Can I remind some of you one thing???

Draconator

My argument to counter that is that this is a different NFL than 20 years ago. Salary cap has made windows of opportunity much smaller, and teams are less likely to grow "together" the way the Bills of the mid 80's grew into seasoned veterans and Super Bowl contenders.

My argument to counter that is that this is a different NFL than 20 years ago.  Salary cap has made windows of opportunity much smaller, and teams are less likely to grow "together" the way the Bills of the mid 80's grew into seasoned veterans and Super Bowl contenders.

448896[/snapback]

So what's your point? Cut JP and sign a veteran qb to a one year contract because windows of opportunity for a ring are not what they were 20 years ago? Try convincing New England fans of that.

Jim Kelly was 4-12 in his first year.

He, and the Bills, turned out pretty damn good.

Reality check third line.

I don't know what this has to do with JP. One can't just toss a statement like that out there. Kelly came in in 86. His head coach was fired after 4 or 5 games. So Levy then came in and essentially began an evaluation period and then began rebuilding the team the following season. I also believe it was only Polian's 2nd season as GM. Kelly didn't have Thermal or Davis behind him... or a very good defense at that time either.

I believe JP will turn out OK too. It will take more than just JP though, and I have serious doubts (actually, zero confidence) that Donahoe has the ability to bring this team anywhere near to where the Bills were under Polian and Levy. And even Butler-Phillips, for that matter. Look where Polian was after 4 years and look where Donahoe is. Yeah... it's a different era with the salary cap now.... so, OK, where is Polian after 4 years with the Colts and where is Teflon Tom after 4 years with the Bills? Advantage Polian (big time). Which team has a better salary cap siituation? Advantage Bills (big time). Which team has a better shot at a SB title this season??????????????

Look where Polian was after 4 years and look where Donahoe is.  Yeah... it's a different era with the salary cap now.... so, OK, where is Polian after 4 years with the Colts and where is Teflon Tom after 4 years with the Bills? Advantage Polian (big time).  Which team has a better salary cap siituation? Advantage Bills (big time).  Which team has a better shot at a SB title this season??????????????

449208[/snapback]

The Colts and their 24th ranked defense in the league will not win the SB this season. Manning is a great QB, puts up big numbers, but i want to see him win an outside playoff game in January.

I think Terry Bradshaw was 1-13 his first year. Steve Young sat the bench for years behind Montana. Stauback sat for a couple of years before getting his chance, and that was after serving four years in the Navy. My point is, there have just not been many young inexperienced QB's that have had success right out of the gate. Arguably, Marino was one. If JP does develope into something good, will this defense still be around? It's an aging bunch.

I think Terry Bradshaw was 1-13 his first year.  Steve Young sat the bench for years behind Montana.  Stauback sat for a couple of years before getting his chance, and that was after serving four years in the Navy.  My point is, there have just not been many young inexperienced QB's that have had success right out of the gate.  Arguably, Marino was one.  If JP does develope into something good, will this defense still be around?  It's an aging bunch.

449275[/snapback]

Every quarterback who has been good out of the gate already had a good team around him. Marino's Dolphins went to the SB the previous year with friggin' David Woodley at quarterback. Roethlisberger's Steelers were a perennial playoff contender before he arrived and had success with friggin' Tommy Maddox and friggin' Kordell Stewart.

Guys like Bradshaw and Kelly came onto young teams that were still a year or two away from starting to jell. They grew with their teams and they and their teammates hit their peaks at the same time.

I personally think JP has a good enough team around him to fall closer to the Marino/Roethlisberger category than the Bradshaw/Kelly category.

Jim Kelly was 4-12 in his first year.

He, and the Bills, turned out pretty damn good.

Reality check third line.

448890[/snapback]

Kelly also came to a team that was 2-14 the two seasons prior. I also don't seem to recall the coaches promising all sorts of things either.

It will take more than just JP though, and I have serious doubts (actually, zero confidence) that Donahoe has the ability to bring this team anywhere near to where the Bills were under Polian and Levy.  And even Butler-Phillips, for that matter.

449208[/snapback]

You must really miss the old 45s because they were the only other thing in this world could skip and repeat itself as much as you do. :(

You must really miss the old 45s because they were the only other thing in this world could skip and repeat itself as much as you do. dry.gif

LA... I'd appreciate it if you'd just "bite me" You've told me that 200 times already. You gotta problem with me or that I gotta problem with Donahoe?

Either way... when I post something, how bout you just hit the ignore button or or simply STFU!!!

You don't like me.... and I really don't care for you and what you think.