Anyone read the "ASK TD" on the front page?

I did a count, and it was tough to do a "true" count as in at least one case a false start added yards (rationalizing the "need" for pass v. run, and regardless impossible to tell what was called before the false start), but I counted 16 run plays (including three QB runs) vs. 13 pass plays on 1st and 2nd down when Losman was in.  I know at least two were called draws (obvious when it was run), but not sure about the third. 

Run/Pass ratios

Drive 1: 5/3 (Losman run on this drive)

Drive 2: 1/1

Drive 3: 1/1

Drive 4: 0/1 (interception)

Drive 5: 3/6 (two were trying to make up for a holding call...and I counted the holding call as a snap to the "passing" side even though it was "not a play."). There was a Losman run on this drive.

Drive 6: 2/1 (Losman run on this drive)

Drive 7: 4/0

Total    :16/13

464177[/snapback]

I did some analysis and came up with the following numbers from Sunday's game:

1st down: Run 52.63%, Pass 47.37%

2nd down: Run 37.5%, Pass 62.5%

3rd down: Run 25%, Pass 75%

4th down: Rin 100%, Pass 0%

Total: Run 41.67%, Pass 58.33%

I did some analysis and came up with the following numbers from Sunday's game:

1st down: Run 52.63%, Pass 47.37%

2nd down: Run 37.5%, Pass 62.5%

3rd down: Run 25%, Pass 75%

4th down: Rin 100%, Pass 0%

Total: Run 41.67%, Pass 58.33%

464268[/snapback]

That can't be right, the coach said we run more on 1st and 2nd.

Marc Rotenberg (Oak Park, MI): Last year before the season began you were quoted as saying that this team is going to be a run first, pass second offense. This year you have a rookie QB (basically), why has the play calling been, pass first and run sometimes?

Mike Mularkey: I think if you look at the breakdown on first and second down, we run the ball more than we pass. If you delete third down, where most teams don't run the ball, then you'll find that we've run more.

Coach may be looking at all of the games this season. I just looked at Sunday's game.

Then again, coach may be blowing hot air out of his ass.

464283[/snapback]

He is. I did it for the the other three games. It is something like 62% on 1st and 2nd down.

Personally, I laughed my a$$ off when I read this guy's question:

Awesome!

463808[/snapback]

I sent this one in.....I didn't think it would be answered because it was long winded, but I was just hoping it would be read. Also, I would never give up my season tickets either, but oh well......

Tom,

I know there is no way you'll answer this long question, but I can assure you, if you don't at some point this season, you'll lose my two season tickets next year. It's getting increasingly difficult to watch the Bills play football. In your years here, I haven't seen progress except on the salary cap issue. Our coaching has been bad. Our players are undisciplined. You even started by taking away our uniform colors in which the team was great for over a decade. Everyone at One Bills Drive seems a bit testy when they get called into question about some football decisions that have been made, yet we haven't seen a playoff game in your tenure. But, week after week, we hear about how well we are progressing. I'm officially sick of it. So, I will let you tell me.....Why should I buy Buffalo Bills season tickets next year? And before I get a company line answer.....just remember, no loyal fans are jumping off of the bandwagon, however, when you have to spend $900 a year for two seats, to support all of you in the NFL to live luxurious lifestyles, we have to worry about how to better spend our money. Why should I re-new my tickets next year, considering what has happend in the previous 4 yrs, and 4 games?

I believe Marv Levy coined this phrase:

If you start coaching and making decisions based on what the fans are saying and wanting, then you better just sit in the stands with the fans.

I believe Marv Levy coined this phrase:

If you start coaching and making decisions based on what the fans are saying and wanting, then you better just sit in the stands with the fans.

464311[/snapback]

That only applies for competent coaches like Marv. In Mularkey's case, the fans are right; we need to be a lot more committed to the run than we are currently.

Only one of those was a QB draw.  They other two were scrambles.  So it so really 15/15.  That is unacceptable with Willis, and a young QB.

464262[/snapback]

Which of course rounds up to the 60% pass/run ratio that you're quoting. I checked the first three games. By my count (and I may not be exactly right). Game 1: 25/23 (not counting the 5 straight runs in the last drive to seal the victory) Game 2: 15/12 Game 3: 26/23. I may have mistakenly credited Losman with a run play instead of a pass play or two, but I still don't see how it would swing to 62%, per your numbers....

Which of course rounds up to the 60% pass/run ratio that you're quoting.  I checked the first three games.  By my count (and I may not be exactly right).  Game 1: 25/23 (not counting the 5 straight runs in the last drive to seal the victory) Game 2: 15/12 Game 3: 26/23.  I may have mistakenly credited Losman with a run play instead of a pass play or two, but I still don't see how it would swing to 62%, per your numbers....

464339[/snapback]

I think all of this we need to run more stuff is off a little bit. We need to do what is working for christs sakes.

The thing on Sunday was this......how in hell could Willis maul the Saints in that first drive and hardly see the ball after that again? That's what is inexcusable.

If JP was torching the Saints defense throwing the ball, then keep doing it. I'm for realizing that you keep doing whatever is working until the other team stops it. Willis and the O-line carved up the Saints in that first drive, and then we totally stopped running. It was the most assanine thing I ever saw. That is what pisses me off. I don't care if we have to run it, or pass it, but if something is working well, keep going to it.

Totally mind boggling on our part Sunday to abandon the run after it worked so well.

What, are you trying to rub it in my face like an ass? Don't be a prick.

464211[/snapback]

If it makes you feel any better you should know that of the 267 people who are still in the TBD pick'em, the mouth that is d-wag is currently in 266th place. :)

What, are you trying to rub it in my face like an ass? Don't be a prick.

Hey - I still like TD. I think he's done lots of good things, but I expect improvement year over year, especially last year to this year. Ain't happening so far.

464211[/snapback]

just find it strange that after defending his off-season and mocking anyone who disagreed with his moves (or non-moves) you are now calling him out......

I found it very interesting that the team chose to post those particular questions in the the TD forum. Those questions very much represented what many, many of are wondering. It is good to know that the team is aware of these questions, but the answers were direct enough.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bills run it 35 times Sunday.

They need to know that the fans are pissed and they need to listen to our collective wisdom. We're all saying run the football more right?

464208[/snapback]

Not that I disagree with you about the Bills needing to run more, I think they should commit to it a bit more as well. However, the last thing the Bills braintrust needs to do is listen to the fans "collective wisdom"?

wow.....what happened to "the bills braintrust knows best"? you seemed pretty content with their decision making in the off-season.......quite a change of heart........

463931[/snapback]

It must be that Antonio Brown syndrome, where they look great in the pre-season and completely play like crap when the real games begin.

Very sad for all the Bills fans out there. I was very disappointed by Mularkey's excuses after some losses, and have lost a lot of respect for the guy I felt was the right head coach for this team.