Buffalo's offseason plan

Outkast

I think they will plan a few more parades. Come out with a new jersey. Bring in another QB that wears #11 (yeah, Roscoe will sell the number). Tell us all how JP WILL DEFINATELY be ready this time. Try to find some more trashy offensive lineman that no one else wanted. Let #22 go and replace him with a CB that we will draft in the first round. Am I missing something?

I think they will plan a few more parades. Come out with a new jersey. Bring in another QB that wears #11 (yeah, Roscoe will sell the number). Tell us all how JP WILL DEFINATELY be ready this time. Try to find some more trashy offensive lineman that no one else wanted. Let #22 go and replace him with a CB that we will draft in the first round. Am I missing something?

491292[/snapback]

A run stuffer would be nice.

A run stuffer is an absolute MORAL imperative........FORGET IT!!! As is a LT, Speed rushing OLB and/or RDE and a pass catching TE.........

491320[/snapback]

Hopefully Everett is healthy and hes the pass catching TE this offense needs. I think we are ok with our DEs but would love to see Posey replaced by a great passrushing LB. We definately need a DT and some oline help. I hope we can resign Nate and fill our needs between FAs and the draft. The extra third round pick for Travis will help- it most definately will be a high third round pick

If, by the end of this year, Losman isn't dominating in practice or showing flashes of ability in whatever games he's in, I'd trade him away for a 2nd round pick. I'd also franchise Clements, then trade him away for a first round pick. My draft would look like this:

1a. DT

1b. (from Clements) edge-rushing DE

2a. DT

2b. (from Losman) OG

3a. OLB (an upgrade to Posey)

3b. (from Henry) OG

4. SS (Lawyer Milloy isn't getting any younger)

5. QB

6. Offensive RT (Greg Jerman isn't the answer at backup RT)

7. CB

The starting offensive line for next season would be Gandy, 2nd round pick, Preston, 3rd round pick, Mike Williams. Assuming the draft picks worked out, the team would be quite strong along both the offensive and defensive lines. A young player like Eric King could take the place of Clements, with the 7th round pick providing depth. I know it's a downgrade at the CB position, but that's the price you pay for upgrading elsewhere.

If, by the end of this year, Losman isn't dominating in practice or showing flashes of ability in whatever games he's in, I'd trade him away for a 2nd round pick. I'd also franchise Clements, then trade him away for a first round pick. My draft would look like this:

1a. DT

1b. (from Clements) edge-rushing DE

2a. DT

2b. (from Losman) OG

3a. OLB (an upgrade to Posey)

3b. (from Henry) OG

4. SS (Lawyer Milloy isn't getting any younger)

5. QB

6. Offensive RT (Greg Jerman isn't the answer at backup RT)

7. CB

The starting offensive line for next season would be Gandy, 2nd round pick, Preston, 3rd round pick, Mike Williams. Assuming the draft picks worked out, the team would be quite strong along both the offensive and defensive lines. A young player like Eric King could take the place of Clements, with the 7th round pick providing depth. I know it's a downgrade at the CB position, but that's the price you pay for upgrading elsewhere.

493706[/snapback]

I hope that Clements trade of yours gets the Bills a top 3 pick, because after Boston College's Mathias Kiwanuka, there's a huge dropoff @ DE. To pass up a stud OL for a DE other than Kiwanuka would be wrong.

I hope that Clements trade of yours gets the Bills a top 3 pick, because after Boston College's Mathias Kiwanuka, there's a huge dropoff @ DE.  To pass up a stud OL for a DE other than Kiwanuka would be wrong.

493711[/snapback]

If the Bills lose enough games, maybe their record will get them that top 3 pick. The above plan is flexible, but by the end of the draft's first day I want the Bills to have used at least two picks on the offensive line, and three picks on the defensive line. I don't know that taking an offensive lineman very early in the draft would be their best move, because Gandy and Williams aren't the main problem with the line, and you wouldn't take a guard with a top-10 pick.

491292[/snapback]

Well...1st and formost I hope the Bills have a completely revamped Scouting Department and Head of Football Operations to make these tough decisions/Draft Picks...Because the current bunch has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt they cannot put a consistant Winning Product on the Field... :)

If the Bills lose enough games, maybe their record will get them that top 3 pick. The above plan is flexible, but by the end of the draft's first day I want the Bills to have used at least two picks on the offensive line, and three picks on the defensive line. I don't know that taking an offensive lineman very early in the draft would be their best move, because Gandy and Williams aren't the main problem with the line, and you wouldn't take a guard with a top-10 pick.

493714[/snapback]

If D'Brickashaw Ferguson or Marcus McNeill are available w/ the Bills' first round pick, they had better take him for many of the same reasons we drafted McGahee even while we had Travis Henry. Ferguson is a franchise LT and while I don't think McNeill is of the same caliber, he's very close. Either would be a significant upgrade from Gandy.

If D'Brickashaw Ferguson or Marcus McNeill are available w/ the Bills' first round pick, they had better take him for many of the same reasons we drafted McGahee even while we had Travis Henry.  Ferguson is a franchise LT and while I don't think McNeill is of the same caliber, he's very close.  Either would be a significant upgrade from Gandy.

493732[/snapback]

Or they could trade up to get Mathias Kiwanuka. But I have to admit I wouldn't mind having a significant upgrade from Gandy.

Or they could trade up to get Mathias Kiwanuka. But I have to admit I wouldn't mind having a significant upgrade from Gandy.

493737[/snapback]

Interesting.

I guess, if it were me making the decision (don't I wish), I'd have to see what else was available and what type of impact the player would have. Kiwanuka is nice, but I'm not as certain he'll be as dominant as a guy like Julius Peppers or Dwight Freeney. He's clearly the class of the DEs in this draft, but does he deserve to be mentioned w/ some of the best DEs to come in the league in the last decade or so? From what I've read about Ferguson, he does compare to guys like Pace, Boselli, and Ogden, so I would be inclined to go in that direction.

Wouldn't that be a great situation to be in, though? How do you lose if you had to choose between Kiwanuka or Ferguson?

R.Rich, do you think that Peters has the athleticism to play LT in the NFL? I agree Gandy is not that good for a starter, and D'Brickashaw (love that name) would be awesome, but he'll go top 5. We may not be that bad, especially if Houston decides to finally get serious about their OL.

What about a real run-stuffing DT in the 1st round, a guy like this...

Gabe Watson, DT, Michigan: At 6-4, 333 pounds, he has the size teams crave from their inside people. But he's also athletic for a man that size.

I figure if there's a way Peters can play LT, we could focus FA $$ on signing a capable LG (Anderson is a disaster in pass blocking) and have an OL that looks like this..

LT - Peters

LG - FA

C - Preston

RG - Villarial

RT - MW

With Watson, we address our Run D, which can only make our LBs better. We can use the 2nd round for a SS or MLB to eventually replace Milloy/Fletcher.

Interesting. 

I guess, if it were me making the decision (don't I wish), I'd have to see what else was available and what type of impact the player would have.  Kiwanuka is nice, but I'm not as certain he'll be as dominant as a guy like Julius Peppers or Dwight Freeney.  He's clearly the class of the DEs in this draft, but does he deserve to be mentioned w/ some of the best DEs to come in the league in the last decade or so?  From what I've read about Ferguson, he does compare to guys like Pace, Boselli, and Ogden, so I would be inclined to go in that direction. 

Wouldn't that be a great situation to be in, though?  How do you lose if you had to choose between Kiwanuka or Ferguson?

493759[/snapback]

Well, I'm a litttle skeptical of draft guides. Dwight Freeny was considered a reach, while Erik Flowers was considered a reasonable pick. But assuming the draft guides are right about the players you mention--which they may well be--it would be very, very hard to pass up a guy in the same class as Ogden.

R.Rich, do you think that Peters has the athleticism to play LT in the NFL?  I agree Gandy is not that good for a starter, and D'Brickashaw (love that name) would be awesome, but he'll go top 5.  We may not be that bad, especially if Houston decides to finally get serious about their OL.

I figure if there's a way Peters can play LT, we could focus FA $$ on signing a capable LG (Anderson is a disaster in pass blocking) and have an OL that looks like this..

LT - Peters

LG - FA

C - Preston

RG - Villarial

RT - MW

With Watson, we address our Run D, which can only make our LBs better.  We can use the 2nd round for a SS or MLB to eventually replace Milloy/Fletcher.

493769[/snapback]

Peters has nice athleticism and good size, so I'd say it's possible for him to play LT.

Watson is nice; a big run stuffer to clog the lanes for the D line. Though if we're going to look for that in the first, I'd love to see us go after Rodrique Wright of Texas first. That guy is tough! He had some injury problems last season, but is healthy and back to wreaking havoc. He goes about 6-5 and 320, plus he's very quick. There's also Haloti Ngata from Oregon who is even bigger than Wright (6-5, 345) and is also quick for a guy his size. Wright and Ngata will probably go in the first, but I think they could be had in the mid to late first.

R.Rich, do you think that Peters has the athleticism to play LT in the NFL?  I agree Gandy is not that good for a starter, and D'Brickashaw (love that name) would be awesome, but he'll go top 5.  We may not be that bad, especially if Houston decides to finally get serious about their OL.

LT - Peters

LG - FA

C - Preston

RG - Villarial

RT - MW

With Watson, we address our Run D, which can only make our LBs better.  We can use the 2nd round for a SS or MLB to eventually replace Milloy/Fletcher.

493769[/snapback]

I like the thought of going DT, but not Gabe Watson. Watson is not known for his work ethic, and despite his massive size and strength is known for playing a little soft at times (Sam Adams). We need a power DT that can eat up blockers and allow Sam to free lance, Check out this post I just did on Oregon DT Haloti Ngata.