Alcohol at sporting events gets a bad rap

smokinandjokin

Most of the posts criticizing the behavior in the Ron Mexico thread cited alcohol as the reason the place was out of control. I am here to lend my support for alcohol, and especially for cold beer. Football and frosties go hand in hand.

I strongly disagree with the bad rap alcohol gets in the Ron Mexico thread and in every other situation where fans are unruly. After the Pacers-Pistons brawl, the media/sportscasters immediately got on their high horse and blamed alcohol sales for the escalation of that scenario.

Everytime someone mentioned the chants or yelling, it was preceded by "these drunk morons behind us were..." We seem to discount the fact that there's a lot of people who are morons when they are sober.

Trust me, I'm not saying alcohol does not contribute to fans fighting, cursing, and being generally disrespectful. Of course it does. But it really bothers me when it is blamed for every single incident that ever occurs. I, like 95% of the rest of the crowd, like to have a few beers with my buddies in the parking lot, and a few while I watch the game. Often times I drink to the point of being drunk ( :devil: gasp!) I am mindful to be respectful of those around me.

If you are shocked and appalled by seeing drunks at an NFL game, you are not living in the real world. If you are worried about your kid seeing it, don't bring him to the game...OR...bring him and point out how irresponsible and disgusting that behavior is.

If some individuals can't handle their drinking, that's their fault, not the alcohol's. Who's with me?!?

That's the problem nowadays, people get all pissed off and think that everyone else should live by their moral guidelines & political correctness. It's a football game. It happens. You think football is bad? Try seeing the Red Sox take on the Yankess in Yankee stadium. It's makes this Ron Mexico business look like Kindergarten. If you don't want your kid to see it, go sit in the family section. Majority rules folks and we love our beer. There's going to be idiots in every crowd, no matter if alcohol is involved or not. Deal with it.

"Beer, the cause of and solution to all problems."

-Homer J.

459134[/snapback]

:devil:;):lol:

Lordy, I'm taking my six year old and 4 yr old to the Fins game. Sitting in section 316, row 38. In other words the last row in the upper deck corner. Now, I am sure no one ever drinks or cusses up there. Really not worried bout it at all. More worried bout whats gunna come out of my mouth tha anyone around us. Howevert, I am the classic do as I say not as I do daddy.

In terms of beers, all I can say is NCAA games just miss a certain something when your smuggling in airplane containers of Jack instaed of buying a cold one there. Just not quite the same experience without beers

Blaming alcohol for someone acting like a Dumba** is like blaming a hurricane for high gas prices. It is completely up to the individual or individuals in control of said product wether or not they act like a douche bag. I was sitting in section 219 for the ATL game and there were plenty of loud and obnoxious SOBER fans as well as those that had a few beers (or more) and to be quite honest some of the sober folks were making the drunks look good.

:devil:  ;)  :lol:

Lordy, I'm taking my six year old and 4 yr old to the Fins game. Sitting in section 316, row 38. In other words the last row in the upper deck corner. Now, I am sure no one ever drinks or cusses up there. Really not worried bout it at all. More worried bout whats gunna come out of my mouth tha anyone around us. Howevert, I am the classic do as I say not as I do daddy.

In terms of beers, all I can say is NCAA games just miss a certain something when your smuggling in airplane containers of Jack instaed of buying a cold one there. Just not quite the same experience without beers

459162[/snapback]

Excellent! The kids will have a blast! I spent many a Sunday afternoon in the upper atmosphere of Rich Stadium as a young lad. It was great! When I was 8 and I saw four guys who had to be 20-something, it looked like they were having the greatest time ever. Now that I'm that age, I know I was right- they were having the greatest time ever!!!

I went to college at Southern Cal, and the LA Coliseum used to be the only NCAA facility to sell beer. That all changed this year. No more.

You're right; when I went to the NCAA tourney at HSBC a few years ago, it was hilarious to see all the empty bottles of liquor under seats when the place cleared out. They might as well sell it there and collect the revenue....

Excellent!  The kids will have a blast!  I spent many a Sunday afternoon in the upper atmosphere of Rich Stadium as a young lad.  It was great!  When I was 8 and I saw four guys who had to be 20-something, it looked like they were having the greatest time ever.  Now that I'm that age, I know I was right- they were having the greatest time ever!!!

I went to college at Southern Cal, and the LA Coliseum used to be the only NCAA facility to sell beer.  That all changed this year.  No more.

You're right; when I went to the NCAA tourney at HSBC a few years ago, it was hilarious to see all the empty bottles of liquor under seats when the place cleared out.  They might as well sell it there and collect the revenue....

459175[/snapback]

What kills me in college stadiums is that for the most part now they sell you the coke in a plastic bottle, and then fill a cup up with ice. They know most people like to pour their booze in first, so they give you that option.

I as well spent many a Sunday afternoon in the upper deck in my youth. Never did me any harm. :devil:

If you are shocked and appalled by seeing drunks at an NFL game, you are not living in the real world.  If you are worried about your kid seeing it, don't bring him to the game...OR...bring him and point out how irresponsible and disgusting that behavior is. 

If some individuals can't handle their drinking, that's their fault, not the alcohol's.  Who's with me?!?

459120[/snapback]

I'm NOT with you. There are people who can't handle themselves when drinking, realize this, but drink anyway. So yes, it is the person, but it is ALSO the alcohol.

Hey, I love alcohol. All different kinds. I've also been puked on by a drunk at a game, I've had drunk idiots pick fights at the game, I've had beer thrown on me at a game, etc.

The overconsumption of alcohol at games does more harm than good. If people could stay under control, it would be cool. But they can't. So it's not cool. It's the fault of these drunk asswipes that I can't buy beer in the second half! But I guess if they continually ruin the experience for others, limiting alcohol sales is the right thing to do.

What kills me in college stadiums is that for the most part now they sell you the coke in a plastic bottle, and then fill a cup up with ice. They know most people like to pour their booze in first, so they give you that option.

I as well spent many a Sunday afternoon in the upper deck in my youth. Never did me any harm. :(

459187[/snapback]

You just know the colleges are cringing at the thought of how much money they could make with the sale of alchohol. But I doubt any of them would want to come out in public and try and challenge the NCAA regarding the rule.

Never EVER blame the booze!

Seriously, some people should be labeled with "Instant Idiot: Just add alcohol". It seems a lot of those people show up to games, unfortunately.

I've worked in a lot of bars in my day, and it's amazing how some people just change (for the worse) when drinking...yet, continue to drink day-in and day-out. I think they should be videotaped for viewing when they are sober...perhaos that might influence their future drinking. (unlikely, I know)

I told a woman I know that a mutual accuatance was a freaking idiot (I have so much tact). She said, "he's only like that when he drinks. When he's sober he's fine." My reply was that every time I saw him he was drinking...so, to me, he's an idiot.

If you're an idiot when you drink, and you drink all the time...you're an idiot!

That's the problem nowadays, people get all pissed off and think that everyone else should live by their moral guidelines & political correctness.  It's a football game.  It happens.  You think football is bad?  Try seeing the Red Sox take on the Yankess in Yankee stadium.  It's makes this Ron Mexico business look like Kindergarten.  If you don't want your kid to see it, go sit in the family section.  Majority rules folks and we love our beer.  There's going to be idiots in every crowd, no matter if alcohol is involved or not.  Deal with it.

459129[/snapback]

Majority rules?since when?

Majority rules?since when?

459235[/snapback]

In what way are you reffering to? I was talking about the people who don't cause problems but drink at games- the majority.

PLus, beer brings in more money for the teams.

I went to college at Southern Cal, and the LA Coliseum used to be the only NCAA facility to sell beer.  That all changed this year.  No more.

459175[/snapback]

Bzzz... wrong. The Carrier Dome in Syracuse has and continues to sell beer since it opened in 1980.

Most of the posts criticizing the behavior in the Ron Mexico thread cited alcohol as the reason the place was out of control.  I am here to lend my support for alcohol, and especially for cold beer.  Football and frosties go hand in hand.

I strongly disagree with the bad rap alcohol gets in the Ron Mexico thread and in every other situation where fans are unruly.  After the Pacers-Pistons brawl, the media/sportscasters immediately got on their high horse and blamed alcohol sales for the escalation of that scenario.

Everytime someone mentioned the chants or yelling, it was preceded by "these drunk morons behind us were..."  We seem to discount the fact that there's a lot of people who are morons when they are sober.

Trust me, I'm not saying alcohol does not contribute to fans fighting, cursing, and being generally disrespectful.  Of course it does.  But it really bothers me when it is blamed for every single incident that ever occurs.  I, like 95% of the rest of the crowd, like to have a few beers with my buddies in the parking lot, and a few while I watch the game.  Often times I drink to the point of being drunk ( 0:) gasp!)  I am mindful to be respectful of those around me.

If you are shocked and appalled by seeing drunks at an NFL game, you are not living in the real world.  If you are worried about your kid seeing it, don't bring him to the game...OR...bring him and point out how irresponsible and disgusting that behavior is. 

If some individuals can't handle their drinking, that's their fault, not the alcohol's.  Who's with me?!?

459120[/snapback]

It's a shame that a few bad apples can ruin a fun time for everyone. :(