A little tidbit on McGahee

Buffan00

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah way to place the blame there MM.  You call 3 first down runs out of 18 first down plays, and it's all Mcgahees fault.  Sure, force him into having to save your ass on 2nd and 10 and try to get 5 or more yards to save your sorry ass play calling.

449083[/snapback]

Don;t jump the gun. Regardless of play calling Willis was taking tooooooo many steps and not hitting the LOS hard at all. MM is telling him to run hard regardless and thake whatever he can get. 2 yards a pop is better than 0.

Don;t jump the gun. Regardless of play calling Willis was taking tooooooo many steps and not hitting the LOS hard at all. MM is telling him to run hard regardless and thake whatever he can get. 2 yards a pop is better than 0.

449085[/snapback]

And I agree to a point. But don't force him into obvious running plays on 2nd and 10 and the need to get 5 yards because of the piss poor play calling. Yes Willis didn't hit the holes hard, but I believe part of it was the need to make up for the bad play calling on 1st down.

And I agree to a point.  But don't force him into obvious running plays on 2nd and 10 and the need to get 5 yards because of the piss poor play calling.  Yes Willis didn't hit the holes hard, but I believe part of it was the need to make up for the bad play calling on 1st down.

449088[/snapback]

Oh hey yeah. We needed to get a better job done of calling the appropriate play. But apples is apples and Willis stunk like the rest of the O on Sunday.

I would tend to agree VA on the benefits of a "stick to it" running strategy, but I understand why they strayed from it when Willis was not running with discipline on most plays.

449087[/snapback]

Again 3 out of 18 plays. "Stick to it" only applies if you try it. How can Willis get it going if he isn't given the chance. Hell even if he only gets 2.5 yards per run, then we are in 3 and 5 and makable, instead of 3rd and 8 or 9.

I hope this little bit from that link turns out to be prophetic:

So far in his brief NFL career, Willis has done best when he perceives that there is something to prove, so perhaps his poor showing on Sunday will light a fire under him and cause him to run harder in week three.

Thurman also use to really thrive when he had something to prove. Sunday may be a good character test for our young "superstar" running back.

Yep, I have a feeling he's gonna come out running strong this week to do what he does best: "silence the critics"!

449096[/snapback]

Only if we see 10 or more of these:

1-10-TB46 (14:53) W.McGahee up the middle to TB 45 for 1 yard (R.Barber).

1-10-BUF27 (8:22) W.McGahee left tackle to BUF 30 for 3 yards (S.Quarles).

1-10-BUF45 (11:45) W.McGahee right tackle to BUF 48 for 3 yards (D.Brooks).

Instead of only these three.

Again 3 out of 18 plays.  "Stick to it" only applies if you try it.  How can Willis get it going if he isn't given the chance.  Hell even if he only gets 2.5 yards per run, then we are in 3 and 5 and makable, instead of 3rd and 8 or 9.

449095[/snapback]

I guess what I'm saying is that Mularkey is not Mike Martz, and he sees the same things were seeing and wants to run the ball too. If Willis isn't going to hit the hole, they can't afford to use additional plays just hoping that he does. Again, I agree witrh you on what the strategy should be overall, but circumstances can dictate otherwise at times.

And I agree to a point.  But don't force him into obvious running plays on 2nd and 10 and the need to get 5 yards because of the piss poor play calling.  Yes Willis didn't hit the holes hard, but I believe part of it was the need to make up for the bad play calling on 1st down.

449088[/snapback]

so you're saying that willis contemplated the bad play call on first down, and then decided he would not hit the hole hard? :(

sorry, i think that's a little ridiculous. blaming the playcalling is one thing (and legitimate); suggesting that the RB decided to change his running style to "make up for" a bad play call is another.

so you're saying that willis contemplated the bad play call on first down, and then decided he would not hit the hole hard?    :(

sorry, i think that's a little ridiculous.  blaming the playcalling is one thing (and legitimate); suggesting that the RB decided to change his running style to "make up for" a bad play call is another.

449114[/snapback]

I am only suggesting that it's a possibility. :o

Again 3 out of 18 plays.  "Stick to it" only applies if you try it.  How can Willis get it going if he isn't given the chance.  Hell even if he only gets 2.5 yards per run, then we are in 3 and 5 and makable, instead of 3rd and 8 or 9.

449095[/snapback]

If running the ball was the game plan. Okay.

But after the Houston game I think the Bills plan was to pass.

Bottom line: in a season during there will be plays that feature the o-line performing better than others, McGahee HAS to hit the line. If the o-line flubs their assignments and goes for no gain, so be it.

But on that one play where everything clicks and a hole opens up--no matter how brief--McGahee's natural talent will kick in and he will be off to the races.

I like Mularkey more and more, too.

One other point: with all the hype about JP Losman just needing to "not make mistakes" and the Bills needing to "establish the running game to take pressure off the new QB," don't you think that got into #21's head a bit?

The dancing we saw could have been Willis trying to put the game on HIS shoulders and make the big play and get the Bills out of a bind--especially if he saw his QB struggling. That's what team players do, good or bad.

What Mularkey should have done was instructed McGahee to run north and south, pound into the line, and exploit the smallest seams. Sooner or later, the dam would break and he'd be free.

Criticize the play calling all you want. When McGahee starts hitting the line, the entire tone of the offense will change.

If running the ball was the game plan. Okay.

But after the Houston game I think the Bills plan was to pass.

449127[/snapback]

Well if that's true, that's even more stupid. Why would a coach throw a 1st year starting QB to the wolfs like that? This wasn't Seattles defense, this is a top tier defense, and would be crazy to try and force JP to win the game for you.

Well if that's true, that's even more stupid.  Why would a coach throw a 1st year starting QB to the wolfs like that?  This wasn't Seattles defense, this is a top tier defense, and would be crazy to try and force JP to win the game for you.

449137[/snapback]

That's what it looked like to me, but I'm no B.harami98. :(

See for yourself.

Run, pass, pass, punt. Series after series.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/gamebook/NFL_20050918_BUF@TB

Well if that's true, that's even more stupid.  Why would a coach throw a 1st year starting QB to the wolfs like that?  This wasn't Seattles defense, this is a top tier defense, and would be crazy to try and force JP to win the game for you.

449137[/snapback]

The alternative was a tip-toeing Willis. Tom Clements picked his poison, probably based upon JP's solid performance the week before, but it obviously didn't work out.

And as I mentioned before, unless a poster poo-pooed the playcalling after the Texans game, I don't want to hear it. Willis got most of his touches in the 2nd half of that game making the ratio closer but in both games Willis' runs accounted for roughly 1/3 of the offensive plays from scrimmage.