2 teams never heard of Pats 7th rd pick

On Inside The NFL they have an interview with Scott Pioli of the Patriots. To show how far ahead of the curve he is they stated that 2 teams never heard of the guy NE picked in round 7.

How can an NFL team not have heard of a guy that the Patriots picked in the 7th round? The guy is Matt Cassel, the team's 3rd QB. I can't believe there are professional NFL draft guys who didn't know who this guy was. I knew who he was before the draft and even wrote in my draft analysis "Matt Cassel has been buried on the depth chart at USC and may be better than a lot of college team’s starters. He’s worth bringing into camp and finding out. " When I'm picking up on a player that 2 teams missed entirely, those 2 teams are in huge trouble. I sure hope one of them wasn't the Bills.

Cassell hasn't proven anything in the NFL. Until he does, it doesn't say anything about those 2 teams. I think what's more telling is that Norm Chow, the Trojans' OC the past few years and would know Cassell better than anyone else in the NFL, didn't even urge the Titans to take a flyer on Cassell in the 7th round.

Cassell hasn't proven anything in the NFL.  Until he does, it doesn't say anything about those 2 teams.  I think what's more telling is that Norm Chow, the Trojans' OC the past few years and would know Cassell better than anyone else in the NFL, didn't even urge the Titans to take a flyer on Cassell in the 7th round.

468255[/snapback]

I think it says a lot about those two teams: They don't have enough people working on the draft. If your team doesn't know stuff on every available player in the draft, your scouting department sucks. If I can get info on Cassel off an internet site, it is unconsionable that 2 teams never heard of this player. It doesn't matter if the guy makes it or not, a team should have a grade on EVERY player available.

As far as the Chow hypothesis, there's a good chance that Tennessee didn't think he was going to get drafted and figured with Chow there, they'd be able to sign him as an UFA. The fact that many draft experts were shocked Cassel was drafted is a good indication that most teams viewed him in the UFA category, since he was a backup at USC. Tennessee (if they were interested) probably didn't think he'd be drafted and instead went for a player who they feared would be, considering they drafted 37 picks before the end of the draft.

Well, hell.... hardly anyone ever heard of Ben Sobieski. He was buried somewhere on the Hawkeye depth chart. But Teflon Tom saw him as a steal in round 5. Look at the mileage we got out of this plum. No one is laughing now. Sobieski has made this team for the 3rd consecutive year... and he'll probably be around for a 4th season. Now, whether or not he'll ever be active for a game...

honestly... comparing Pioli to one of the most revered GMs in the game, is well... damn embarrassing, right Tom.

On Inside The NFL they have an interview with Scott Pioli of the Patriots.  To show how far ahead of the curve he is they stated that 2 teams never heard of the guy NE picked in round 7.

How can an NFL team not have heard of a guy that the Patriots picked in the 7th round?  The guy is Matt Cassel, the team's 3rd QB.  I can't believe there are professional NFL draft guys who didn't know who this guy was.  I knew who he was before the draft and even wrote in my draft analysis "Matt Cassel has been buried on the depth chart at USC and may be better than a lot of college team’s starters.  He’s worth bringing into camp and finding out. "  When I'm picking up on a player that 2 teams missed entirely, those 2 teams are in huge trouble.  I sure hope one of them wasn't the Bills.

468231[/snapback]

Who cares. Losman or Holcomb?

Well, hell.... hardly anyone ever heard of Ben Sobieski.  He was buried somewhere on the Hawkeye depth chart.  But Teflon Tom saw him as a steal in round 5.  Look at the mileage we got out of this plum.  No one is laughing now.  Sobieski has made this team for the 3rd consecutive year... and he'll probably be around for a 4th season.  Now, whether or not he'll ever be active for a game...

honestly... comparing Pioli to one of the most revered GMs in the game, is well... damn embarrassing, right Tom.

468279[/snapback]

kelly holcomb was an UFA :unsure:

I saw a factoid from years ago which, from what I understand is no longer true, but it gives you an idea of how this arises.

An average NFL team has about 10 full time college scouts. At the time, the Bills had 13. The Bungles had 3! Their scouting was done primarily by the asst. coaches.

Don't they have other duties that keep them kinda busy?

On the opposite side of the coin, 1st I'd like to point out that 'never heard of' might not truly be literal. Even if it is, imagine that a 3rd string QB on a team such as USC is what like maybe their 60th most likely player to make it in the NFL. I think in most cases, it's more beneficial to scout say the 5 most likely players from places such as East Polukaville. Scouts only have so many days to visit campuses and a very limited amount of time at each visit. I could see that in the midst of so many other potential draftees, a guy like this could get overlooked.

When I'm picking up on a player that 2 teams missed entirely, those 2 teams are in huge trouble.  I sure hope one of them wasn't the Bills.

468231[/snapback]

I guarantee you one of those teams was the Detroit Lions. In my opinion, they have thge worst front office/talent evaluation in the league.

As for the second team, it might not be a case of incompetence--maybe a team is stocked at QB 1-2-3 and didn't scout out the position as they would have ordinarily. For instance, the Chargers, with Brees and Rivers (and I think Flutie, at draft time), probably weren't in the market even for a 3rd string QB.

I think it says a lot about those two teams:  They don't have enough people working on the draft.  If your team doesn't know stuff on every available player in the draft, your scouting department sucks.  If I can get info on Cassel off an internet site, it is unconsionable that 2 teams never heard of this player.  It doesn't matter if the guy makes it or not, a team should have a grade on EVERY player available.

Fair enough.

As far as the Chow hypothesis, there's a good chance that Tennessee didn't think he was going to get drafted and figured with Chow there, they'd be able to sign him as an UFA.  The fact that many draft experts were shocked Cassel was drafted is a good indication that most teams viewed him in the UFA category, since he was a backup at USC.  Tennessee (if they were interested) probably didn't think he'd be drafted and instead went for a player who they feared would be, considering they drafted 37 picks before the end of the draft.

Again, Chow knows more about Cassell than anyone else in the NFL, having coached him for 4 years at USC. If Chow thought enough of Cassell, he should have been telling Floyd Reese that this kid is virtually as good as Palmer/Leinart and that the Titans should be looking to spent even a high day 2 pick on him. You don't let a potential talent like that slip to UDFA status, where everyone has a shot at him and the odds of getting him are a lot lower than using a 7th rounder.

Do you think maybe they'll trade Cassell to us straight up for Losman?

468429[/snapback]

Does it even matter if they don't trade us their entire OL? :doh:

Living in Patsie-land, I saw all of the Pats preseason games (scouting the enemy), and Cassell looked good for a rook. Granted he was playing against fellow 3rd stringers, but he was connecting on passes and was in the flow of the game, dictating what happened. Which is more than you can say for some other QBs.

The Pats could put Dolly Parton at QB and still have a high-quality O. That even with two rookie starters on their OL. It's almost not fair how other teams can plug in people and be really good, and we're left with rejects who can't pass-protect for their lives.