NFL gets sued.

erynthered

Fezhead teaching Bib security.

:rolleyes:  :w00t:  :lol:

Ranks right up there with BF teaching Chef Jim to cook.

:lol:

476231[/snapback]

No, because Chef Jim, no longer practices, so maybe BF was aware of some new techniques.

Bob doesn't have that problem. :(

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, kids...something for everybody in this thread:

http://www.concurringopinions.com/archives...irline_scr.html

Maybe they'll make one for a sports stadium, too!

Edit: Should have used this link...but both are good:

http://prawfsblawg.blogs.com/prawfsblawg/2...or_tots_an.html

after going 5 seasons without a playoff berth... im getting more violent than all those terrorists altogether  :(

476232[/snapback]

I hear you.

I might have acted an ass tonight, but DAMN! Give me something, anything as a Bills fan. Don't have much. Don't expect much, either. But give me something. It's been too many years. Other teams can at least look competitive, we're kids with crayons.

You know I'm as liberal and as much for civil and personal rights as the next guy, but seriously, Just shut up and go to the damn game!!!

He said surrendering rights a little now can lead to greater curbs to freedom later, like being searched at the mall or while walking down the street. So he hopes to put a stop to it. "I'm going to practice what I preach," Johnston said.

Well when we stop having nutcases throwing beer bottles and trying to bring knives into the stadiums, I'll be all for no more patdowns. Until then, I'd like to attend a sporting event and feel safe.

If that were the case, I'd sue, too.  Especially since they don't allow me to protect myself because they won't allow me to exercise my 2nd Amendment rights.

You're just as much a sheep as this person is.

We continue to ridicule the symptoms while ignoring the real problem (our overwhelming and overbearing federal government).

475924[/snapback]

I'm sure you would sue....that's my point. Apparently the only way to accomplish anything in this country is just that. Sue if they pat you down and sue if they don't. Who cares as long as "I" get something out of it. I'm not so much responding to the topic. I'm more concerned with the methodology. As far as being a sheep??? whatever.

I finally found the "money post" back on page 3...

Well, it was certainly unfortunate that Fezmid took the tone that he did with BiB. I'm fairly certain if he knew his full background he would feel a little sheepish about the exchange.

However, I think it is nuts to imply that BiB (or any "expert") can't or shouldn't be challenged on their opinions. The worst that can happen is that one side learns something new. Maybe 999/1000 times it is the novice that gets schooled, but sometimes having to defend a position, especially if it is a long held position, leads someone to re-examine and perhaps modify their stance in the face of a changing world.

I have no idea who that Sneider guy is, but at least Fezmid actually did SOME reading, so he should be given some credit for at least familiarizing himself with the topic. Again, it was just an unfortunate choice of people to get snippy with.

Carry on....

Well, this has been a spirited debate. :(

To me, it points out why you bring the fight to the enemy, instead of sitting on one's hands and consulting focus groups as was done in the '90's.

476336[/snapback]

I always start good threads, No? :rolleyes:

Where have you been?

Well, it was certainly unfortunate that Fezmid took the tone that he did with BiB.  I'm fairly certain if he knew his full background he would feel a little sheepish about the exchange.

However, I think it is nuts to imply that BiB (or any "expert") can't or shouldn't be challenged on their opinions.  The worst that can happen is that one side learns something new.  Maybe 999/1000 times it is the novice that gets schooled, but sometimes having to defend a position, especially if it is a long held position, leads someone to re-examine and perhaps modify their stance in the face of a changing world.

I have no idea who that Sneider guy is, but at least Fezmid actually did SOME reading, so he should be given some credit for at least familiarizing himself with the topic.  Again, it was just an unfortunate choice of people to get snippy with.

Carry on....

476333[/snapback]

Schneier is a data security expert - a cryptographer. Has about as much to do with national security policy as HVAC does automotive repair.

I'm sure you would sue....that's my point.  Apparently the only way to accomplish anything in this country is just that.  Sue if they pat you down and sue if they don't.  Who cares as long as "I" get something out of it.  I'm not so much responding to the topic.  I'm more concerned with the methodology.  As far as being a sheep???  whatever.

476318[/snapback]

I don't know that filing lawsuits is the "only" way to accomplish something. It's probably the easiest way, given that our "representatives" are the uber-wealthy and have generally sold the populous down the river to the highest bidder.

I'd like my odds a hell of alot better against terrorists if "I" were allowed to protect myself rather than waiting for some dude in a really dapper uniform to draw a chalk line around what's left of my carcass. Perhaps I'm crazy.

Schneier is a data security expert - a cryptographer.  Has about as much to do with national security policy as HVAC does automotive repair.

476348[/snapback]

I wouldn't say they are that far apart - surely the details are different, but I would have to think there are some common themes across all genres of security. Plus, despite his "expertise" in cryptography - perhaps he has a strong passion for other types of security and keeps himself well-informed?

I don't know him, but it isn't inconceivable that he has something worthwhile to say despite the fact that he doesn't make his living in that exact field.

Then again - he could be a quack...

I wouldn't say they are that far apart - surely the details are different, but I would have to think there are some common themes across all genres of security.  Plus, despite his "expertise" in cryptography - perhaps he has a strong passion for other types of security and keeps himself well-informed?

I don't know him, but it isn't inconceivable that he has something worthwhile to say despite the fact that he doesn't make his living in that exact field.

Then again - he could be a quack...

476389[/snapback]

Maybe, maybe not...but having both talked national security face-to-face with pros, and read Schneier's work, I think I'm in a position to postulate that reading Schneier's works does not prepare one for talking about national security face-to-face with pros.

At the very least, one should demonstrate that they understand Schneier's work, not just have read it... :(

Well, it was certainly unfortunate that Fezmid took the tone that he did with BiB.  I'm fairly certain if he knew his full background he would feel a little sheepish about the exchange.

However, I think it is nuts to imply that BiB (or any "expert") can't or shouldn't be challenged on their opinions.  The worst that can happen is that one side learns something new.  Maybe 999/1000 times it is the novice that gets schooled, but sometimes having to defend a position, especially if it is a long held position, leads someone to re-examine and perhaps modify their stance in the face of a changing world.

I have no idea who that Sneider guy is, but at least Fezmid actually did SOME reading, so he should be given some credit for at least familiarizing himself with the topic.  Again, it was just an unfortunate choice of people to get snippy with.

Carry on....

476333[/snapback]

Well, I just rolled in (yes, ghosts do sometimes go out on Friday nights, sometimes they even get lucky...not tonight, though). I too, appreciate that Fezmid has read at least SOMETHING, which is much more than many people do. I don't know about the choice of sources for this particular issue, but not for me to argue against trying to gain perspective. There may be similarities in IT security issues in terms of intent to disrupt, Chinese infiltration of government sites and the potential for widescale e-attacks come to mind, (Google "Titan Rain") but one also has to look at each group and their capabilities. We are talking about bad guys at football games.

This is a pretty complicated subject and can not be adequately addressed here, in this type of forum. There's pros and cons to anything. That's what makes things so much fun and also promotes serious migraines. FWIW, I could make an argument to either side - but not for the same reasons. I personally like the idea of private business shouldering some more of the cost of physical security (and many do), in a country that promotes freedoms to everyone else in the world. I think it unreasonable to expect the "government" to handle everything. Securing your freedoms costs money. Hypothetically, if the gates at a sports stadium contained detectors for explosives and radiological materials but increased the cost for a ticket $18.00 per game would their be a fan backlash? Probably.

The world has changed, and even if the threat is relatively low overall in most venues, 9/11 sort of proved that anything can happen anywhere, any time. In my opinion, just an opinion - people in this country need to realize that this is a different world now. Yes, it definitely is about cost vs. reward, how much cost are people willing to absorb? Out of our pocket? Not much. Even in something as simple as "time". We don't like the idea of an extra 30 minutes or whatever it is to get into a stadium for a football game, to the point where it is judged a penetration and violation of rights.

OK. Whatever. The original debate was over a privacy suit over pat downs. This, to me says a lot more about the mentality and mind set of us than it does anything else.

From the way the gov't and their flunky contractors run the show where I am at... Nothing is a sure bet.

Gotta go... Oooooo fuzzy dice, shiny objects!

:(  :rolleyes:

476390[/snapback]

Well they hired you so I wouldn't put much stock in your coworkers either.

OK. Whatever. The original debate was over a privacy suit over pat downs. This, to me says a lot more about the mentality and mind set of us than it does anything else.

476428[/snapback]

We got patted down by a cute guy last week. Maybe we can find him this week, too. :(