I put my cat to sleep today

The Jokeman

What, someone deleted my perfectly reasonable observation that saying "Losing a pet is just like losing a member of your family", followed by "Grieve for a while, then maybe smokeyII is in the picture" is just a little bit inconsistent?

481624[/snapback]

Particularly in light of the fact that my aunt just died an hour ago... :rolleyes:

Yeah, no kidding. Massive stroke.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not about the cat. Smokey is just fine.

Our condolences are for the humans who are suffering the loss, be it a family pet or a relative - it's still a very painfull time for those affected. That's why human decency is in order here - and cat jokes are best kept for another day.

Her name was Smokey, I got her at six weeks so she's been a large part of my life (I'm 28). I can still remember the day I got her like it was yesterday. Though she hadn't been her self of late, not eating, constantly sleeping and finally this morning she couldn't even sit up or walk anymore.  She was only friendly to me and my folks anyone else that came to the house would get hissed at and clawed at. She even let out one last hiss at the vet before taking her last breath.

481511[/snapback]

Wow...19 years old. Sorry for your loss. Having a pet for that long is really something special. I feel for you, Jokey.

Sorry for your loss. You are lucky to have enjoyed a cat for so long.

I dearly love my cat and my dog (and my wife!).

We lost a dog last year after he had been our pal for 12 years. It made me wonder what life would be like if dogs and cats lived to 75 or 80. That would be quite strange, I figure.

Jokeman,

I'm sorry for your loss.

My wife and I inherited a cat when we got married, it lived to be about 19 (we couldn't tell exactly how old she was). She was so mean she'd swipe you as she walked by, but in the later years she became alot friendlier and I could carry her around without fear of becoming a bloody mess. Same thing as you, the day came and she couldn't walk so we had to put her down. It was a very sad time for us.

Within a week we visited a shelter and found 2 male littermates which were about 1 yr old. They're about 8 yrs old now, and it's been an entertaining 7 yrs watching them become members of the family.

I know you'll never be able to replace Smokey, but do youself a favor and get 2 who are littermates or get along, to replace him. You won't regret it.

I still miss my Scottish Terrier I had as a kid, so I guess you never really get over pets. They're part of the family.

Hang in there Jokeman...

Her name was Smokey, I got her at six weeks so she's been a large part of my life (I'm 28). I can still remember the day I got her like it was yesterday. Though she hadn't been her self of late, not eating, constantly sleeping and finally this morning she couldn't even sit up or walk anymore.  She was only friendly to me and my folks anyone else that came to the house would get hissed at and clawed at. She even let out one last hiss at the vet before taking her last breath.

481511[/snapback]

Sorry to hear that Jokeman.

I put my dog to sleep two years ago, and it still bothers me. I had him creamated, and have his ashes on my desk. I still talk to "him" once and awhile.

It will get easier my friend, that I promise. Hang in there.

I put my dog to sleep two years ago, and it still bothers me. I had him creamated, and have his ashes on my desk. I still talk to "him" once and awhile.

482948[/snapback]

:blush:

482948[/snapback]

You never shared that little vignette with your fiancee, did you? :blush:

Sorry for your loss..I was watching a friend's cat a few months back and he had to be put down due to a blood parasite..he wasn't mine but it was still so hard to handle...I can't imagine what I'd feel like if I had to put my Oreo down...he's had a bad cold recently and the thought has crossed my mind if he doesn't get better...but this morning, I am seeing some definite improvement after some more Vitamin C was added to his diet