Greatest Bills Players all time??

Tcali

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Kelly-directed the K-gun by calling his own plays except in goal line situations. Last QB to call his own plays.

2. Thurman- erased many of OJ's records. Much better reciever and pass blocker.

Butch Byrd was the first of a series of incredible CBs the Bills seem to always have; although, Saimes was there before Byrd, he was a ball hawking safety. Byrd has the most interceptions of any Buffalo Bill.

From 1964 to 1970 more than a few quartebacks had wished they hadn't thrown the ball in the direction of defensive back George "Butch" Byrd. It was during those years that Byrd managed to snare 40 interceptions, still a Buffalo Bills record. The Deion Sanders of the AFL, Byrd totaled a Bills record 666 yds and 5 TDs on returns. Byrd also handled the punt return duties for the Bills during their championship seasons, and was just as deadly a threat to score. His 74 yard punt return during the 1965 AFL Championship game broke the game open and broke the backs of the Chargers, who managed to hold the potent Bills offense to 1 TD all day. Always having instincts to be in the right place at the right time, Byrd was quite the hawk. On top of his 40 interceptions, he added 10 more fumble recoveries.

Ron McDole and Jim Dunaway were the two guys that were the cornerstone of the Bills D back in the championship times. McDole actually went on and played for the Redskins for another decade after leaving Buffalo as a member of the "Over the Hill Gang".

Reggie McKenzie was also an incredible pulling guard in the "Electric Company". A real Left Guard, not like what we have now, Bennie Anderson.

Tony Greene was another safety and just as good, or better than Robert James. Second leader in interceptions for the Bills.

Lou Piccone was THE utility player before Steve Tasker even got out of grade school. He wore #89 too. I wouldn't classify Piccone as an all around great, but he sure played with a lot of heart.

While it would be tough, and too time consuming to rank the top 20, based on talent,

I would say, without giving it a ton of thought. Let me preclude my list by saying that although I am old enough to have seen the 60's teams, I am not old enough to really know what the fug I was seeing, so my list is heavier on the 73-present Bills:

#1- Bruce Smith

#2- Oj Simpson

#3- Thurman Thomas

#4- Jim Kelly

#5- Jerry Bulter

#6- Andre Reed

#7- Cornelius Bennett

#8- Joe Cribbs

#9- Kent Hull

#10- Steve Freeman

While it would be tough, and too time consuming to rank the top 20, based on talent,

I would say, without giving it a ton of thought.  Let me preclude my list by saying that although I am old enough to have seen the 60's teams, I am not old enough to really know what the fug I was seeing, so my list is heavier on the 73-present Bills:

#1- Bruce Smith

#2- Oj Simpson

#3- Thurman Thomas

#4- Jim Kelly

#5- Jerry Bulter

#6- Andre Reed

#7- Cornelius Bennett

#8- Joe Cribbs

#9- Kent Hull

#10- Steve Freeman

473202[/snapback]

Way too heavy in the 1990's players. We actually did have two Championships back in the 60's. The 60's and 70's players were pretty darn good too.

One guy you mention that I will definitely agree with is Kent Hull. He was the heart and sole of the o-line, and much of the offense for soooooo long.

You might want to look at the guys in the Hall of Fame for a start: Kelly, Billy Shaw, James Lofton, Joe D.

1.  OJ

2.BRUCE

3.Robert James

4.Cookie

5.James Lofton

5a.-Im spacing on WR during Fergys time

6.Billy Shaw

6a.Ahmad Rashad

7.Joe D

7a.Ted Washington

8.Elbert Deubenion

9.Thurman

10.Marlon Briscoe

11.Smerlas

12.Hull

13.Moulds

14.J.D Hill

15.Haven Moses

16.Jim Kelly

17.Bobby Chandler

18.Sestak

19.Saimes

20.Andre Reed

472749[/snapback]

You nailed the 1st 3.

I would have Butler #4 & Biscuit #5 though (his first year was just sick, remember the Philly game? :doh: )

Who's a better corner than Nate that played for the Bills? I think Nate is the best corner in the league right now.

473292[/snapback]

James was the best CB by far during his short career in the league. He may possibly have been top 3 all time corners.

It's difficult to compare corners from the 70's era to the 2000 era.

Rules were different, it was much more difficult to throw the ball in the 70's, and it was a running league.

both are the two best Bills corners I've seen. Thats 1970 to present.

It's difficult to compare corners from the 70's era to the 2000 era.

Rules were different, it was much more difficult to throw the ball in the 70's, and it was a running league.

both are the two best Bills corners I've seen. Thats 1970 to present.

473365[/snapback]

If you're talking "talent", I'd rate James & Clements the best ever.

If you're talking "players" though, I'd have to take Butch Byrd over Nate... pretty close though.

Way too heavy in the 1990's players. We actually did have two Championships back in the 60's. The 60's and 70's players were pretty darn good too.

One guy you mention that I will definitely agree with is Kent Hull. He was the heart and sole of the o-line, and much of the offense for soooooo long.

You might want to look at the guys in the Hall of Fame for a start: Kelly, Billy Shaw, James Lofton, Joe D.

473216[/snapback]

Like I said in my post, I am precluding myself from including players that I am too young to really remember, by more than name, and their football cards...I don't think that Lofton is an all-time top 20 Bufffalo Bill and am too young to include Billy Shaw. Maybe on second thought, I remove Steve Freeman, and include Joe D. Sorry, I just love the Knox-era Bills, so it is tough for me not to include Butler and Cribbs.

re: 5a:

Jerry Butler?

He ought to there someplace...

Seems a bit heavy with the old guys.

Wolford, Ritcher and Devlin belong there.  Tasker belongs there.  Christie too.  Andre should be higher.  Washington, lower.

472762[/snapback]

Yeah..I meant Jerry...and of course Tasker should be in there--my brain -well--say no more

J.D. Hill ???  I always viewed him as a bust. Lofton was still very good when he arrived but his prime years were over. Sestak was twice the player Smerlas ever was. He was thee dominate DT of the AFL 60's. Thurman should be near the top of the list. He carried us during the SB years. Move Reed way up from #20.

Where's Mike Stratton ?

472798[/snapback]

I said TALENT---not production necessarily.

Biscuit's not on that list either.  In terms of raw talent AND production, he has to be there (even if he didn't end up being the next LT as was predicted for him).

473032[/snapback]

I DO agree with you on biscuit....forgot him---fits the category.

I wouldn't include JD Hill on the list.  I also would bump Lofton off and move Rashad much lower because their best work came elsewhere.  If they stay on the list, I don't know why Darryl Lamonica isn't on the list.

I would add Biscuit and Talley.

473033[/snapback]

Ahh--Lamonica absolutely........ooops.

1. Kelly-directed the K-gun by calling his own plays except in goal line situations. Last QB to call his own plays.

2. Thurman- erased many of OJ's records. Much better reciever and pass blocker.

473083[/snapback]

Thurman??--more talented than OJ??...excuse me but I have an appointment back on planet earth..