ouchie...some people a little thin skinned

Adam

Being told what to say or run the show is one thing. The way Mike talks down to his callers is another issue. He talks like he's better than everyone else. I think it's his downfall for sure and it brings the show down with him.

476489[/snapback]

I agree. You don't hear Simon being condescending or hanging up on callers.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would guess, like Alan P.'s article suggests, all the gr guys are told what to say by pr andy (who by the way loves the wall) or by gm greg reid. Perhaps mike and the other gr guys, who have said on air how they hate their jobs, are pissed that gr/entercom should have ponied up the money (2.5 million ?) for the rights for the Bills, therefore giving them access to Bills players etc.

It has not helped gr by pissing on/off the Hammer. Karma baby, Karma!!

476485[/snapback]

Hammered - if you can say, and you probably already have, but I missed it - why did they stop doing their pregame from your lot?

I think that in a way, forums ARE often a sad, irrational place. In general, though not always, there is a specific type of person who posts on forums regularly (20-30 times a day) and those are people who are much comfortable finding non-physical validation socially than in person. This is usually limited to Off the Wall crowds and that sort of thing, but in tight knit community forums, that can spill over into the other sides of a forum. This forum is used to talk football and in that sense, in most respects, it does a good job, but in many other respects Mike Schopp does have a point in that a forum like this, outside of its intended purpose (football) can act much more like a support group than a community.

I'm an idealist and so I have to say that when I join a forum it's general for the purpose of discusses (usually) solely the topic, in most cases, in MOST cases, sports. Over the last month or so, I've tried to get into the whole chat online for fun thing and it seems more damning than anything. For the most part, it caters only to a specific type of person, and beyond that is, like every other social corner, not very inviting to those of which it does not like. The tendency most obviously apparent on forums is the tendency for its users to unite when their character is challenged -- as many people who post on forums do so because they are uncomfortable displaying the same sort of banter elsewhere, and they find that to be a character flaw, they react most viciously.

Yes, Mike Schopp is a know-it-all who is rather daft and not as sports savvy as he thinks he is. At the same time, the people on this forum are giving him the exact reaction he wanted -- piling on... patting each other on the back about how big of an idiot he is, and not looking outside themselves for any sort of validation. TBD especially, some forums have tremendous potential to be outlets for good, APPRECIATED anaylsis of buffalo sports. When forum members take the forum more seriously than it really is, though, they lose that edge.

I heard it.  He said that people who frequent internet football message boards have an IQ of 50 or less.

474384[/snapback]

That's odd... I frequent this board and have taken a few IQ tests in my day, always posting 140-143. I guess that's not up to par with MENSA Boy Schopp, but certainly a bit more than 50.

I used to think he had a decent show on WNSA, but he's either a real moron for having these views or having his hand forced into spouting off such rhetoric on a 2 bit radio station.