Sabres extend Lindy Ruff's contract

I'm not so much into the "clutch and grab" style he seems to worship, but this is a new season with new rules.

I do think they will have an up and down year, i.e. consistency, trying to figure out an "identity" and relating it to the style of play they decide on.

I kind of relate this to the playcalling on the Bills. They are having problems to find an identity, especially on offense. This past week, McGahee ran it 31 times. Why weren't these clowns calling plays like tis when Losman was in???

Identity.

I'm not so much into the "clutch and grab" style he seems to worship, but this is a new season with new rules.

I do think they will have an up and down year, i.e. consistency, trying to figure out an "identity" and relating it to the style of play they decide on.

I kind of relate this to the playcalling on the Bills. They are having problems to find an identity, especially on offense. This past week, McGahee ran it 31 times. Why weren't these clowns calling plays like tis when Losman was in???

Identity.

473106[/snapback]

McGahee ran it 31 times, but the offense had 60+ plays, as opposed to <50 in at least some previous games. Also, you have to consider that in the losses the Bills were trying to play catch-up at the end, which favors throwing the ball, as opposed to trying to keep a lead, like the Bills last drive where McGahee ran with it 4 times in a row before we punted. Through ~3 quarters, the run/pass ratio has been fairly consistent, certainly with respect to 1st/2nd downs (about 50/50).

Identity.

473106[/snapback]

Sounds like you haven't watched a game yet. Most hockey people have singled out Buffalo as embracing the changes, and Lindy has done a great job of having the Sabres get the jump on opponents in terms of technique and strategy. Take a look at how many power plays we've had - and perhaps more importantly - how few PIMs we have.

Lindy didn't "worship" clutch and grab, he was coaching the game the way it was played. Not unlike he's doing now.

As far as the Bills, what Dan said.

Sounds like you haven't watched a game yet.  Most hockey people have singled out Buffalo as embracing the changes, and Lindy has done a great job of having the Sabres get the jump on opponents in terms of technique and strategy.  Take a look at how many power plays we've had - and perhaps more importantly - how few PIMs we have.

Lindy didn't "worship" clutch and grab, he was coaching the game the way it was played.  Not unlike he's doing now.

As far as the Bills, what Dan said.

473129[/snapback]

From what I've read (I've only seen the Islander game), it looks like the small, faster and younger players on the Sabres are actually very well suited to this new style of play.

I like Lindy Ruff. My only fear is that guys who leave the Sabres rarely have good things to say about him, or the organ-i-zation. That includes his old teammate, and supposed buddy, Dave Andreychuk. I have been able to see a couple of games so far, and from what I have seen, this is going to be a very fun team to watch. I am encouraged that we are getting goals, right off the bat, from our "young guns", like Afinagenov, Briere, Dumont and Hecht. These guys could make up the nucleus of a great young, offensive team. I just hope, in crunch time, Lindy's blue-collar tendancies don't make these guys think twice about wanting to be in Buffalo.

I just hope, in crunch time, Lindy's blue-collar tendancies don't make these guys think twice about wanting to be in Buffalo.

473180[/snapback]

Me too, but from what I've seen (Center Ice package) and read (I subscribe to The Hockey News and WNY Hockey Magazine), I get the impression that the blue-collar Lindy has been replaced with a quick-transitional game, offensive minded uptown Lindy.

Me too, but from what I've seen (Center Ice package) and read (I subscribe to The Hockey News and WNY Hockey Magazine), I get the impression that the blue-collar Lindy has been replaced with a quick-transitional game, offensive minded uptown Lindy.

473187[/snapback]

Now all we need to do is replace the lindy we have now by a Lindy with big knockers and short skirts and we will start getting fans at the games.

473187[/snapback]

I think he's always coached the style his talent could win with. The problem in Buffalo has pretty much always been the same - not enough talented players with size.

Now size isn't as big an issue and 3 out of 4 times the Sabres were clearly superior to their opponents. The should have beaten Pittsburgh by about 5 goals last night but Fluery played well and the Swords' shots were about an inch off all night. I think I counted 4 posts in the second period alone.

I look for the hitting to pickup as the season continues and teams begin to realize it's one of the few ways to slow down the constant rushes.

I think he's always coached the style his talent could win with.  The problem in Buffalo has pretty much always been the same - not enough talented players with size.

473224[/snapback]

'Zactly.

But I'm one of those in the minority - I like Lindy as our coach.

I think he's always coached the style his talent could win with.  The problem in Buffalo has pretty much always been the same - not enough talented players with size.

Now size isn't as big an issue and 3 out of 4 times the Sabres were clearly superior to their opponents.  The should have beaten Pittsburgh by about 5 goals last night but Fluery played well and the Swords' shots were about an inch off all night.  I think I counted 4 posts in the second period alone.

I look for the hitting to pickup as the season continues and teams begin to realize it's one of the few ways to slow down the constant rushes.

473224[/snapback]

Depends on whether the league keeps up calling the interferences. You hit a guy without the puck and you should be in the box for interference. You can hit the guy with the puck, but you can't hit what you can't catch. The Sabres have speed, even the D has speed.

I hope they keep calling the games the way they have been because the game is really opened up and a lot more exciting. The Isles game was great fun to be at and the Pens game seemed to have a playoff feel to it (at least that's what I thought watching it on the tube). I can't remember the last time I saw a game in October that was really exciting.

'Zactly.

But I'm one of those in the minority - I like Lindy as our coach.

473252[/snapback]

I like Lindy too. Less sure about Darcy but not as down on him as some. It would have been nice to get something in return for Satan and Zhitnik (but I have no problem with not keeping either of them).

Bottom line on Lindy is that he got the team deep into the playoffs a few times with nothing more than a great goalie and a bunch of string and rubber bands. And I don't want to hear about Peca. He was decent, but not great. He stunk the entire year after we lost in the finals, and the team followed him right down the drain. Absolutely not worth $4 million per year. He didn't do anything for the Islanders and they have now unloaded him.

Given the Sabres' budget and the crazy prices being paid pre-lockout for the very few players who could score consistently, there was no way we could go out and get a high scorer. Then when Dominik left, Biron was a complete washout. I don't think any coach could've gotten more out of this team pre-lockout given the crappy goaltending and lack of scoring punch.

I think the way the Sabres have adjusted to the new rules speaks very well for Lindy and for the team's prospects this year. We have a lot of speed and youth, enough scoring talent and hopefully enough toughness and leadership with Gaustad and Briere. I'd like to see some more toughness on the backline, and I'd be quite happy if Brian Campbell disappeared. In any case if Miller is the real deal (and it looks that way so far -- his game against the Bruins was better than I have ever seen Biron play), we will be in the playoffs, and not just for a cup of coffee either.

Go Sabres. I'm getting one of those red jerseys.

Depends on whether the league keeps up calling the interferences.  You hit a guy without the puck and you should be in the box for interference.  You can hit the guy with the puck, but you can't hit what you can't catch.  The Sabres have speed, even the D has speed.

They sure do but the biggest issue the opposition seems to have has been their passiveness in stopping the rush. Giving ground on a diagonal sure ain't getting it done. Stepping into someone may be the only answer.

I hope they keep calling the games the way they have been because the game is really opened up and a lot more exciting.  The Isles game was great fun to be at and the Pens game seemed to have a playoff feel to it (at least that's what I thought watching it on the tube).  I can't remember the last time I saw a game in October that was really exciting.

473301[/snapback]

I'm skeptical that it'll continue because we've been down this road before. Hopefully they learned from the last time (called everything for the first 15 or so games then slowly relaxed) and won't make the same mistake.

I'm skeptical that it'll continue because we've been down this road before.  Hopefully they learned from the last time (called everything for the first 15 or so games then slowly relaxed) and won't make the same mistake.

473311[/snapback]

In the past, I would have agreed with you. I used to put the odds of keeping up the obstruction calls at below 5%. This year, I'd put it more like 55%. There are several major differences to the landscape this year than in years past.

#1 - The anticipated increase in goal scoring associated with an obstruction crackdown won't result in a corresponding increase in payroll. There is a salary cap. If the 2nd tier of scorers were 30 goal scorers before and they were worth say $3MM/yr, having the entire lot of them go up to 40 goal scorers won't increase their value. Under the old arbitration system combined with no salary cap, cracking down on obstruction would have sent payrolls through the roof.

#2 - Management and players are both on record as stating they want the crackdown. In the past, you'd have sporadic endorsement of it, but not nearly as much as you are seeing this year. The league actually made public a video showing what they are now going to call. If they go back to not calling these plays, they will look even more foolish than they have in years past.

#3 - Although TV wanted higher scoring, they did not want longer games. Additional powerplays result in additional play stoppages and longer broadcasts. This year, although you still get the longer stoppages to get a guy to the box due to the penalty call and more of them because of the increased number of calls, you have fewer offsides stoppages due to the tag up offsides, and you have fewer icings as the linesmen now have discretion to wave off icing on plays they believe were passes. Additionally, the icee cannot change players, which reduces the length of time for icing delays.

#4 - They just nuked the last season. They are looking for ways to get fans interested again. With all the other changes the league has implemented, they seem to have more of a "think outside the box" mentality. Increasing the speed of the game is one way to do this, and calling obstruction is the best way to increase the speed of the play.

In the past, I would have agreed with you.  I used to put the odds of keeping up the obstruction calls at below 5%.  This year, I'd put it more like 55%.  There are several major differences to the landscape this year than in years past.

#1 - The anticipated increase in goal scoring associated with an obstruction crackdown won't result in a corresponding increase in payroll.  There is a salary cap.  If the 2nd tier of scorers were 30 goal scorers before and they were worth say $3MM/yr, having the entire lot of them go up to 40 goal scorers won't increase their value.  Under the old arbitration system combined with no salary cap, cracking down on obstruction would have sent payrolls through the roof.

#2 - Management and players are both on record as stating they want the crackdown.  In the past, you'd have sporadic endorsement of it, but not nearly as much as you are seeing this year.  The league actually made public a video showing what they are now going to call.  If they go back to not calling these plays, they will look even more foolish than they have in years past.

#3 - Although TV wanted higher scoring, they did not want longer games.  Additional powerplays result in additional play stoppages and longer broadcasts.  This year, although you still get the longer stoppages to get a guy to the box due to the penalty call and more of them because of the increased number of calls, you have fewer offsides stoppages due to the tag up offsides, and you have fewer icings as the linesmen now have discretion to wave off icing on plays they believe were passes.  Additionally, the icee cannot change players, which reduces the length of time for icing delays.

#4 - They just nuked the last season.  They are looking for ways to get fans interested again.  With all the other changes the league has implemented, they seem to have more of a "think outside the box" mentality.  Increasing the speed of the game is one way to do this, and calling obstruction is the best way to increase the speed of the play.

473349[/snapback]

Well stated. That's pretty much my view on it, too - but I have VERY little faith in the lawn gnome. Here's to hoping.

In the past, I would have agreed with you.  I used to put the odds of keeping up the obstruction calls at below 5%.  This year, I'd put it more like 55%.  There are several major differences to the landscape this year than in years past.

473349[/snapback]

Great post and analysis. I agree completely.