Which NFL head coach gets bagged first?

TheMadCap

Which of these NFL head coaches gets fired first this season?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these NFL head coaches gets fired first this season?

• Mike Tice
    • Dom Capers
    • Jeff Fisher
    • Mike Shanahan
    • Norv Turner
    • None of the above

Please tenny fire him, so maybe TD can bring in a coach for the first time in 5 years.  Please, please.

449783[/snapback]

I'm not taking shots at you, or getting into reasons why, but do you really hate mularkey as much as you portray?

I'm not taking shots at you, or getting into reasons why, but do you really hate mularkey as much as you portray?

449799[/snapback]

I do believe he made some horrible mistakes on field coaching last year. I didn't really bring any up until that disaster against the steelers. This year he and his crew have done a terrible job game day coaching in both games.

So no I don't hate MM as a person as he seems decent enough, but he is a far worse game day and preperation coach then Williams ever was, and I thought Williams was an aweful coach.

Tice. 'Cause he refuses to lose that ridiculus pencil behind his ear <_<

Coach Dauber got this great vote of confidence from new owner Ziggy Wilf who was asked yesterday if Tice was in danger of losing his job: " Mike Tice is our HC right now and I look forward to working with him to make our team better".

Might not want to build that new multi-million dollar lake place just yet, Mikey.

I do believe he made some horrible mistakes on field coaching last year.  I didn't really bring any up until that disaster against the steelers.  This year he and his crew have done a terrible job game day coaching in both games. 

So no I don't hate MM as a person as he seems decent enough, but he is a far worse game day and preperation coach then Williams ever was, and I thought Williams was an aweful coach.

449804[/snapback]

you realize you can't throw out something like that without backing it up. we'll be waiting.

you realize you can't throw out something like that without backing it up.  we'll be waiting.

449807[/snapback]

Let's talk about the obvious things in the two games this year.

Against Houston:

The play call on 4th and 2 and going for it when we are up 12-7. A field goals put us up 8 and gives us momentum going into the half. While it worked out and Peters got the TD, that was a bad decision and we should have kicked the FG.

On the 1st time inside the 20 he pulled Willis, ran Williams and then passed twice, rather then setting the tone and ramming it down their throat with your star back.

Result FG.

On the 2nd series. Two passes, and then a run from the 6. Excuse me, but friggen run the ball on first down.

Final FG series, after the fumble. Willis cracks off 17 yards to the 6. Runs 2 times for 2 yards each, ball sitting at 2. Run the ball in, cram it down there throat, but no we got cute with a 1st year QB, got a intentinal grounding and a FG. That had disaster all over it.

Against TB:

Our play calling was horrible. We tried to pass against a great defensive team in 100 degree heat rather than try to wear them down. Just a bad play calling all along.

Finally in the off season, rather then forcing the issues, and trying to get a stud LT, etc..., running it up the chain, we draft a midget WR, and get a 2nd string LT from detroit who was cut as a replacement for a very average LT.

Let's talk about the obvious things in the two games this year. 

Against Houston:

The play call on 4th and 2 and going for it when we are up 12-7.  A field goals put us up 8 and gives us momentum going into the half.  While it worked out and Peters got the TD, that was a bad decision and we should have kicked the FG. 

On the 1st time inside the 20 he pulled Willis, ran Williams and then passed twice, rather then setting the tone and ramming it down their throat with your star back.

Result FG.

On the 2nd series.  Two passes, and then a run from the 6.  Excuse me, but friggen run the ball on first down.

Final FG series, after the fumble.  Willis cracks off 17 yards to the 6.  Runs 2 times for 2 yards each, ball sitting at 2.  Run the ball in, cram it down there throat, but no we got cute with a 1st year QB, got a intentinal grounding and a FG.  That had disaster all over it. 

Against TB:

Our play calling was horrible.  We tried to pass against a great defensive team in 100 degree heat rather than try to wear them down.  Just a bad play calling all along. 

Finally in the off season, rather then forcing the issues, and trying to get a stud LT, etc..., running it up the chain, we draft a midget WR, and get a 2nd string LT from detroit who was cut as a replacement for a very average LT.

449818[/snapback]

i'll give you credit for at least bringing something to the table...of course, most of this is just your opinion and not "fact" as you would have us believe. i agree with some of it, disagree with some as well.

agree:

-- run WM more inside the 20 and on first down.

-- strategy against TB very questionable.

disagree:

-- 4th down call. MM was making a statement to team that FGs aren't good enough.

-- offseason moves. first, they're not totally MM's call. second, we haven't seen enough to know whether or not they were good moves. it's too early.

i'll give you credit for at least bringing something to the table...of course, most of this is just your opinion and not "fact" as you would have us believe.  i agree with some of it, disagree with some as well.

agree:

-- run WM more inside the 20 and on first down.

-- strategy against TB very questionable.

disagree:

-- 4th down call.  MM was making a statement to team that FGs aren't good enough.

-- offseason moves.  first, they're not totally MM's call.  second, we haven't seen enough to know whether or not they were good moves.  it's too early.

449823[/snapback]

But this seems to be a pattern with him. Look at the Jacksonville game. All he has to do is have the guys bat the ball down once. Yet, he can't get the team to execute simple sh--.

Oakland, was a play calling fiasco, ala TB, and too many passes on first down.

NE game, he allowed Drew to get hammered. Granted this happened the whole season and a lot was Drews fault, but he never designed things to help protect him. I know Drew sucks, nothing could be done, but obviously Parcells has made him look pretty solid so far.

The Jets, Baltimore, forget it. Piss poor play calling. Piss poor execution. Again, for a guy with Clements who are creative experts on the offense, they sure look like a deer in headlights even when we win.

My apologies for the retread thread. However, seeing how we had another weeks worth of info, perhaps it is time for another.

Jeff Fisher is there, not because any of this is his fault, or that he should be fired. But media hounds have mentioned that if the Titans falter once again, they may go with a change, since he has been there since the Houston days. I totally disagree with them by the way...

Gotta be this decades Wayne Fontes, Mike Tice! Tice is an awful coach, but seems to be a likable guy. This, coupled with Red McCombs reluctance to fire him while he was trying to sell the Vikings, I believe, are the only thing that has kept him in charge in Minnesota this year. The Vikings have spent well to adress their traditional defensive flaws, got rid of their best offensive player (R Moss) because it was perceived that this move would somehow make the Vikings offense better. What do the Vikes have to show for it? An 0-2 record, and a superstar QB who is playing some bad football. If anyone should be fired, it is Tice. Hmm....imagine what Jeff Fisher could do in Minnesota!

But this seems to be a pattern with him.  Look at the Jacksonville game.  All he has to do is have the guys bat the ball down once.  Yet, he can't get the team to execute simple sh--.

huh? that's ridiculous. clements makes a play on the ball that was admittedly stupid -- that's MM's fault? and the last play of the game, two bills whiffed as they attempted to bat down the pass. this is NOT a good example, VA. if you're going to blame someone, blame gray for going into semi-prevent mode -- he runs the defense.

Oakland, was a play calling fiasco, ala TB, and too many passes on first down.

NE game, he allowed Drew to get hammered.  Granted this happened the whole season and a lot was Drews fault, but he never designed things to help protect him.  I know Drew sucks, nothing could be done, but obviously Parcells has made him look pretty solid so far.

The Jets, Baltimore, forget it.  Piss poor play calling.  Piss poor execution.  Again, for a guy with Clements who are creative experts on the offense, they sure look like a deer in headlights even when we win.

449831[/snapback]

first and foremost, you called out MM earlier for "horrible mistakes on field coaching" and "terrible job game day coaching." now, you're criticizing him for the players' execution? that's not game day coaching, my friend. game day coaching is adjusting the game plan based upon what's happening on the field, making situational decisions (i.e., going for it on 4th down), managing the clock, and managing things like replay challenges.

for a rookie head coach last season, MM did a fine job in those areas. there were a couple of games (oakland, baltimore, first jets' game) where the offense coughed and sputtered -- do you not recall that your favorite whipping boy travis henry was the featured back in those games? why no responsibility there?

unfortunately, you seem to fall into the pattern of many who want instant perfection. just as JP can't be expected to be all-pro immediately, there's a learning curve for a HC. take a poll of NFL experts and i think you'd find that MM is rated very highly as one of the "up and coming" coaches in the league. he held things together and led a team that started 0-4 within one stinking 4th quarter of making the playoffs. he took a QB who looked awful and made him "adequate" for most of the year.

bledsoe looks "solid" right now because of parcells, plain and simple. parcells strikes fear into bledsoe and he knows he can't freelance. if he doesn't get rid of the ball within 3 or 4 seconds, he knows parcells will be all over his ass. as we saw monday night, however, even that doesn't mean bledsoe can perform in the clutch.

to sum up, your criticisms of MM are, in my opinion, unfounded. i agree only that he and clements need to improve in the area of sticking with a game plan that focuses on getting mcgahee into the flow more quickly. with respect to the other areas of responsibility for a HC, i don't see cause for concern.

eball, we will have to agree to disagree. Other then the players do share in the responsibility to execute. And yes Travis was a major issue on execution and adjustment because he was too one dimensional, you could adjust with him as he was a solid stright ahead runner, with limited break away speed, no hands , and horrible blocking skills. .