USA Today Article/Editorial

buckeyemike

The rise of the fair-weather fan.

If this has already been posted, please don't bite my head off, OK?   :blink:

Mike

494756[/snapback]

Nice piece. Not to sound corny, or trite, but I think that this is precisely why I love coming to the Stadium Wall and the Sabres message board. I mean where else can I go to argue about Kelly Holcomb's arm strength, or proclaim that Kotilik has the hardest slap shot in Sabres history, this side of Jerry Korab? I don't know what percentage of the memebers on the board actually live in WNY, but I bet it is not more than half. Yet, we all share a common background, and converse about minutia (sp?) untill we are blue in the face. In some ways we are all neighbors. If I mention Kelly Holcomb here in Austin, people look at me like I am talking about some contemporary of Calamity Jane!

Nice piece.  Not to sound corny, or trite, but I think that this is precisely why I love coming to the Stadium Wall and the Sabres message board.  I mean where else can I go to argue about Kelly Holcomb's arm strength, or proclaim that Kotilik has the hardest slap shot in Sabres history, this side of Jerry Korab?  I don't know what percentage of the memebers on the board actually live in WNY, but I bet it is not more than half.  Yet, we all share a common background, and converse about minutia (sp?) untill we are blue in the face. In some ways we are all neighbors. If I mention Kelly Holcomb here in Austin, people look at me like I am talking about some contemporary of Calamity Jane!

494782[/snapback]

We ARE opinionated dicks, aren't we.. :blink:

It's a pretty good article, indeed, and a reminder that being successful all the time loses its luster. The only true way to enjoy a 13-3 season is to have lived through the 3-13s. Somehow. Some way. We'll be back. And if I don't get to see it, maybe my son will.

I thought this article spoke volumes...that's why I posted it.

In our instant society, I am reminded of the old Veruca Salt song "I Want It Now, Daddy".

See how much Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (the book, not the movie) can teach us? :blink: The moral of the story is to keep with your teams (and your circumstances) through thick and thin, and ultimately, rewards will come.

Unless of course, your team moves like mine did.

Mike

Unless of course, your team moves like mine did. 

494958[/snapback]

There you go.

Lance Armstrong said something in an interview I'll never forget.

He said something to the effect of "No, you can't beat cancer just by trying hard. Every day, I met the families of people who died trying harder than I did to beat cancer."

He was totally right. Sometimes, sh-- happens no matter how good-spirited or hard-working you are. Some people (and teams) are just destined to forever be a loser.

The Bills are such a team.

Sometimes, sh-- happens no matter how good-spirited or hard-working you are. Some people (and teams) are just destined to forever be a loser.

The Bills are such a team.

494963[/snapback]

I disagree with the Bills part, but as my father-in-law sometimes says, "Poo occurs". And it happens to everyone, no matter what ESPN may say about Tom Brady or The Great Bruschi (We're not worthy!).

I bet Patriot fans would have said the same thing about their team 10 years ago.

Mike

I bet Patriot fans would have said the same thing about their team 10 years ago.

494971[/snapback]

Talk about fairweather fans, man. Pre-1993, they were all Giants fans, then became Pats fans when Parcells became coach.

With the Pats spiralling into the crapper, and the rise of the Giants again, it's time for those Pats "fans" to head down to their basements, and up to their attics, and dust off those Giants flags, and Taylor and Simms jerseys.

Guest BackInDaDay
The rise of the fair-weather fan.

If this has already been posted, please don't bite my head off, OK?  :blink:

Mike

494756[/snapback]

Good article. I think the Monday night game he refers to may have been against the Raiders. at least 30 years ago. I forget the details, but I remember the elation of waiching my team upset Oakland on national TV.

Good article.  I think the Monday night game he refers to may have been against the Raiders. at least 30 years ago.  I forget the details, but I remember the elation of waiching my team upset Oakland on national TV.

495003[/snapback]

I think it's the Oakland game, too.

That was the one where the Bills trailed 13-7 with about four minutes left and the final was 21-20 after Rashad caught the winning TD with 30 seconds to go.

The opening MNF game of the 1974 season (September 16, 1974).

Mike