Here comes Rita

sweet baboo

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_a...4708.shtml?5day

haven't heard this much on the news...and Nagin wants people to re-enter NO while the feds are saying no

446322[/snapback]

He is trying to rehab his image. He effed up pretty bad with this and if he can get people back quickly, then they might think that he is actually doing something. I would err with the side of Allen with this. While the efforts have been miraculous, it is still not at the point where people can be safe. Give it more time.

Projected Path

Is there a merciful God?

Now it looks like it is taking aim at Texas.  Galveston, Houston area in the middle.

Finishing off what Katrina Couldn't?

As it heads across the fetch of a very warm Gulf of Mexico, what cruel joke can might it play?

:)  :lol:  :lol:

447418[/snapback]

There are many refineries on the Texas coast. If it hits there, watch the price of gas continue back up to new record highs. There is nothing funny about it. :lol:

He is trying to rehab his image. He effed up pretty bad with this and if he can get people back quickly, then they might think that he is actually doing something. I would err with the side of Allen with this. While the efforts have been miraculous, it is still not at the point where people can be safe. Give it more time.

446365[/snapback]

As much a critic of Nagin as I am (and I'm a big one), his reasoning isn't necessarily that Machiavellian. If I were mayor of a deserted and abandoned city with no cash in the till and no tax revenue but lots of costs, I'd probably be encouraging people to come back as soon as possible as well. It would still be wrong...but it doesn't have to be as selfishly motivated as "rehabbing his image"; it could just as easily be him trying to do his job as mayor as best he can...which he's already shown is pretty damn poor anyway.

As much a critic of Nagin as I am (and I'm a big one), his reasoning isn't necessarily that Machiavellian.  If I were mayor of a deserted and abandoned city with no cash in the till and no tax revenue but lots of costs, I'd probably be encouraging people to come back as soon as possible as well.  It would still be wrong...but it doesn't have to be as selfishly motivated as "rehabbing his image"; it could just as easily be him trying to do his job as mayor as best he can...which he's already shown is pretty damn poor anyway.

447943[/snapback]

If we were talking a competent mayor, I would agree with you. While I agree that getting tax revenue would be important, I cannot imagine Nagin thinking that far ahead. He immediately blamed everyone but himself when the shiit hit the fan. As more information gets out, he is looking worse and worse. IMO, this was to be a PR move, nothing else. Now, he has another hurricane to possbily deal with. Stuff is not ready for people to move back.

Projected Path

Is there a merciful God?

Now it looks like it is taking aim at Texas.  Galveston, Houston area in the middle.

Finishing off what Katrina Couldn't?

As it heads across the fetch of a very warm Gulf of Mexico, what cruel joke can might it play?

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

447418[/snapback]

It is an intelligently designed hurricane. :)

Seriously, I hope that thing somehow degrades into a lesser storm.

If we were talking a competent mayor, I would agree with you. While I agree that getting tax revenue would be important, I cannot imagine Nagin thinking that far ahead. He immediately blamed everyone but himself when the shiit hit the fan. As more information gets out, he is looking worse and worse. IMO, this was to be a PR move, nothing else. Now, he has another hurricane to possbily deal with. Stuff is not ready for people to move back.

448293[/snapback]

I'd like to ascribe the best motivations to his actions in this regard but, ya know, reality and all....

How can you invite people back unless you pretty much have the primary infrastructure of a major city running? Is there a 911 system functioning? Are the fire departments recovered enough to handle a bad blaze? Can an ambulance get to where it needs to go? Are there enough hospital beds and functioning equipment to handle what needs to be handled? I don't really know what the status of the city is but it seems to me that they ought to err on the side of caution here.

It is an intelligently designed hurricane.  :lol:

Seriously, I hope that thing somehow degrades into a lesser storm.

448303[/snapback]

You THINK you jest, but...

Tim Bourgeois, Tree of Life Christian Church, Canoga Park, California:

"When there are storm winds, they don't just meet because a low pressure area happens to meet with a high pressure area in the upper atmosphere and suddenly this wind just randomly, naturally occurs, and waters randomly fall along with it. This is God's word at work in the midst of his creation."

Intelligent design meterology. Storms don't just "happen". :)

http://universist.org/neworleans.htm

I'd like to ascribe the best motivations to his actions in this regard but, ya know, reality and all....

How can you invite people back unless you pretty much have the primary infrastructure of a major city running?  Is there a 911 system functioning?  Are the fire departments recovered enough to handle a bad blaze?  Can an ambulance get to where it needs to go?  Are there enough hospital beds and functioning equipment to handle what needs to be handled?  I don't really know what the status of the city is but it seems to me that they ought to err on the side of caution here.

448308[/snapback]

I don't think that they have any of that running yet, but I am not sure. I am looking at it from strictly a cleanup state. They still have a lot of cleanup before it is environmentally safe for large numbers of people to return. Then, as you mentioned, the infrastructure.

Fix things correctly and safely, then allow people to return.

448293[/snapback]

That's precisely my point, though: he's not a competent mayor. He clearly doesn't know how and is not prepared to run a city in any sort of an emergency. So why suddenly should we ascribe his idiotic decisions to Machiavellian motivations when they can just as easily be ascribed to simple brute stupidity like he's shown all along?

Hell, I don't even see his blame game as anything but stupidity. "Why is no one acting responsible for this mess!?!?!?!?!?" Uhhh...because it's your responsibility first? That's not manipulative, just dumb. I don't believe the man's trying to dodge his responsibilities...just that he doesn't even remotely know what they are.

To show how incompetent Nagin was, the officials in Texas are already getting ready for the hurricane.

448507[/snapback]

Texas: "We've got a hurricane in the Gulf, everyone prepare."

Nagin: "We've got a hurricane in the Gulf, everyone come back to New Orleans...oops! I didn't say 'Simon Says'..."

Yet another reason I don't think this guy's trying to save his image. He's too stupid to be that Machiavellian.

To show how incompetent Nagin was, the officials in Texas are already getting ready for the hurricane.

448507[/snapback]

That's crazy, Texas officials have seen the destruction of Katrina and the fallout from the failure of all levels of government, of course they'll act quickly. Who knows how they would react if Rita was before Katrina.

On a side note it's impossible to find water on the shelfs and cars are 10 deep at gas stations here in NW houston.

This reminds me of the Eddie Murphy comedy routine:

Eddie Murphy: You know what I was wondering about movies? I was watching movies like...Amityville Horror. Why don't the people just get the hell out of the house? See, white people, you all sit on the toilet, see blood in the toilet, and you all go get Ajax. ... brothers won't sit on the toilet. ... Movie be just like this:

"Wow, baby, this is beautiful. We got chandelier hangin' up here, kids outside playin', it's a beautiful neighborhood, I really love - this is beaut--"

[demonic whisper] "Get out!"

"Too bad we can't stay."

This reminds me of the Eddie Murphy comedy routine:

Eddie Murphy: You know what I was wondering about movies? I was watching movies like...Amityville Horror. Why don't the people just get the hell out of the house? See, white people, you all sit on the toilet, see blood in the toilet, and you all go get Ajax. ... brothers won't sit on the toilet. ... Movie be just like this:

"Wow, baby, this is beautiful. We got chandelier hangin' up here, kids outside playin', it's a beautiful neighborhood, I really love - this is beaut--"

[demonic whisper] "Get out!"

"Too bad we can't stay."

449101[/snapback]

So how does he explain NOLA... Why did they stay? It was the African-American that stayed, right?

??

:blink::)