By the way, you Armchair GMs,

TD has rightly drawn a ton of criticism for signing Bennie Anderson. FYI, in case you missed it, the other two "finalists" for our LG spot are both struggling mightily this season and wouldn't have been any better.

Rick DeMulling, who signed with Detroit who outbid us at the last minute, has been benched for the last 3 weeks in favor of a rookie, and may be cut this week:

http://www.mlive.com/lions/stories/index.s...0340.xml&coll=1

Kendrick Vincent, who the Ravens signed to replace Bennie, has also been awful.

It's not an easy job, folks.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You missed one. How's that SF offensive juggernaught doing?

The one that we may be debating is whether we would have been better off by getting LJ Shelton and having Gandy play inside. Gandy has more than held his own, and from what I've seen from Shelton has been spotty. It will be decided on whether next year's 3rd rounder will be a better player than Shelton.

It will be decided on whether next year's 3rd rounder will be a better player

Stop brining this up....PLEASE. Regardless of how you feel about shelton, HE WAS RELEASED. it was a good move for TD not to trade the third for him! Argue all day if you want about not signing shelton, but please STOP with this trading a 3rd rounder for him.

Ok ... here's my solution ... put big Mike Williams on the Offensive Line in place of Big Bennie Anderson .... then stick Big Huge Bennie Anderson on the Defensive line as an alternate DT on obvious running plays.

Hell ... he might actually be better run stuffer than some of the smaller weaker guys next to Sam right now!

TD has rightly drawn a ton of criticism for signing Bennie Anderson.  FYI, in case you missed it, the other two "finalists" for our LG spot are both struggling mightily this season and wouldn't have been any better.

Rick DeMulling, who signed with Detroit who outbid us at the last minute, has been benched for the last 3 weeks in favor of a rookie, and may be cut this week:

497102[/snapback]

Who gives a damn about Bennie Anderson.....what about the whole team he has signed.....how exactly have they fared since Ole Tommy Boy has taken over.....oh, that's right........no playoff berths.

Anderson is just one in a glut of failures under the Donahoe watch.

Amazing how many people accept this crap team we have. Oh how far we've fallen as a franchise.

TD has rightly drawn a ton of criticism for signing Bennie Anderson.  FYI, in case you missed it, the other two "finalists" for our LG spot are both struggling mightily this season and wouldn't have been any better.

497102[/snapback]

It's not like Rueben Brown was released yesterday, or it was unforeseeable event. His play was on the decline and his price was not, even most Bills fans speculated in 2002 that Brown would be gone soon.

It's not TD's fault that Demulling, Anderson, and Vincent suck, but it is his fault that he never addressed Rubens departure in the first place. Had TD done his job correctly and recognized what most of us "arm chairs" did about Rueben he could have selected a quality LG in the 2003 draft. But apparently spending a first day pick on a G, with the ability to groom him for a year was not worth it. Even lacking any foresight with Ruben TD still had the opportunity to correct his mistake by drafting a LG in either 2004, or 2005.

Threw the draft he addressed the LG spot with 5th rounder Ben Sobieski in 2003, and 6th rounder Justin Geisinger in 2005. Sobieski is a bust, and Geisinger is not NFL ready, and we don't know if he ever will be. TD has had ample time to address Rueben’s departure but never has, and it's his own fault he was left to choose among these three scabs.

Stop brining this up....PLEASE. Regardless of how you feel about shelton, HE WAS RELEASED. it was a good move for TD not to trade the third for him!  Argue all day if you want about not signing shelton, but please STOP with this trading a 3rd rounder for him.

497144[/snapback]

It matters because it provides a good comparison value.

Bills had a chance to do the trade, but elected not to do so. They had another shot in FA an passed on him. But to estimate the value of not doing the deal, you have to take a look at who took his likely roster spot. Right now, you have to say it's Bennie. Next year, you can look at the pick we'll get from the Henry trade.

Had TD done his job correctly and recognized what most of us "arm chairs" did about Rueben he could have selected a quality LG in the 2003 draft. But apparently spending a first day pick on a G, with the ability to groom him for a year was not worth it. 

497161[/snapback]

Are you saying that this would be a better team with Travis Henry as RB and Eric Steinbach as LG, then Willis McGahee as RB and (full in the blank) LG?

I'd say, not.

No question it was a horrible offseason to look for OL talent. The Draft totally blew there. The FAs were terribly lacking and overpriced. NYG paid a fortune for an average ORT in McKenzie. Ditto for Frisco and OLT Jennings.

I wanted Pork Chop Womack, who cost about as much as Bennie did, but he has been injured and now is where he's been the past few years, the top back-up at every position except C. If there is any second guessing, it was taking Tim Anderson over Sean Locklear last year, as Locklear's fine play at ORT has put the Chop on the pine.

Are you saying that this would be a better team with Travis Henry as RB and Eric Steinbach as LG, then Willis McGahee as RB and (full in the blank) LG?

I'd say, not.

497166[/snapback]

I'm not saying this in a trade this player for that player type way, I'm saying TD has never addressed LG since Brown left with any quality pick from 03-05. We wanted a QB so we traded back in the first round for JP, we needed a guard to replace Rueben but we sit on our hands and hope journeymen can fill the void.

Steinback lasted until the first pick of the second round that year, and If we wanted him that bad we could have traded up for him, or taken a G in the 2nd or 3rd round, or drafted one in 04 or 05 in any of the day one picks. He’s had 3 years to find a replacement for Brown and never did, and subsequently was left to sign a G from a horrible class of FA in 05.

I'm not saying this in a trade this player for that player type way, I'm saying TD has never addressed LG since Brown left with any quality pick from 03-05.  We wanted a QB so we traded back in the first round for JP, we needed a guard to replace Rueben but we sit on our hands and hope journeymen can fill the void.

Steinback lasted until the first pick of the second round that year, and If we wanted him that bad we could have traded up for him, or taken a G in the 2nd or 3rd round, or drafted one in 04 or 05 in any of the day one picks. He’s had 3 years to find a replacement for Brown and never did, and subsequently was left to sign a G from a horrible class of FA in 05.

497178[/snapback]

But you are saying, trade this player for that player.

Agains, it's not that TD hasn't addressed the problem, it's that he's failed at it. They've had a revolving door at LG since Ruben left - Smith, Tucker, & Anderson. Sobieski was seen as a good pick in '03, as he was supposed to have been as good as Steinbach, but injured. If he healed from his injuries, then the pick would have looked brilliant (in retrospect).

No question it was a horrible offseason to look for OL talent.  The Draft totally blew there.  The FAs were terribly lacking and overpriced.  NYG paid a fortune for an average ORT in McKenzie.  Ditto for Frisco and OLT Jennings. 

I wanted Pork Chop Womack, who cost about as much as Bennie did, but he has been injured and now is where he's been the past few years, the top back-up at every position except C.  If there is any second guessing, it was taking Tim Anderson over Sean Locklear last year, as Locklear's fine play at ORT has put the Chop on the pine.

497175[/snapback]

Glad I saw you post again, I had a question about a post you did on Geisinger. You seem to know a lot about him and like him at G, how do you know so much about him in such limited time? Do you just watch a lot of SEC ball or do you have ties to Vanderbilt?

I'm just trying to get an accurate read on his potential and you gave him a ringing endorsement. I'm not questioning your analysis, but the Bills are now trying out MW at LG, and you would think if Gesinger is as good as your post implied the Bills wouldn't be interested in moving Mike over. Perhaps he is shaping up to be CV's eventual replacement?

Any thoughts on MW's potential move and how this affects your analysis on Gesinger?

Glad I saw you post again, I had a question about a post you did on Geisinger. You seem to know a lot about him and like him at G, how do you know so much about him in such limited time? Do you just watch a lot of SEC ball or do you have ties to Vanderbilt?

I'm just trying to get an accurate read on his potential and you gave him a ringing endorsement. I'm not questioning your analysis, but the Bills are now trying out MW at LG, and you would think if Gesinger is as good as your post implied the Bills wouldn't be interested in moving Mike over. Perhaps he is shaping up to be CV's eventual replacement? 

Any thoughts on MW's potential move and how this affects your analysis on Gesinger?

497201[/snapback]

I'm a 'dore - class of '88.

The first thing you need to know about Justin is that he had zero experience playing OG in the SEC. He was a four year OLT starter, facing the likes of David Pollack and Marcus Spears, someone Justin dominated as an ORT in the Senior Bowl. He was ALL SEC as a junior, and played as a senior most of the year with a sprained knee. However, Justin is clearly built more like a guard or ORT. He has a thick, strong lower body and is not quick enough for OLT in the NFL.

I rarely am surprised when NFL teams make errors. What is even more surprising is that folks like you are absolutely, positively sure that whatever an NFL team does, it is the right thing to do. I would like to see Justin get a few starts at OLG, or another position. Whether the Bills do that is their problem, not mine. What I am sure about is what I saw of Justin at Vandy, and as a very impressive OG in the Shrine Game (he played OG in the Shrine, OT in the Senior Bowl).

So, in summation, you and I have two totally different standards. You regard the coaches and GMs as absolutely flawless, and I do not. I trust my eyes... and what the Bills do with Mike Williams has absolutely nothing to do with my opinion of Justin...

But you are saying, trade this player for that player.

Agains, it's not that TD hasn't addressed the problem, it's that he's failed at it.  They've had a revolving door at LG since Ruben left - Smith, Tucker, & Anderson.  Sobieski was seen as a good pick in '03, as he was supposed to have been as good as Steinbach, but injured.  If he healed from his injuries, then the pick would have looked brilliant (in retrospect).

497194[/snapback]

Your taking one out of 9 potential picks, and saying the pick for Willis (Arguably TD’s best selection ever) is the one in which we must have used to find our LG. I'm saying any of the first day picks from 03-05 could have been used, not just the pick we took Willis at. I don't see Smith, Tucker, or Andersons as legitimate solutions at LG, and hoping one would work out is not just a failed solution, but not a solution at all.

I'm talking about a legitimate replacement, meaning either an average to top tier FA, or a pick in the first 3 rounds of the draft. After that you need to get lucky in order to make it work, and as you have pointed out we have tried to get lucky several times and failed. A guy drafted in the first 3 round may not work out either, but at the very least I could argue that TD has made a serious attempt to upgrade that position, as it stands I can't make that argument.

So, in summation, you and I have two totally different standards.  You regard the coaches and GMs as absolutely flawless, and I do not.  I trust my eyes... and what the Bills do with Mike Williams has absolutely nothing to do with my opinion of Justin...

497209[/snapback]

I think you took my post as an attack on your review of Justin, but that wasn't the intention. I really appreciate the scouting reports, and just wanted your opinion on MW's move, and how that affects Gesinger.

If a guy is playing a position in a back up role, and the team decides to move over a Starter from a different spot, that tells me Geisinger isn't NFL ready yet. I'm not saying that he won't develop into the player you say he will, but given the limited time I can see these guys in action I try and rely more on our coaches analysis then my own or anybody elses.

"If a guy is playing a position in a back up role, and the team decides to move over a Starter from a different spot, that tells me Geisinger isn't NFL ready yet."

You are someone who makes a lot of assumptions, trusting the coaches as unimpeachable.

The Bills clearly are not happy with Mike. They have a lot of cash invested in Mike, and his future as an OT with the Bills could very well be over. The coaches may just want to look at Mike at OG to see if there is something worth keeping there. I would not conclude that Justin "is not ready" because of that. The coaches may even think that, but that doesn't make it correct, it just makes it their opinion, as it was their opinion that Bennie was the answer at ORG for $5 mil, and their opinion was a tad off on that even with years of Ravens film to study. The FO and the coaches make errors. Paying up for Bennie and Drafting Big Mike were two of them. Passing over Randy Starks and Sean Locklear for Tim Anderson was another. Wait until you see Justin play, and then make "your" opinion based on that observation, and not what some reporter or coach says about that.

I think you took my post as an attack on your review of Justin, but that wasn't the intention. I really appreciate the scouting reports, and just wanted your opinion on MW's move, and how that affects Gesinger.

If a guy is playing a position in a back up role, and the team decides to move over a Starter from a different spot, that tells me Geisinger isn't NFL ready yet. I'm not saying that he won't develop into the player you say he will, but given the limited time I can see these guys in action I try and rely more on our coaches analysis then my own or anybody else’s.

Just wanted to edit this to add a question for you, given that Justin needs to switch from T to G at what point do you think his talent will earn him a role in the starting lineup? Obviously this will be influenced by who we have at those positions, but G seems like a position he could break threw at with CV get older and less durable, BA sucking, and MW probably needing awhile to be effective in any position changes?

6th roundres usually take a number of years to develop - taht is why they are 6th roundrrs - technical knowledge or expertise of pro game or techniques required at the NFL level, strength, quickness, etc.

497227[/snapback]

Larry P was fun to watch...

Justin is a position switcher - that's why he fell to round 6.