Got my NHL Center Ice Notice - disappointed

HurlyBurly51

So after taking a year off, their marketing ploy is a whole $30 off the package price, or $129. That's still a pretty good value compared to the Ticket, as you get 1,100 games for that price. But it's disappointing because there were rumors circulating that it would be reduced to something like $50 for the season to try and woo back fans. And no mention of HD. Thanks for nothing Bettman :lol:

So after taking a year off, their marketing ploy is a whole $30 off the package price, or $129.  That's still a pretty good value compared to the Ticket, as you get 1,100 games for that price.  But it's disappointing because there were rumors circulating that it would be reduced to something like $50 for the season to try and woo back fans.  And no mention of HD.  Thanks for nothing Bettman :lol:

452084[/snapback]

I haven't received my notice yet and was wondering how the package was going to work this year. I checked the sports ordering channel and didn't see anything, so I scanned the dial. As of last night, DirecTV didn't have any mention of Center Ice on any of their channels. The season is only 2 weeks away. I figured that they would at least advertise it a little to try to get people to buy it.

I checked their web site and had to go down a second level on the sports ordering info page to even get a mention of Center Ice. I hope the NHL does a better job advertising the game this year than they have the past few, but it doesn't look like they will.

Did your renewal notice mention anything about the NHL network? Comcast is supposed to be starting one for the States and I was wondering when it would start, whether DirecTV would carry it, and if it would basically be the same as the one in Canada. I've never seen the Canadian version, but if it's anywhere near the quality of the NFL network, I can't wait to see it.

Dave.

IDid your renewal notice mention anything about the NHL network?  Comcast is supposed to be starting one for the States and I was wondering when it would start, whether DirecTV would carry it, and if it would basically be the same as the one in Canada.  I've never seen the Canadian version, but if it's anywhere near the quality of the NFL network, I can't wait to see it.

Dave.

452091[/snapback]

Nope, no mention of NHL Network. Basically just we'll be taking your money starting in October in four easy installments...

The players screwed themselves. No ESPN contract- they will be relegated to OLN- for one game a week. They will not make any new fans and will dissapoint hockey fanatics. I live in CT and have no local hockey teams. I have cable and will not be able to see many, if any Sabres games. The Deuce showed hockey almost every night. Man I miss hockey

So after taking a year off, their marketing ploy is a whole $30 off the package price, or $129.  That's still a pretty good value compared to the Ticket, as you get 1,100 games for that price.  But it's disappointing because there were rumors circulating that it would be reduced to something like $50 for the season to try and woo back fans.  And no mention of HD.  Thanks for nothing Bettman :lol:

452084[/snapback]

They need to 'woo back' some profits and they know the die hard fans are starved for hockey. IMO you're lucky to get the $30.

They need to 'woo back' some profits and they know the die hard fans are starved for hockey.  IMO you're lucky to get the $30.

452150[/snapback]

So what's the better business plan - market to a broader audience, "woo back" those fans they lost due to the year off and gain new customers through attractive pricing in addition to the die hards, or introduce a high price point to your core market and snub the potential broader audience that may be drawn in by a low price point? They need to grow the sport to see the profits needed to support their salary expectations, and the revenues would probably be better served both short and long term via a better PR campaign. Penny wise and pound foolish.

So what's the better business plan - market to a broader audience, "woo back" those fans they lost due to the year off and gain new customers through attractive pricing in addition to the die hards, or introduce a high price point to your core market and snub the potential broader audience that may be drawn in by a low price point?  They need to grow the sport to see the profits needed to support their salary expectations, and the revenues would probably be better served both short and long term via a better PR campaign.  Penny wise and pound foolish.

452164[/snapback]

Lower prices don't automatically mean higher volume. You are assuming that they would get a significant increase in subscribers with a bigger discount? I don't think so...at least not enough to cover the lost revenue from all current subscribers. Think about it; if they charged the $50 you suggest, they'd lose $79 on each subscriber who otherwise would pay $129. Then they have to make up all that revenue with new subscribers at the $50 rate. That means they'd need to have 79/50 = 158% more subscribers, just to break even. That ain't gonna happen even if you have naked female refs.

If people really want to watch hockey, the difference between $50 and $129 for the season isn't significant enough to affect their buying decision (yourself being Exhibit A). It's still not that much money to watch the entire season (and it's in line with the other sports). And casual fans who really don't care all that much one way or another aren't going to pay even the $50.

Hockey won't grow by trying to make it cheaper for people to pay attention. People have to love the game, and you can do that by improving the quality of the product on the ice.

Lower prices don't automatically mean higher volume.  You are assuming that they would get a significant increase in subscribers with a bigger discount?  I don't think so...at least not enough to cover the lost revenue from all current subscribers.  Think about it;  if they charged the $50 you suggest, they'd lose $79 on each subscriber who otherwise would pay $129.  Then they have to make up all that revenue with new subscribers at the $50 rate.  That means they'd need to have 79/50 = 158% more subscribers, just to break even.  That ain't gonna happen even if you have naked female refs.

If people really want to watch hockey, the difference between $50 and $129 for the season isn't significant enough to affect their buying decision (yourself being Exhibit A).  It's still not that much money to watch the entire season (and it's in line with the other sports).  And casual fans who really don't care all that much one way or another aren't going to pay even the $50.

Hockey won't grow by trying to make it cheaper for people to pay attention.  People have to love the game, and you can do that by improving the quality of the product on the ice.

452176[/snapback]

You are assuming that all the current subscibers stay and pony up the $129. Not gonna happen, myself included. Just by gauging reaction from other boards that are current subscribers, they are not happy and not planning on staying. So now, just like the arenas, they've priced themselves out of the casual fan market. Had they given some significant price consideration, say $99, then at least they would've had a better chance at higher volume.

The Deuce showed hockey almost every night.  Man I miss hockey

452102[/snapback]

It's like the movie Dodgeball, where they show the big tournament on ESPN 8- The Ocho. :( Hockey on the Outdoor Life Network...just doesn't seem right. I thought hockey was played indoors...