Danger of looking at stats

GG

If you look at the stats of the Steelers/Green Bay game, you may come away with the idea that Steelers had an effective rushing attack in the limited time they had the ball.

What you may not see is that Deuce got 6 of his 15 carries in the last two series, as Pitt was icing the game away. What you won't see is Green Bay overloading on run defense to force Pitt to win with low-used Batch's passing. What you won't see is Whisenhunt going with a pass happy offense and crazy reverses to Randle El. What you won't see is the ineffectiveness of Pitt's offense in playing against a woeful GB defense that was stacked against the run.

But, I'm guessing that many will keep saying that Pitt is the powerhouse run team, while Mularkey & Clements are gadgetry guys.

Point taken. Just like our ratio of running plays to passing plays earlier in the year. I was told we were running a balanced attack, based on numbers. The numbers failed to show that the run was all but abandoned after the opening drive until garbage time, except for a few big gainers on first down.

But,but,but....look at the stats.... :ph34r:

yup, had parker on my fantasy team this week, and was shocked to see in the 3rd quarter that stillers only had about 15 carries all game...staley literally got ALL of his carries while they were running out the clock...

Yes, if you look only at stats instead of watching the games, you might think that:

* Drew Bledsoe has thrown for all those yards, so he belongs in the HOF.

* Bennie Anderson started at OG for the Ravens when Jamal ran for over 2000 yards, so he was a nice pick-up by TD.

etc, etc, etc. :ph34r:

Point taken. Just like our ratio of running plays to passing plays earlier in the year. I was told we were running a balanced attack, based on numbers. The numbers failed to show that the run was all but abandoned after the opening drive until garbage time, except for a few big gainers on first down.

But,but,but....look at the stats.... :ph34r:

496410[/snapback]

I believe the point was that you shouldn't look at the stats of those games in a vacuum, without recognizing the defenses that were thrown against a rookie QB, and say that "only if we ran some more, we'd win." Just look at Pittsburgh, they run first, no matter who's behind center.

I believe the point was that you shouldn't look at the stats of those games in a vacuum, without recognizing the defenses that were thrown against a rookie QB, and say that "only if we ran some more, we'd win."  Just look at Pittsburgh, they run first, no matter who's behind center.

496431[/snapback]

What's their record again ?

when the jests used 5 linemen against pitts in the play offs last year they nearly beat them too.

sad thing is, the bills can be beaten the same way.

we have superior talent at starting tail back, wr, but our qb, oline and TE are not as good at all.

Another example..... many people probably think that Joe Gibbs has a powerhouse rushing team behind Clinton Portis, and yet on *every* third down, even third-and-short, Washington comes out lined up in the *Shotgun.*

JDG

If you look at the stats of the Steelers/Green Bay game, you may come away with the idea that Steelers had an effective rushing attack in the limited time they had the ball.

What you may not see is that Deuce got 6 of his 15 carries in the last two series, as Pitt was icing the game away.  What you won't see is Green Bay overloading on run defense to force Pitt to win with low-used Batch's passing.  What you won't see is Whisenhunt going with a pass happy offense and crazy reverses to Randle El.  What you won't see is the ineffectiveness of Pitt's offense in playing against a woeful GB defense that was stacked against the run.

But, I'm guessing that many will keep saying that Pitt is the powerhouse run team, while Mularkey & Clements are gadgetry guys.

496404[/snapback]

Our NE v. Bills game is another instance, eh.

yup, had parker on my fantasy team this week, and was shocked to see in the 3rd quarter that stillers only had about 15 carries all game...staley literally got ALL of his carries while they were running out the clock...

496412[/snapback]

so...staley would be a bad fantasy pickup? :doh:

Another example..... many people probably think that Joe Gibbs has a powerhouse rushing team behind Clinton Portis, and yet on *every* third down, even third-and-short, Washington comes out lined up in the *Shotgun.*

JDG

496678[/snapback]

I watched that game when portis had 9 yards...

Washington didn't even try to run the ball, every play was a passing play. Of course you are going to suck when you just throw the ball all day. Everybody knew Brunell was going to throw it, especially the Giants defense. What kind of power running team doesn't run the ball?

we have superior talent at starting tail back, wr, but our qb, oline and TE are not as good at all.

496483[/snapback]

Agreed about the oline and TE. Holcomb has played beyond expectations though. His 92 QB rating is hard to achieve in general, but especially when you're playing behind that kind of line, and when your receivers drop too many passes.

Agreed about the oline and TE. Holcomb has played beyond expectations though. His 92 QB rating is hard to achieve in general, but especially when you're playing behind that kind of line, and when your receivers drop too many passes.

496833[/snapback]

*sigh* I should've known you'd throw something like that in wherever you could fit it in....

Give it a rest Kelly... :doh:

496833[/snapback]

Enough with the crusade, huh? Its getting pretty old...