Did anyone else get a quesy feeling when...

Justice

The main problem with his comments is that they are simply true. He simply does need to get better and execute or he will be a goner.

I think TD has done a great job at many facets of his work at GM (negotiating good contracts, making moves with the future in mind, getting us out of caphell quickly), but along with hiring an HC in GW who was not ready for primetime, his attitude toward cutting Christie and acquiring kickers (he once said good kickers were a dime-a-dozen) has been flat-out wrong.

However, though fans are pissed at Lindell correctly for his inadequate performance, the correct answer is not to cut him right now in terms of the Bills producing better.

1. I see no alternative on the waiver wire who offers a better chance of improving the Bills than Lindell executing better-

The chances seem remote to me right now that Lindell is going to improve enough to earn his Cadillac contract, but who with availability presents more than an even more remote chance of producing for the Bills. If Lindell gets worse (failing on kicks inside the 40 at the rate he fails outside the 40, missing PATS, reversing his kickoff performance which has actually improved so far) then a waiver wire kicker may be a better alternative even though the waiver alternatives are bad and you not only pay Lindell anyway but accelerate his payments and cap hit if you cut him. However, right now the best answer for the Bills is for Lindell to simply produce.

2. Take into account that Lindell has improved some portions of his game-

Simon and other observers who have shown themselves to know something about NFL football do report he is striking the ball better when you see him in real life. TV is quite helpful, but does not show things like the height of his kicks or level of co-ordination with the entire return team.

Nevertheless we outsiders can make backside observations such as the return outcomes look pretty good and his balls generally are caught within the 5 yard line. Outside observation indicates his kickoffs have improved. The problem is that his better ball-striking has not added up to better production of points. He simply needs to produce better (or execute as he calls it) or even the unlikely alternative of finding a better kicker on the waiver wire and taking the cap hit of cutting him will b a better alternative.

3. Changes in the Bills from taking in a new kicker will likely hurt this team-

Just as is the case with the OL, players are not mere tinker-toys who can be traded out and traded in with no impact on the team's performance. The Bills ST has developed a chemistry with Lindell and the coverage guys are used to how much he does exactly what he is told to do in terms of height and direction of kicks. They have practiced together making and recovering onside kicks. His teammates have a better idea of how bad weather impacts the kickers game than the guessing game which will occur with a new kicker. There are simply a ton of things that the team would need to get used to with a new kicker that may end up making the difference in a long-return or a short-return in games.

The bottomline is tha if Lindell's performance degrades or really unless it improves, the Bills may be better off taking the risk with the devil they don't know. However, for now, the best course it strikes me by far is for Lindell to simply execute better.

His words are simplistic and somewhat insulting to fans who lacks knowledge of the game (as most fans do because we don't play with this game for a living) but his words are correct from this outside observers perspective.

He took the "Gregg Williams class on dodging questions with bulls#it answers" ...

33495[/snapback]

Golly guys, I know you don't like Lindell, but what exactly is he supposed to say?

"I didn't miss that kick, it was blocked by God?" or

"I did miss it on purpose, nyah nyah nyah." or

"Yes, yes *sob* I suck.... That's why I need a holder..." or

"Please forgive me, Bills Nation"?

I'm not attacking any of you here, guys, but I do think it is a reach to criticize Lindell for saying the only thing that he could legitimately be expected to say. The truth is virtually everything that is ever said in any interview relating to sports is BS. How can it be otherwise? The kick was missed; he didn't want to miss it; he needs to make more kicks if he wants to keep his job. Does anyone think he doesn't know that? All these interview shows are built on the incessant repetition of the same comments every week, altered slightly to adjust to the game results.

I love sports, but let's be honest. It is the toy department of life, in which the majority of the participants (players and coaches) have an educational level that makes it hard for them to carry on deep philosophical conversations in front of a TV camera. Not that there is anything wrong with that, of course--no one is paying them for the depth of their insights. Lindell gets paid for the depth of his kickoffs.

How bad was the Lindell miss?  Sitting in the upper deck at RWS, I couldn't tell and have not seen a replay from the endzone?

Thanks!

33626[/snapback]

It was very close... high enough to go almost over the top of the left upright, curving away at the end. As good as a mile, as they say... but not an embarrassment.

It was very close... high enough to go almost over the top of the left upright, curving away at the end. As good as a mile, as they say... but not an embarrassment.

33940[/snapback]

That sucker was wide left as soon as it left his foot. It ended up not being by much (probably two or three feet at most), but I could tell right away.