Willis "catching his breath" on 3rd down

stevewin

I thought Mickey made sense.  Besides,  having a different 3rd down package with a different back is not exactly unique and the sole property of Mike Mularkey.

456385[/snapback]

True. the world champions seem to rely on it quite frequently and it works for them. I still would like to see more of Willis in those situations though :o

Willis needs a breather?

This article is from the Bills website on July 21. Willis must have really fallen out of shape in the past two months....

Willis is ready

And from Mr. Mularkey himself:

"There's no question he's been working out," Mularkey said. "You can tell physically he's a specimen. I know that group down there (U of Miami), they work hard. There's a number of them that have a strict workout and you can tell he's been working out. He's in [good] physical condition."

I think he can survive three straight plays!!!

Yeah... Didn't we get rid of Rusty for another "Pittsburgh Buddy". Also, did you notice that Mularky's new "t shirt look" is mirroring the Pittsburgh coaches? It's amazing how the Steelers continue to produce a good product minus "Ol' Whitey" while we appear to be in shambles.

Now you're stoking my fire when you mention Teflon Tom. Are you trying to get me in trouble? or, are you trying to get in trouble. The mere incinuation that Teflon Tom is less than God almighty is going to cause a lot of poo to be flung our way. Get your poo headgear on... it's a comin.

True. the world champions seem to rely on it quite frequently and it works for them. I still would like to see more of Willis in those situations though  :o

456393[/snapback]

That was Sammy Morris' role here. I guess it's either Shaud's or Shelton's now. The question here is whether or not Willis is the best guy for 3rd down. I will say this, Willis has been missing a few blocks, so perhaps he is not the right guy for 3rd down?

Also, I don't think the "holding Willis' yards back in order to alter the contract negotiation" conspiracy works, either. I doubt that Mularkey would have called out Willis last week to hit the hole harder to get more yards whether or not the hole is there if he was trying to hold Willis's stats back.

I still don't understand MMs logic on this one. Sure, if WM needs a break here and there that is completely exceptable.....but to take out our best offensive threat routinely on the most critical down of a series is baffling. :o

456524[/snapback]

I just don't get it either and it is SO OBVIOUS that if Willis goes out and Shaud is in, that we are going to throw, especially on third down. I really like Shaud, I think he's a great back up, however, I don't know if I'd wanna count on him for every third down... I'd feel alot better if WM were out there... But apparently MM has other plans for this

I just email this question to Tom Donahoe on the Ask the GM page, maybe next week he'll give us the answer. :o

In view of the fact that prominant starters have been "winded" and need to be replaced in key situations (Vilarial on 4th down, Willis on almost all 3rd downs), do you feel replacing the leagues concensious #1 stenghth and conditioning coach, Rusty Jones, was a mistake?

I guess I was pointing more at MM than Mickey, and with a re-read I just Noticed the "fig leaf" statement.  If Mularkey thinks he's fooling anybody, well thats just...Mularkey! (sorry)  Either way the point I was making is that its kinda stupid to try to hide something that is fairly obvious to everybody.  Be it injury status, his game plan, or player substitutions the man rarely gives a straight answer.

456390[/snapback]

Understand that I don't have any objection to him trying to hide this kind of thing even if it is a pretty lame attempt. What bothers me is not how he answers the questions but that we don't have arguably the best player on the team on the field in crucial situations. I hate situation substitution because it takes too much time and is a tell as far as what you plan to do on the next play. Third and six or less and Willis should be on the field imho.