Do the Chargers got a tarde brewing?

Buccaneers | Rattay Acquired from San Francisco

Tue, 18 Oct 2005 14:02:39 -0700

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have acquired QB Tim Rattay from the San Francisco 49ers for a conditional draft choice.

I guess the Bucs are out of this race!!!

479750[/snapback]

Wow, where are you finding this stuff? This is a lot of movement. Unprecendented in the modern NFL.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, where are you finding this stuff? This is a lot of movement. Unprecendented in the modern NFL.

479754[/snapback]

KFFL

Chargers | Fonoti Sent to Minnesota for Draft Pick

Tue, 18 Oct 2005 13:52:20 -0700

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports the San Diego Chargers have traded OG Toniu Fonoti to the Minnesota Vikings for a seventh-round draft choice in 2006. The pick could be upgraded to a sixth-rounder if certain conditions are met.

Folks are moving all over the place!!

CMON TD I've heard of these guys!!! :(

Dolphins | Lemon and Draft Choice Acquired from San Diego

Tue, 18 Oct 2005 13:36:53 -0700

ESPNews reports the Miami Dolphins have obtained QB Cleo Lemon and an undisclosed draft choice from the San Diego Chargers for backup QB A.J. Feeley.

479713[/snapback]

Cleo Lemon... WTF???? :(

I remember that guy being lights out in the preseason.  Of course, it was against 3rd stringers, but you never know.

It's the Phins, though, so I hope he sucks.

479823[/snapback]

You and AKC can argue about Lemon also. I think he's overrated, but still one of the best QB's of all time, if put into the right system.

TAMPA, Fla. - Tim Rattay was acquired Tuesday by Tampa Bay as the Buccaneers addressed their shortage at quarterback after Brian Griese injured his knee.

The Bucs sent an undisclosed draft choice to the San Francisco 49ers for the six-year veteran, who lost his job in San Francisco after four weeks to top overall draft pick Alex Smith. The transaction beat the NFL trading deadline of 4 p.m. Tuesday.

If we take your list and assume that Rivers gets traded, not Brees, what team would/could it be?

It probably wouldn't be the fish or else it would already be done.

It is probably not a team in contention unless they are very desperate.  Rivers will likely struggle for a while before clicking.  I would imagine that if the Chargers traded him to a lower level team they would take a draft pick, but might look for a player from a contender, especially and AFC contender.  I don't know the Chargers current list of needs.

The Bucs are deperate, but would Rivers get them any more than Simms?  I doubt it. 

The Jets have almost got to be coming to grips with a bad 05.  I can see them going after Rivers only if they know Pennington is toast for good (so maybe, but doubtful).

The Ravens aren't contending but might be stupid enough to think they are.  Maybe but doubtful.

To me, this leaves the Browns and the Cards.  Either one fits.  Maybe the Browns moreso.

Of course it could be Rivers for Flutie straight up.

479723[/snapback]

I don't think the Jets can afford a Phillip Rivers either this year or next. I think the idiotic contract they gave Pennington buts them in a bad way cap wise next year.

I could see the Bears or Ravens making a move for Rivers in the off season.

Chargers | Feeley Acquired from Dolphins

Tue, 18 Oct 2005 13:22:04 -0700

ESPN reports the San Diego Chargers have acquired QB A.J. Feeley from the Miami Dolphins.

Why the hell would they acquire Feeley if they didn't plan on moving either Rivers or Brees?

479687[/snapback]

Do you realize that Cleo Lemon was their third string QB? Do you think any team would give up their second and third string QB's that know the offensive system in the middle of the season and take on Feeley? Did you even think before you posted? Gimme a break, Rivers and Brees are both in San Diego for the rest of this season.

Why the hell would they acquire Feeley if they didn't plan on moving either Rivers or Brees?

479687[/snapback]

I started thinking about that question, and this is as close to an answer as I could find:

"I don't discuss our football business," [Chargers] general manager A.J. Smith said. "I understand speculation as to why is A.J. Feeley here and not Cleo Lemon. People should focus on the draft pick rather than the quarterback.

"We stockpile players, bring in the best players. At the end of the year, we make decisions. This gives us injury protection."

The quote's from http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8980247

Hahaha!!! 

Is Philip Rivers overrated?

479733[/snapback]

Was he drafted too high, yes.

Is he overrated... hard to tell.

To quote his nfl.com profile, "The second-leading passer in NCAA history with 13,484 career passing yards — breaking school and Atlantic Coast Conference records — he also set an NCAA record with 51 career starts at quarterback … Rivers finished second in NCAA history with 13,582 career yards of total offense … He tied for fifth in NCAA history with 95 career touchdown passes and also broke school and ACC career records for passing attempts (1,710), pass completions (1,147), touchdowns responsible for (112), 300-yard passing games (18) and 400-yard passing games (7)"