2006- Upgrades Needed At 4 of 5 OL Positions

Mark VI

entering this 2006 off-season, the needed upgrades are becoming too obvious.

you got me on your first line.........entering the 2006 off-season? no no no.......entering the 2005 off-season, the needed upgrades were too obvious!!!.......the holes in the OL were there........the hole at DT was there.......this is nothing new, they were problems back then, they just were never addressed properly........TD decided to go cheap to fix these areas and that was a BIG mistake.......sad how people are just seeing this now, but were too busy agreeing with every move (and non-move) TD made as free agent after free agent went to other teams......way too much blind faith.......TD makes mistakes, just like every other GM......

He can't go cheap on the OL anymore.

i was condemned for calling TD cheap last off-season, for not competing with other playoff/playoff ready teams for marquee talent, but that is exactly what he was.......he would not spend the necessary funds to upgrade the unit, and now we are paying for it dearly......instead he went for cheap options and put way to much faith in mcnally.......talent is needed, not 2nd rate players.......

If we're going to blame coaching, let's try to stick to the obvious - the complete underestimation of Losman's ability to handle the assignment from the get go. If Holcomb or even Bledsoe had started the season, the Bills would be at least 3-2, tied for first in the AFC East, and many here would be giddy at a Superbowl run.

The thing is, even with Losman, if TC had called Willis' number a few more times in the NO game, I think we win that one. If Willis had 31 carries against that run D, we'd be 3-2 with me playing QB.

My plan would not include Mike Williams unless it is at the Right or left guard positions. Williams has demonstrated a lot of difficulty playing in space and staying healthy. The problem is, the Bills have made there bed with him and can't trade him becasue of his contract... it would be different if he played up to the level of his contract, but he doesn't and he doesn't even seem to want to play football.

As I see it, Preston would be a significant upgrade over Teague... Watch the kid... he has an attitude... he's very physical and competetive. Didn't he get into it with Tim Anderson on the first Mon. night practice?

Geisinger hasn't played much, but he has an impressive resume at LT. I'd plug him in at one of the guard positions.

That leaves holes to fill at LT and RT. I'd say fill the LT spot in free agency or via a favorable trade and draft a RT that can be plugged in from the get go.

Villarial or Anderson, Peteres, and Gandy can be backups. Peters deosn't seem to be a guy that can master one thing well but does a number of things well enough to deserve playing time in certain situations.

Pretty funny to me that people are too blind to see that there isn't an oline in Buffalo. Yeah blame the coaching. Truth is that if there was an oline JP or Holcomb would have alot easier time back there and Willis would run for 1,500 this year. Moulds and Evans would both have 10+ touchdowns and 1,000+ yards. Keep ignoring the biggest gap on the team Donahoe.

My plan would not include Mike Williams unless it is at the Right or left guard positions.    Williams has demonstrated a lot of difficulty playing in space and staying healthy.  The problem is, the Bills have made there bed with him and can't trade him becasue of his contract... it would be different if he played up to the level of his contract, but he doesn't and he doesn't even seem to want to play football.

As I see it, Preston would be a significant upgrade over Teague... Watch the kid... he has an attitude... he's very physical and competetive.  Didn't he get into it with Tim Anderson on the first Mon. night practice?

Geisinger hasn't played much, but he has an impressive resume at LT.  I'd plug him in at one of the guard positions.

That leaves holes to fill at LT and RT.  I'd say fill the LT spot in free agency or via a favorable trade and draft a RT that can be plugged in from the get go.

Villarial or Anderson, Peteres,  and Gandy can be backups.  Peters deosn't seem to be a guy that can master one thing well but does a number of things well enough to deserve playing time in certain situations.

473866[/snapback]

Two new tackles? Disaster. And think we're paying too much for big Mike at RT? We can't pay a guard double his worth. Can't do it. And try paying for two new tackles when there are other holes to fill? Not a chance. Mike has not missed that many games due to injury. No more than CV at this point.

Damn. I just looked at Willis' stats last year and this year thus far:

When Willis gets 20 carries or more a game they are 9-1 over the last year and a half.

That's right 9-1 when he gets twenty. The only loss was this years Atlanta game.

I think I would make sure he gets twenty every week. It may have something to do with the Bills winning.

GG, my opinion is in regards to offensive play calling. I stated that I think Wyche would do a better job than what Clements has done to this point. If you don't agree thats fine.

If it's a problem you can file in with the rest of the kool-aid drinkers.

473851[/snapback]

And I'm saying if there truly was a problem with playcalling, you would certainly have heard it from Wyche. However, since Wyche continues to be an integral part of the offensive braintrust and hasn't uttered a word that he thinks the offense could function better with better playcalling rather than offensive linemen holding their blocks, I'll take his word.

Damn. I just looked at Willis' stats last year and this year thus far:

When Willis gets 20 carries or more a game they are 9-1 over the last year and a half.

That's right 9-1 when he gets twenty. The only loss was this years Atlanta game.

I think I would make sure he gets twenty every week. It may have something to do with the Bills winning.

Thats one helluva stat!!

Isn't it amazing how we can suddenly blame the playcalling that doesn't work, when the same playcalling resulted in a 6-1 record down the stretch last year?

If we're going to blame coaching, let's try to stick to the obvious - the complete underestimation of Losman's ability to handle the assignment from the get go.  If Holcomb or even Bledsoe had started the season, the Bills would be at least 3-2, tied for first in the AFC East, and many here would be giddy at a Superbowl run.

As it stands, the team is 1 game out of first, but gaping player holes persist that no amount of differentiation in playcalling will over come.  Maybe this team can stumble to 9-7, and sneak into the playoffs with a very early exit.

473860[/snapback]

I'm sure you mean "overestimation of Losman's ability..."

He's played too poorly to be underestimated.

And you bring out a good point. It's the same jack ackles that are doing the play calling that gave JP the reigns without a competition, the same X and O guys that didn't have a QB competition throughout camp and the 4 preseason games. They're the same guys that pulled JP with a move that would make a magician pulling the tablecloth off a fully set table without spilling a drop of wine gulp in disbelief.

Not much has gone right at OBD in the last few years and it doesn't look to drastically improve anytime real soon. :blink:

He's played too poorly to be underestimated.

Not much has gone right at OBD in the last few years and it doesn't look to drastically improve anytime real soon.  :blink:

473925[/snapback]

He's played too little to be estimated. Three and a half games and people here are ready to put him on the guillatine. Friggin unbelievable.

Agreed on your last sentence. We've got people in there that can't define what kind of team they want to be.

Isn't it amazing how we can suddenly blame the playcalling that doesn't work, when the same playcalling resulted in a 6-1 record down the stretch last year?

I agree with your sentiments.

As usual the offensive coordinator is on the hot seat.

please see former geniuses turned buffoons Pendry , Gilbride and Sheppard.

Also notice they are all working.

The carousel goes round and round.

I can't get all worked up against Clements without really pointing the finger at Mularkey.

How can anyone seperate Clements from Mularkey??

They have very similar outlooks and philosophies......

and remember fans in Pittsburgh were not so sad to see Mularkey leave as he was getting way too cute with the play calling.

If we're going to blame coaching, let's try to stick to the obvious - the complete underestimation of Losman's ability to handle the assignment from the get go.  If Holcomb or even Bledsoe had started the season, the Bills would be at least 3-2, tied for first in the AFC East, and many here would be giddy at a Superbowl run.

As it stands, the team is 1 game out of first, but gaping player holes persist that no amount of differentiation in playcalling will over come.  Maybe this team can stumble to 9-7, and sneak into the playoffs with a very early exit.

473860[/snapback]

You are absolutely correct. All of this whining about playcalling is a bunch of crap and it's the most overhyped complaint ever. Convert a 3rd down once in a while, and Willis will get more carries. It's not that complicated.

I'm still taking 2005 one week at a time but entering this 2006 off-season, the needed upgrades are becoming too obvious.

1. OL - Mike Williams should be penciled in at RT. Outside of that, the other 4 positions are all up for grabs. Teague should be gone. Anderson and Gandy are just filler for their eventual replacements. Chris V. is old and may have hit the wall. The quality of play need not be mentioned.

We'll see if Preston is good enough to be a front line replacement at Center. In the meantime, The UFA signing period in March should focus on some Veteran help. Not 2nd or 3rd tier filler guys. Real help with actual talent.

2. DT - Anderson looks decent and Adams is in the stretch run of his career. No depth in site. Edwards stinks. Bannon stinks. Must sign or draft at least 2 players for this position. Need a solid rotation and improvement against the run.

3. Coaching - We're getting outcoached almost weekly. The offensive playcalling has no rhythm to it and seems quite baffling. Fails to take advantage of the oppositions weaknesses and lacks any adjustments at halftime. Same goes for the Defense. Blitzing most every play with little results leaves your secondary and the middle of the field exposed. Seems Gray has no Plan B beyond this. Personally, if he leaves for a better job, I won't miss him at all.

Other positions such as OLB ( Spikes? ) and a vet WR to replace Moulds are also important.

TD must take his pride for a walk and realize he needs to change his outlook of improving this roster. He can't go cheap on the OL anymore. UFA's will be out there and one of the best college classes of O Lineman in years will be there waiting for him on Draft day.

He may have misfired again with the Coaching staff but lets see how 2005 plays out before calling that final. You can only blame the players so much if the coaching staff fails to play to the rosters strengths and put them into position to succeed. Right now, they are trying to pound the square peg into the round hole.

I'll be an interested observer of this season and the coming off-season. Lots of work is evident.

473690[/snapback]

Anyone remember the past few years, when we only needed to upgrade two or three spots on the line?

This team is certainly improving with years, isn't it? :blink:

I'm still taking 2005 one week at a time but entering this 2006 off-season, the needed upgrades are becoming too obvious.

1. OL - Mike Williams should be penciled in at RT. Outside of that, the other 4 positions are all up for grabs. Teague should be gone. Anderson and Gandy are just filler for their eventual replacements. Chris V. is old and may have hit the wall. The quality of play need not be mentioned.

We'll see if Preston is good enough to be a front line replacement at Center. In the meantime, The UFA signing period in March should focus on some Veteran help. Not 2nd or 3rd tier filler guys. Real help with actual talent.

2. DT - Anderson looks decent and Adams is in the stretch run of his career. No depth in site. Edwards stinks. Bannon stinks. Must sign or draft at least 2 players for this position. Need a solid rotation and improvement against the run.

3. Coaching - We're getting outcoached almost weekly. The offensive playcalling has no rhythm to it and seems quite baffling. Fails to take advantage of the oppositions weaknesses and lacks any adjustments at halftime. Same goes for the Defense. Blitzing most every play with little results leaves your secondary and the middle of the field exposed. Seems Gray has no Plan B beyond this. Personally, if he leaves for a better job, I won't miss him at all.

Other positions such as OLB ( Spikes? ) and a vet WR to replace Moulds are also important.

TD must take his pride for a walk and realize he needs to change his outlook of improving this roster. He can't go cheap on the OL anymore. UFA's will be out there and one of the best college classes of O Lineman in years will be there waiting for him on Draft day.

He may have misfired again with the Coaching staff but lets see how 2005 plays out before calling that final. You can only blame the players so much if the coaching staff fails to play to the rosters strengths and put them into position to succeed. Right now, they are trying to pound the square peg into the round hole.

I'll be an interested observer of this season and the coming off-season. Lots of work is evident.

473690[/snapback]

OL is our most pressing need. Mike Willaims could be back, but maybe it's possible we'll have a line of completely different players next season. Is CV a UFA? If he wasn't then I would say the right side of the line looks set.

OL is our most pressing need.  Mike Willaims could be back, but maybe it's possible we'll have a line of completely different players next season.  Is CV a UFA?  If he wasn't then I would say the right side of the line looks set.

473971[/snapback]

CV is under contract at 2.5M in salary for '06 and '07.........1.5M in dead cap to get rid of him.......

Good points, but i'd say keep gandy and anderson as backups if thats possible...or even move Gandy in back to guard. Its one less hole we have to fill, and hes played well enough this season(also, cant have all-pros at every position). I for one am one of the few around here who thinks mike williams can still be a decent and solid RT. kids just gotta stay healthy.

473793[/snapback]

We don't need All-pros in all positions...but every player has to be effective...

Look at the Steeler and NE lines...They don't have all-pros at all positions

but they sure can run the ball and give Brady and Big Ben all the time to throw.

The thing that most baffles me is that these guys were doing a great job last year, especially down the stretch. The creativity that was there last year seems to be missing.

Maybe they're still trying to find their way with the new players (esp. QB) at certain positions, but it's still strange.

473844[/snapback]

They were actually being average.....the reason we had that winning stretch

last year...

o Played all the bad NFC West teams and won 4-0

o Played two bad AFC East teams and won

o Defense kept getting turnovers and even had quite a few defensive TDs

o STs were outstanding with all those Punt and Kickoff returns for TDs

o Offense had a short field to play most of the time and even when they

didn't move the ball, they could punt and pin the other team deep in

thier own territory...

Then finally we played a playoff bound team and they showed how bad we

really were on both the offense and defense...

473860[/snapback]

Our 6-1 down the stretch were against bad NFC West teams...plus the onus on

those wins goes to the Defense and STs...In fact Bledsoe tried to lose that game

in Miami throwing interceptions and trying to match AJ Foleys # of interceptions.

The offense worked last year in that stretch because they had great field positions.

how many times did bledsoe ahve to engineer 80 yard drives....probably very few.

Plus i don't think any of those games, we had a come from behind victory....

This year we played Tampa Bay, Atlanta and New Orleans...Other NO, I don't

think Bledsoe or Holcomb would have been able to do anything...especially

with the play calling.....Against the NO, the D came up short.....they couldn't

stop McCallister in the 4th qtr...

I am not saying JP did not make his mistakes...but his mistakes did not

cost any of the games....Our D and play calling never controlled those games.