The Blues

HLP

Well, I was so depressed as to the game last sunday I went out and purchased a new 50" Sony Wega TV and tickets to the San Diego/Bills games. This has been has expensive week !!! Now, I want to watch the Bills win on my TV from THIS POINT ON !!!!!

You like the blues.  Get ready for some more of them.  This is the BEST blues DVD I know of ...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00016R12...&s=dvd&v=glance

This is where SRV learned his trade.  It is entertaining and it is sure going to beat watching the Bills lose on your brand new TV.

493392[/snapback]

Albert King! Nice, Surf-dude...

If you are going to learn blues, start by picking up greatest hits CDs by Stevie Ray Vaughan, T Bone Walker, BB King, Muddy Waters, Buddy Guy and maybe even throw in some old Yardbirds. There is also a great album by Paul Rodgers called Muddy Water Blues with many blues legends playing on it that serves as a good intro to the blues.

If nothing else, get a copy of the first Blues Brothers album!

I'd start with compilation albums from the labels. Helps you figure out what type(s) of blues you like best (yes, there's more than one...really...Chicago (which has West Side and South Side sub-divisions), Delta, Austin, West Coast, etc etc). Alligator Records has some nice sets, and they are one of the "big names" in the field.

House Of Blues Records has also put out some nice compilations. Then, if you have an idea of what kinds of blues you like, start looking at the Blues Masters series for ideas on artists.

If you're into the SRV thing, you'll probably like Buddy Guy, Otis Rush, Albert King, Lonnie Mack, Luther Allison for starters...

get sirius radio and tune into Channel 74, Sirius Blues

Got any other blues cds recomendations?  I was at Kingston Mines recently and loved the music but am not sure what to pick up.  Keep the recomendations coming please!

493529[/snapback]

If you're venturing into bluew-rock I'd add a couple of Roy Buchanan to your list, too.

I'd start with "Livestock" ( a rare GREAT live album) and "Anthology" is a nice pick, too as it gives a career perspective (musically and through the written material).

This MoFo could really play.

Thanks for the suggestions! I love SRV and have a bunch of his stuff. I enjoy Electric blues and Mississippi Delta Blues. Has anyone been to Kingston Mines? I have been to hundreds of great shows but that is the greatest musical performance I have ever seen. I was blown away!

Thanks for the suggestions!  I love SRV and have a bunch of his stuff.

SRV fans would definitely enjoy listening to Johnny Winter, as he was one of SRV's influences. My favorite so far is a compilation of cuts from three albums he made on Alligator records in the 1980's into one called "Deluxe Edition". Most CD's I buy last weeks before I tire of hearing them. This cd has been playing in my truck nearly every day for 2-3 years now - I just haven't found anything that can take it's place. You can hear short cuts from the songs on amazon.

SRV fans would definitely enjoy listening to Johnny Winter, as he was one of SRV's influences. My favorite so far is a compilation of cuts from three albums he made on Alligator records in the 1980's into one called "Deluxe Edition". Most CD's I buy last weeks before I tire of hearing them. This cd has been playing in my truck nearly every day for 2-3 years now - I just haven't found anything that can take it's place. You can hear short cuts from the songs on amazon.

494280[/snapback]

What's really fun is the stuff he did with Muddy. Get Muddy Waters' Hard Again. Great album. Some of the other more modern kinds of folk in the SRV vein, which you may or may not like are Chris Duarte and Tinsley Ellis. Older generation folks that served as influences to SRV that I didn't previously mention would include Albert Collins, Johnny Copeland, T-Bone Walker and Freddie King.

All great suggestions but if you want to hear some good blues by somebody still alive, check out Cephas and Wiggins.

They tour periodically - they will be at Jorma's Ranch in March '06 and playing within walking distance of my house in January.

494397[/snapback]

There are plenty of good "living" artists, I gave a few examples (Buddy Guy, Otis Rush, Lonnie Mack, Chris Duarte, Tinsley Ellis). On the acoustic blues side, you can add Robert Jr. Lockwood ("son" of Robert Johnson), Keb Mo', Taj Mahal, John Hammond Jr., Paul Rishell and Annie Raines, and someone I really like who is of the newer generation is Alvin Youngblood Hart.

Lots of stuff...I was just working top-of-mind, and when going from SRV as an introduction, you tend to work backwards from there...

What's really fun is the stuff he did with Muddy.  Get Muddy Waters' Hard Again.  Great album.  Some of the other more modern kinds of folk in the SRV vein, which you may or may not like are Chris Duarte and Tinsley Ellis.  Older generation folks that served as influences to SRV that I didn't previously mention would include Albert Collins, Johnny Copeland, T-Bone Walker and Freddie King.

494389[/snapback]

Outstanding. Between this and the other thread on blues, I'm sure to find some of the 'best of the best' blues cd's by other artists I can enjoy. The only other blues cd's I have besides Johnny Winters are compilations of various artists.

I always say stick with the Delta stuff and usually the older the better - cut through the production values to the raw meat....just about any title by these guys is the real deal

Howlin Wolf

Sonny Boy Williamson

John Lee Hooker

Junior Kimbrough

Lightnin Hopkins

Muddy Waters

Elmore James

Blind Willie Johnson

Robert Johnson

Son House

Charlie Patton