Throwbacks done for season?

scribo

OK, I know this was discussed a bit here yesterday, but I was wondering if anyone heard anyting new on topic?

Last week TD said the NFL rule was that any single team can only wear its throwback uniform twice per season. He went on to make some good sense and say that the next time would likely be against the Chargers or in primetime against Denver.

So, is there a way for the Bills to get a waiver, pay a fine/fee, etc., to be able to wear them again later this year? Or are they done for the season now, which IMHO, would be a big mistake marketing-wise?

OK, I know this was discussed a bit here yesterday, but I was wondering if anyone heard anyting new on topic?

Last week TD said the NFL rule was that any single team can only wear its throwback uniform twice per season. He went on to make some good sense and say that the next time would likely be against the Chargers or in primetime against Denver.

So, is there a way for the Bills to get a waiver, pay a fine/fee, etc., to be able to wear them again later this year? Or are they done for the season now, which IMHO, would be a big mistake marketing-wise?

446935[/snapback]

DONE for the season!!!!!!!!!!!!! :doh:

No they're not, we'll be seeing them again ....

447009[/snapback]

I read something today that said they chose to wear them on Sunday because they were a lighter blue than the regular Bills away jerseys, in essence keeping the players a little cooler in the heat. Ralph apparently took a fine just so they could wear those jerseys.

From "Ask Him Yourself"

Sean Anderson (Santa Monica, CA): I noticed the Bills wore the throwback uniforms again this week. I love them and I'm sure a lot of young fans do too. How often can we expect to see the throwback uniforms and the helmet?

Tom Donahoe: Because of all the positive reaction to the throwbacks from Week 1, we decided to wear them again in Tampa Bay. The uniforms seem to be extremely popular with our fans and our players like them as well. We are limited by the NFL rules in that we can only wear them two times in any given season. My suggestion to any of the fans who like the throwbacks is to do some lobbying to the NFL to see if they can change the rule.

Where would one send that email? And can anyone do a general form letter?

From "Ask Him Yourself"

447023[/snapback]

If TD was concerned with heat due to dark uniforms, he should have insured that home and away it was never a factor from day 1 of his regime.

Typical example of the high 'n mighity never remembering their abc's... :doh:

If TD was concerned with heat due to dark uniforms, he should have insured that home and away it was never a factor from day 1 of his regime.

Typical example of the high 'n mighity never remembering their abc's... :doh:

447034[/snapback]

Huh? I don't follow you. What was TD supposed to do? Control the sun? Have white unis home and road?

PTR

Typical example of the high 'n mighity never remembering their abc's... :D

447034[/snapback]

What worked for JetBlue's work uniform just hasn't worked for the Bills, as they hired that designer as a consultant. The emphasis in the redesign was to introduce a darker, navy blue. I don't think anyone really questioned what the practical implications were for wearing an almost black jersey in a venue like TB, Miami, Arizona, SD, etc (or hell, even Buffalo sometimes!) in the early season. I work outdoors at a physical job and I'll tell you, there is a difference.

I think TD's realizing his mistake in rubber-stamping them b/c they "showed up well" on television, as well as the need for a change from the Drew-associated uniforms. I give him credit; a lot of people in high visibility positions are too proud to admit mistakes. His answer to that question told you everything you need to know. Quite a turnaround from "Save the postage." :doh:

Here's a question.

I read last week that the Bills practiced in their throwback helmets during the week leading up to the opener, so they (read: JP) would be used to seeing them during the game.

Did they wear them this past week or did they wear the red ones? Sounds to me like this was a last-minute decision, to bring the throwbacks and wear them. Plus no reporters said anything all week about the throwbacks in practice, which makes me think that they were practicing in the red helmets.

That ain't no excuse for JP's pisspoor play yesterday. But I'm just wondering, y'know?

From "Ask Him Yourself"

447023[/snapback]

When you find out, let me know. I'll write one.

If it's email, we should CC Mr. Wilson, though I think a permanent move back to medium blue has to be in the works at this point already.

What worked for JetBlue's work uniform just hasn't worked for the Bills, as they hired that designer as a consultant. The emphasis in the redesign was to introduce a darker, navy blue. I don't think anyone really questioned what the practical implications were for wearing an almost black jersey in a venue like TB, Miami, Arizona, SD, etc (or hell, even Buffalo sometimes!) in the early season. I work outdoors at a physical job and I'll tell you, there is a difference.

447050[/snapback]

I think most fans anticipated a move towards a darker blue when the new uniforms were first announced. Once we saw them, though, not many people were as crazy about the idea.

In other uniform news, the same guy designed the current LA Angels and Washington Nationals baseball uniforms. He seems to be a new star in the world of uniform design. The Blue Jays should've had him do their new uniforms a couple years back.

I think TD's realizing his mistake in rubber-stamping them b/c they "showed up well" on television, as well as the need for a change from the Drew-associated uniforms. I give him credit; a lot of people in high visibility positions are too proud to admit mistakes. His answer to that question told you everything you need to know. Quite a turnaround from "Save the postage."  :lol:

447050[/snapback]

Well, I have to say I, you, and a whole bunch of folks would have

a) offered sound advice for free

or

b) would have appreciated a game or two in the luxo boxes

for their contribution to the obvious.

Having "millionaires" regret their choices just goes to show that today's milllionaires are not what they used to be. :D

Now back in my millionaire days... :doh:

When you find out, let me know.  I'll write one.

If it's email, we should CC Mr. Wilson, though I think a permanent move back to medium blue has to be in the works at this point already.

447060[/snapback]

I've done some prelim searching for an address to write in to with no luck. No Contacts/employee listing on the NFL.com site. No one to direct this kind of thing to. I think this guy sums it up pretty well....

In the past I have tried half heartedly to contact the main office of the NFL. I have written sports writers to try and get an address and I have spent a few moments on-line trying to find a web site, but the question of where all of the fine money goes burned inside of me. I felt I owed the readers an answer to the question. I felt it was my job to find the answer. With this responsibility weighing on my shoulders I began to search the web in earnest in search of an answer.

There were no results when I typed in NFL League Office. The same result when I tried NFL management. I had some success when I typed in Gene Washington. I found some articles about lectures he was giving in some U.S. cities. This was not enough so I tried Paul Tagliabue. Once again I found some articles about speaking appearances. There appeared to be no sight where these luminaries of the league could be found. With all of the money available to the NFL, it appeared they had not spent a dime to have a suite for their administrative offices. I found this to be suspicious. The NFL has always been so public about fines, suspensions, and public image, it seemed unlike them to try and hide where all of these decisions are made. Perhaps if I dug a little deeper there would be a site out there where the information was available. With a league so worried about public image, the NFL would not want to hide. I reasoned, if they could make such a big deal about Randy Moss wearing a Nike Viking ball cap instead of the authorized Reebok Viking ball cap, they must surely have some way people can write and seek answers to their questions. After all, the NFL is not made up of faceless individuals; it is made up of people who have the concerns of the players and the league at heart.

I began to search in earnest. After some time I found a site called, "National Football League Info on the Web." This seemed like a great place to start, so I clicked on the link called NFL Sidelines. What I found astounded me. The top of the page read, "The Widest Selection of Prescription Drugs Now Available On-Line." Listed were drugs for losing weight, gaining weight, killing pain and enhancing ones sex life. I had to wonder if this was one of the sites player go to, to stay out of the spotlight when they are searching for sleeping pills or added pleasure during sex? The ads stated it was safe, confidential and reliable. I knocked around the page a while, but found absolutely no links to NFL front office. Again, I resumed my quest.

My next stop came after searching another 34 sites. I ran in to the NFL Players Association page. It looked promising. There were links for players to check on benefits, ask relevant questions about retirement and seek medical and legal assistance. There was even a place marked, "Research." I figured this was my best bet to get information so I wrote in my research request. It has been 2 weeks and I still have not heard from them. I don't expect an email any time soon.

I am beginning to feel like Michael Moore in his film, "Roger and Me," the documentary about his search for the elusive CEO of General Motors. Though humorous, the film was a sad commentary on just how faceless the corporate world could be when challenged. I was sure the NFL could not be as faceless and unfeeling as the top management of General Motors. I even found Michael's web site and wrote regarding this matter. I still have not heard from him either, so much for caring about the little people. Maybe if I were from Flint Michigan I would get an answer.

I now have my off-season determined for me. Sure I will spend time watching NFL developments, but my real mission is to make contact with the actual front office of the National Football League. Until I have met this goal, I will not allow any other league development consume my time. I have become an arrow seeking one true mark. I have some contacts I have not used yet, but they will become part of my arsenal in accomplishing this mission. Others can watch the draft and speculate, I am after real sustenance. Raw meat from the NFL in the form some official contact with an answer to my question regarding league fines. I shall not rest until my mission is complete. The rest of you can enjoy the trivialities of the silly season. I am off to hunt big game, then put some answers on the table.

I've done some prelim searching for an address to write in to with no luck. No Contacts/employee listing on the NFL.com site. No one to direct this kind of thing to. I think this guy sums it up pretty well....

447088[/snapback]

NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE

280 Park Ave Frnt 1

New York, NY 10017

Tel: 212-450-1860

NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE

280 Park Ave Frnt 1

New York, NY 10017

Tel: 212-450-1860

447128[/snapback]

Snail mail is so last decade, Campy! :doh: But barring any specific person to contact, I guess that's it. The only individuals are with specific teams. It's as if no one works in the league's front office, and if they are there, they're anthrophobic.

How do reporters get contact information? Or is getting a sitdown with Tags conducted like an bin Laden interview?

I could see why they'd be so secluded; would you want 200 million rabid football fans calling or emailing you?

I'll work on a form letter and post it later.

scribo, if you could add a line in the thread "Please print & send to NFL" that'd be nice.

Feel free to print this out and add your own comments.

----------

19 September 2005

National Football League

280 Park Ave Frnt 1

New York, NY 10017

Dear Commissioner Tagliabue,

As a lifelong viewer of the NFL and diehard Buffalo Bills fan, I have experienced the ups and downs of watching my favorite team on the football field. I enjoy the history and tradition of the game, and it is in that vein that I write to you about making a slight change in the NFL’s uniform requirements.

When the Bills redesigned their uniforms before the 2002 season, it was a time of dynamic change for the franchise with the signing of Drew Bledsoe and the ushering-in of a new era. If you gather three Bills fans in one room, you’ll get seven different opinions on the new navy blue uniforms, but the overriding consensus among the fans and those in the media (including Gregg Easterbrook in his excellent “Tuesday Morning Quarterback” column on the NFL.com website) is that they divert too far from the traditions of the Buffalo Bills. This year has again introduced incredible change and excitement for the future of the Bills, and the throwback uniforms of the 1965 championship season have been received with an almost unanimous positive fanfare that wasn’t able to be gauged among the fans, players, and the team’s front office before they were debuted earlier this year. I’m disappointed in the strictness of the league’s uniform policies allowing only two games in which to wear an alternate jersey, as that allotment has now been used.

The policy is understandable, in that you do not want a team to suddenly change their uniforms. There needs to be a constant uniform for team identification and branding, and it is also unfair to fans who have bought the older style jerseys. I would request that the league allow a team to use throwback uniforms in special anniversary years, such as the Bills’ ‘Celebration of Champions’ for the 2005 season. Another proposal would be to increase the number of games a team can wear an alternate jersey.

I would add that the rules have been bent slightly in the past when the New York Jets were allowed to wear their classic-styled uniforms that evoked memories of great seasons of their past. Also, the San Francisco 49ers were allowed to wear their popular black-trimmed uniforms for the remainder of the season and in the Super Bowl in 1995. Now, Tom Donahoe, the President of the Bills, is requesting that the fans write to the league office to request some flexibility to be able to wear these classy throwback uniforms that proudly show off the red, white and blue. I hope you will be willing to oblige that request.

Thank you kindly for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

It isn't right that Tampa has never had to play in buffalo and the Bills had to go play in that 100 heat yesterday - did you see sam adams sucking wind man it looked hot. All I can hope is that in 4 years tampa gets scheduled into Buffalo in December and I will make the trip to hound them hard. Same thing with Miami they end up here in October now 2 years in a row.

Huh?  I don't follow you.  What was TD supposed to do?  Control the sun?  Have white unis home and road?

PTR

447041[/snapback]

The Bucs requested to wear their lighter colored road jerseys for the game. Didn't the Bills have to agree to that, or was that between the Bucs and the NFL and the Bills had to just follow along?

I'm not saying it had much (if anything) to do with the outcome of the game, but if the Bills had no say, that seems blatently unfair.