Very hard to be a Bills fan

:) Even coming out of Dunkirk in my childhood years I was never a Bills fan because they were always a joke. Then came Jim Kelly and that whole group that took us to four straight Superbowls and finally I felt they were a team I could watch and enjoy. Just for the record I’m not old enough to remember the AFL champion teams.

Basically we have four superbowl losses as the pinnacle of the franchise history. We have a bunch of jokers making the personnel choices, and even though I think Mularkey is a very good coach we will spend yet another year going nowhere. I look forward to the football season every year and every year I have to wait until next year. All these years after Kelly’s success I’m and just plain tired of it, and frankly its hard to be a Bills fan.

So what’s wrong with the Bills?

1. We needed to keep Pat Williams. His value to the Defensive line was severely misjudged. This is Donahoe’s fault. Edwards didn’t want to play hard at the beginning of his career and he’s not Pat Williams now either.

2. Lossman is not ready. He needs to learn and I do believe he can be good, but this is not his time. Everyone knows Matthews can play and yes he’s getting old but Holcomb can play too and has actually won games. Start anybody else until this kid can mature and learn.

3. The O line sucks. We need a real center, and we need a real offensive tackle. Teague gets blown off the line at least once a game, and Gandy is a guard. Why did we let Marcus Price go? We could sure use him now with Mike Williams out, and Mike Williams is out at least once a year. How much could Price have cost us as a free agent? It’s just silly. Every time Price filled in he did a great job for us. Why did we let Tucker go? He started at Guard last year but rookies are better? I like Preston a lot but he’s the only one I can justify keeping. Donahoe again.

Finally, How long will Ralph Wilson be with us? And why isn’t he more involved in getting something done with this team while he’s still alive to see it? I would think He’d want that. After he goes all bets are off as far as even having a team in Buffalo.

Its just very difficult to be a fan when the team doesn’t care about doing all they can to put the best players on the field every Sunday. They think they have all the answers, and that is all we as fans need to know about it.

:lol:  Even coming out of Dunkirk in my childhood years I was never a Bills fan because they were always a joke.  Then came Jim Kelly and that whole group that took us to four straight Superbowls and finally I felt they were a team I could watch and enjoy.

464736[/snapback]

You basically just defined "bandwagon fan".

You basically just defined "bandwagon fan".

464817[/snapback]

Exactly! Especially the part where you say "I was never a Bills fan because they were always a joke" and only AFTER the SB run do you start referring to the Bills as "we." :lol:

Dude you are a joke.

Being a Bills fan has nothing to do with wins or losses. If you are a fan you love your team even through the hard times. So we are losing right now, we'll get better.

If you jump off the bandwagon now don't come back when we are better. Tools like you are the exact defintion of fair weather fans.

Go Bills.

:lol:  Even coming out of Dunkirk in my childhood years I was never a Bills fan because they were always a joke.  Then came Jim Kelly and that whole group that took us to four straight Superbowls and finally I felt they were a team I could watch and enjoy. Just for the record I’m not old enough to remember the AFL champion teams.

Basically we have four superbowl losses as the pinnacle of the franchise history.  We have a bunch of jokers making the personnel choices, and even though I think Mularkey is a very good coach we will spend yet another year going nowhere.  I look forward to the football season every year and every year I have to wait until next year.  All these years after Kelly’s success I’m and just plain tired of it, and frankly its hard to be a Bills fan. 

So what’s wrong with the Bills?

1. We needed to keep Pat Williams.  His value to the Defensive line was severely misjudged.  This is Donahoe’s fault.  Edwards didn’t want to play hard at the beginning of his career and he’s not Pat Williams now either.

2. Lossman is not ready.  He needs to learn and I do believe he can be good, but this is not his time.  Everyone knows Matthews can play and yes he’s getting old but Holcomb can play too and has actually won games.  Start anybody else until this kid can mature and learn.

3. The O line sucks.  We need a real center, and we need a real offensive tackle.  Teague gets blown off the line at least once a game, and Gandy is a guard. Why did we let Marcus Price go?  We could sure use him now with Mike Williams out, and Mike Williams is out at least once a year.  How much could Price have cost us as a free agent?  It’s just silly.  Every time Price filled in he did a great job for us.  Why did we let Tucker go?  He started at Guard last year but rookies are better?  I like Preston a lot but he’s the only one I can justify keeping.  Donahoe again.

Finally, How long will Ralph Wilson be with us?  And why isn’t he more involved in getting something done with this team while he’s still alive to see it?  I would think He’d want that.  After he goes all bets are off as far as even having a team in Buffalo.

Its just very difficult to be a fan when the team doesn’t care about doing all they can to put the best players on the field every Sunday. They think they have all the answers, and that is all we as fans need to know about it.

464736[/snapback]

It's a good thing we have you armchair GMs out there who know the personnel, cap issues, and what's best for the team better than the Balls' front office. :lol:

Whoa... too much slamming.

He has a point... it is tough to be a Bills fan. Maybe only the Browns have thicker skin due to disappointment... but I have had my heart broken more than I have celebrated. But still, the Bills are my team and have been from birth!

Hey... when we do win that Superbowl... FINALLY (hopefully sooner than later) how sweet it will be :)

Lord have Mercy, I'm so damn sick of hearing people talk about how hard it is being a Bills fan.....do you think the rest of us aren't frustrated over the situation? Here's a newsflash....WE ARE. But does that mean we're going to have to go through some major life crisis of trying to determine if we can somehow manage to remain Bills fans?? HELL NO!!

GROW A SET, ya whiners!!

Dude you are a joke. 

Being a Bills fan has nothing to do with wins or losses.  If you are a fan you love your team even through the hard times.  So we are losing right now, we'll get better. 

If you jump off the bandwagon now don't come back when we are better.  Tools like you are the exact defintion of fair weather fans. 

Go Bills.

465144[/snapback]

I didnt say I was jumping off, what I said was it was hard to be a fan. Its been a long time since Buffalo had any real success, and Im still here. That being said I want you to point out where I was wrong in my original assesment. I dont think you can. :D

Whoa... too much slamming.

He has a point... it is tough to be a Bills fan.  Maybe only the Browns have thicker skin due to disappointment... but I have had my heart broken more than I have celebrated.  But still, the Bills are my team and have been from birth!

Hey... when we do win that Superbowl... FINALLY (hopefully sooner than later) how sweet it will be  :D

465399[/snapback]

One of the things I ve noted as a long time poster is that if you criticise the team right or wrong you will be slammed. I expected that. The Bills fams are passionate people. I will not leave my team as a fan, as I said its just hard. Thanks for your support and for being the voice of reason. :D

One of the things I ve noted as a long time poster is that if you criticise the team right or wrong you will be slammed.  I expected that.  The Bills fams are passionate people.  I will not leave my team as a fan, as I said its just hard.  Thanks for your support and for being the voice of reason.  :D

465879[/snapback]

But you're not being slammed for your criticism of the team; you're being slammed for the first paragraph of your original post where you clearly describe yourself as a bandwagoner.

One of the things I ve noted as a long time poster is that if you criticise the team right or wrong you will be slammed.  I expected that.  The Bills fams are passionate people.  I will not leave my team as a fan, as I said its just hard.  Thanks for your support and for being the voice of reason.  :D

465879[/snapback]

Criticizing the team is one thing....all of us do it and all of us get slammed at some point or another. I don't know of any topic where everyone agrees. HOWEVER, what some of us get sick of are the b.harami-esque recaps of how they feel the Bills have done NOTHING over the past 40 years and how amazingly hard it is to be a fan of the Bills. Do you really think that there is a single Bills fan who doesn't understand very well the heartbreaks and shortcomings durign the span of time that that particular individual has been a fan of the Bills?? Saying stuff like that, when you begin to question the idea of being a Bills fan at all, that's when you'll probably start to really get a lot of sh*t from people....including myself. Cause you know what? When a team is truly part of who you are, the idea of being a fan or not being a fan goes without saying. It's a complete non-issue. Doesn't matter how frustrating things get, or how many superbowls we lose, or how many Music City Miracles go down.....DOESN'T MATTER. At the base of it all, we're Bills fans. That's the one constant. So criticize the team all you want.....hack on TD, JP, the Oline, Ralph, the schedule, etc....chances are some will agree with you and some won't. That's the natural balance of things. But don't for one minute think you (or anyone else) has some extra special burden on you because you follow the Bills. You're not teaching us anything we don't already know.....all you're doing is exposing yourself as what some have already referred to you as - fair weathered.

I've been a FAN since the start of the team.

I have not lived in BUF since 1970.

Along the way I have lived in: N. VA-Redskins Land, Chicago-Da Boars, Houston-when they were the Oilers, Seattle-where they have a GENIUS for a coach and now back in S.VA which is PAN-SKIN country(half Panthers & and half GregSkins).

Obviously I have always had the opportunity to be a FAN of any team, but for me it just didn't feel right. If the NFL was built on feel good people who only backed winners they would lose 98% of their fan base after every Super Bowl.

Am I happy with the way things are going so far? :D:D:D

Do I hope they turn it around FAST? ;):w00t::w00t:

But, no matter what happens, I'm still a FAN!

Just curious.

If I refuse to go to games until they make the playoffs again and refuse to buy anything Bills related but still plan on watching the games and enjoying the occassional party at the relatives during Bills games does that make me a bandwagoner?

I'll root for them to get better but at this point I'm sick of wasting my hard earned dough on a franchise that I feel is spewing endless garbage about change when the only changes being made are knee jerk reactions.

So the original poster is "bandwagon" because he felt spending considerable money and a lot of time on a team that was 2-14 and a complete disaster wasnt a good decision? Well, there is a name for someone who DOES spend a lot of money and time on such a team:

SUCKER

I love the Bills. Always will. We all do. But if they are a terrible, inept, boring team, I cannot begrudge ANYBODY who finds better things to do with the little bit of free cash and the few free hours each week we all work so hard to bank.

I've been a FAN since the start of the team.

I have not lived in BUF since 1970.

Along the way I have lived in:  N. VA-Redskins Land, Chicago-Da Boars, Houston-when they were the Oilers, Seattle-where they have a GENIUS for a coach and now back in S.VA which is PAN-SKIN country(half Panthers & and half GregSkins).

Obviously I have always had  the opportunity to be a FAN of any team, but for me it just didn't feel right.  If the NFL was built on feel good people who only backed winners they would lose 98% of their fan base after every Super Bowl.

Am I happy with the way things are going so far?  :D  :D  :D

Do I hope they turn it around FAST?  ;)  :w00t:  :w00t: 

But, no matter what happens, I'm still a FAN!

465901[/snapback]

Nice post... :D