By the way, you Armchair GMs,

the panthers not only signed wahle, they signed ken lucas to a big money deal......this after paying the dollars to retain some of their own key young players the past two years -- i.e. mike rucker, kris jenkins, and steve smith.......even after all that they still found cap room to give dan morgan, another key young player, a big contract extension.......how can a team that has made it to the super bowl just two years ago be in a better salary cap position then us? shouldn't we have been the ones pursuing QUALITY free agents last off-season?.......seems to me the panthers are running their team well and we are paying for mistakes in drafting and free agency.......

The Panthers made their run a couple of years back due to strong drafting and middle of the road free agent signings. Much like the Pats, they had a strong team mentality.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Panthers made their run a couple of years back due to strong drafting and middle of the road free agent signings. Much like the Pats, they had a strong team mentality.

498419[/snapback]

and what do you attribute this year's success to? that team is posed to make the playoffs again while we watch from the outside......

I know no one remembers anything from last week much less 4 years ago, but I don't recall too many people questioning the pick of Mike Williams back when he was drafted.  There was some debate whether Bryan McKinnie was better, but the feeling was either pick was cant-miss.  Turns out both Williams and McKinnie have underperformed.  I don't see how TD can be blamed for drafting Mike Williams.  We needed O-line help and he was considered a stud then.

PTR

497486[/snapback]

he was no stud-

he was a reach to fill a spot of need

he was quick for a man his huge size- which unfortunately is not quick enough to pass block in the NFL

for the cap room he has eaten, he is a total disaster.

TD needed to strike gold with the #4, even with a player or a trade for multiple picks. He failed miserably and the team will still be paying the price at least into next year.

he was no stud-

he was a reach to fill a spot of need

he was quick for a man his huge size- which unfortunately is not quick enough to pass block in the NFL

for the cap room he has eaten, he is a total disaster.

TD needed to strike gold with the #4, even with a player or a trade for multiple picks. He failed miserably and the team will still be paying the price at least into next year.

498593[/snapback]

I have to admit this a brilliant use of hindsight.

My memory serves that the talk in April '02 wasn't whether Williams was a reach, but whether it would be McKinnie or Williams. The two were concensus top 10 picks on nearly every draft board.