How bad is the O-line playing?

IBTG81

The fins started bringing lots of heat and playing close to the line in the second half and once they did that, the offense was toast because the line just could not deal with it.  It is the same type of defense which has stymied this offense all year.

471536[/snapback]

The quote proves the point.....It is not Losman or Holocomb....It is that

stupid line.....Belichek was right to criticize our OL (in the book about the

Pats a few years ago) as a bunch of horse sh-- (or something to that effect)...

Unless we fix our line, we are not going anywhere...Look at Carolina,...that is

exactly what they did....They picked up castoff QBs and RBs from other teams

built their own WRs....but built a SOLID OL....

Hellooooooooo... name one team that has drafted more than 2 OL players on the first day in the last 5 years.

471482[/snapback]

how about CAR, CHI, DAL, HOU, JAX, MIA, NE, NO, OAK, PIT, SD, SF, and SEA??????

ALL have drafted 3 or more first day OL in the past 5 years........jeez, that's almost half the league!!!

But, if you think by picking an OL higher in the draft it is going to guarantee greater success, you are declaring your football ignorance to the world.

well i guess all those teams are fools for drafting OL so high when they can find similar talent later in the draft! especially those silly NE Patriots!!

consitering we are starting a rookie and a backup in place of the 2 best O-Lineman we have, they havent been to bad.

but at the same time, it is below average.

when are our starters comming back??

471832[/snapback]

The Patriots are also starting 2 rookies due to injuries and they beat the Falcons in Atlanta.

The bills coaches are making things way too complicated.

Football is a simple game-

I'm not going to repeat the effort but at one point I listed all the offensive lineman the Bills have selected in the first and second rounds over the years and about 95% of them ended up perennial starters and probowlers.  I would actually argue that the opposite is true, an offensive lineman so good that he merits consideration in the upper rounds over skill position players is a better bet than glamorous WR's and the like.  Believe me, if you listed all the receivers we have taken in the first two rounds versus the offensive lineman, you will find a lot more duds at wideout.  I'm guessing on the receivers based on what I recall from watching our drafts over he years but I posted a list here a while ago on the lineman.

471543[/snapback]

I agree 100%. Nothing makes me shudder more than picking a WR, or especially a TE, in the first round.

I think I'm still carrying the trauma of the Perry Tuttle and Tony Hunter.

Perhaps one factor is that skill players need to contribute immeditely, peak around year 4, and start to diminish around year 6. OL and to a lesser degree DL start later, peak later and play longer. This buys you a little more time to adjust them to NFL-level play, making them safer picks. You don't have that luxury with, say, a RB. If he's not ready to play untill he's 25, it's too late.