Please want to blame MM for the loss?!?

42% QB completion percentage. 4-14 on 3rd down conversions. Missing wide open receivers is not a problem with game plan, it is a problem with execution.

446379[/snapback]

We ran the ball 17 times. 4 of the rushes were by Losman. 13 only by McGahee. And we passed the ball 32 times yesterday. There was no balance. There was a problem with the game plan. Willis has to rush for over 100 to be effective for this team. We have to establish a run game to take some pressure off our young qb.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't win when you only run the ball 13 times.

446047[/snapback]

I am with JSP here....

When MM saw that Losman was struggling badly....we should have started force feeding Magehee......

Maybe our OL would have gotten into a rythum.....and put JPL into some short 3rd down coversions....hence getting himself going.....

I think we are getting away from the orginal game plan of this year....run run run.....pass when it favors us.......

CCD will tell you it's because the Bucs had 8 in the box.  That's rubish of course.  If you are going to run, you have to run.

446418[/snapback]

You have to be able to keep a defense honest. There must be a fear of the pass, if you want to run and vice versa. You will not win being a one demensional team against a D like Tampa.

I am with JSP here....

When MM saw that Losman was struggling badly....we should have started force feeding Magehee......

Maybe our OL would have gotten into a rythum.....and put JPL into some short 3rd down coversions....hence getting himself going.....

I think we are getting away from the orginal game plan of this year....run run run.....pass when it favors us.......

446442[/snapback]

The problem was that WM was only picking up like 2-3 ypc on first and second down, putting the pressure on JP to convert third-and-fives. We lost this game on first down, IMO. Not enough TE patterns in obvious running situations, not enough quick slants to EM. Sigh...

The problem was that WM was only picking up like 2-3 ypc on first and second down, putting the pressure on JP to convert third-and-fives.  We lost this game on first down, IMO.  Not enough TE patterns in obvious running situations, not enough quick slants to EM.  Sigh...

446482[/snapback]

They were running the right plays to try an overcome the running woes. Quick slants don't work with 8 in th box. You need to go downfield and make them pay (which they didn't try enough) or throw a quick out. They did run the quick out a bunch but JP couldn't get the ball there.

There was no balance.  There was a problem with the game plan.

446438[/snapback]

I don't recall too many poo-pooing the game plan after the Texans game. According to the NFL Gamebook, Willis' runs accounted for about 1/3 of Bflo's total offensive plays in that game, just like the Tampa Bay game.

It's awfully hard to have Willis get the 25 carries per game that we'd all love him to have when the offense goes 3 and out on 7 of their first 10 possesions, no?

Bills lost because of this stat...

Willis McGahee

13 carries for 33 yards

1 catch for -1 yards.

Willis MUST touch the ball more than 25 times if the Bills want to beat a team like Tampa Bay in Tampa.

On a side note... where the heck were Eric and Lee all day?  Only 3 catches between them.  Where is the gameplanning to get them involved?

This loss can't be ALL attributed to JP.  Afterall, he didn't throw any picks.

446117[/snapback]

Well it wouldnt matter if Willis ran on EVERY down! They shut his but down to not being a factor!

The problem was that WM was only picking up like 2-3 ypc on first and second down, putting the pressure on JP to convert third-and-fives.  We lost this game on first down, IMO.  Not enough TE patterns in obvious running situations, not enough quick slants to EM.  Sigh...

446482[/snapback]

Not sure what game you watched but Mcgahee only ran on 1st three times.

The rest were Jp passes for scrambles. Mcgahee had 1 yard, 3 yards and 3 yards. Not great but the 3 yards are first are respectable.

The problem wasn't Willis, it was coaching and play calling.

First half

1-10-TB46 (14:53) W.McGahee up the middle to TB 45 for 1 yard (R.Barber).

1-10-BUF27 (8:22) W.McGahee left tackle to BUF 30 for 3 yards (S.Quarles).

1-18-BUF12 (2:24) J.Losman pass incomplete to L.Evans (R.Barber). nearly intercepted

1-10-BUF20 (14:50) J.Losman ran ob at BUF 21 for 1 yard (S.Quarles).

1-10-BUF47 (2:26) (Shotgun) J.Losman pass to J.Reed to TB 44 for 9 yards (C.Hovan).

1-10-TB30 (1:54) J.Losman up the middle to TB 23 for 7 yards (J.Phillips).

Second half

1-10-BUF45 (11:45) W.McGahee right tackle to BUF 48 for 3 yards (D.Brooks).BUF-M.Williams was injured during the play.

1-10-BUF20 (5:09) J.Losman pass incomplete to E.Moulds. short-hopped

1-10-BUF34 (3:03) (Shotgun) J.Losman pass to J.Reed to BUF 41 for 7 yards (R.Barber).

1-10-BUF46 (2:06) J.Losman pass incomplete to L.Evans.

PENALTY on TB-E.Wyms, Defensive Offside, 5 yards, enforced at BUF 46 - No Play.

1-5-TB49 (2:00) J.Losman pass incomplete to E.Moulds.

1-10-TB40 (:41) J.Losman pass incomplete to E.Moulds (D.Jackson).

1-10-BUF36 (9:11) K.Holcomb pass incomplete to S.Williams (S.Rice).

1-10-BUF28 (3:51) (Shotgun) J.Losman sacked at BUF 20 for -8 yards (S.Rice).

1-10-BUF39 (2:31) (Shotgun) J.Losman pass to L.Evans to TB 49 for 12 yards (B.Kelly).

1-10-TB49 (2:05) (Shotgun) J.Losman pass to S.Williams to TB 46 for 3 yards (R.Barber).

1-10-TB36 (1:40) J.Losman spiked the ball to stop the clock.

1-6-TB6 (1:07) J.Losman to TB 4 for 2 yards. J.Losman pass incomplete.

PENALTY on BUF-J.Losman, Illegal Forward Pass, 5 yards, enforced at TB 4.

I don't recall too many poo-pooing the game plan after the Texans game.  According to the NFL Gamebook, Willis' runs accounted for about 1/3 of Bflo's total offensive plays in that game, just like the Tampa Bay game.

It's awfully hard to have Willis get the 25 carries per game that we'd all love him to have when the offense goes 3 and out on 7 of their first 10 possesions, no?

446489[/snapback]

One again I'll say it.. Establish the run if it doesn't work try it again.

From the Houston game. Fyi Campy:

*JP att. 28 passes.

*We ran the ball 36 times ie. Losman's scrambles, Lee's reverse and Shaud's att.'s..

*Without Losman's 6 runs that's 30 times we ran the ball.

*Without Lee's reverse that's 29 times.

*And finally take away Shaud's 7 att. that's 22 rushes for Willis.

*Imo they should have ran the ball when on the goal line in the Texans game, which would have put him in the 25 range.

The problem was the run wasn't established in the Tampa game at all.

INDEED!

When they put 8 in the box against Pitt, Big Ben can hit an open receiver. JP had a bad game, why is that so hard to admit?

446065[/snapback]

Yes JP did have a bad game! Very bad game. However, it seems like the offensive game plan was tenative. It is like they afraid to call anything agressive. JP is an agressive QB. He is going to have games like this, probably more this year. But we have to establish the run, and if they are going to stack 8 in the box JP needs to air it out 30 plus yard pass plays. The OL gave him time and he can move the pocket if need be. Slow outs and slants are not going to cut it. And what is the deal with Willis coming out on 3rd down. Williams is not the play maker WM is and on 3rd down you need your play makers.

One or two long pass plays would have loosened up the defense. Blame goes to JP but as more of the blame needs to go towards tom clements and MM.

We had 18 first downs and ran on only three.  The other 15 were the QB dropping back, and either throwing or scrambling. 

Great !@#$ing coaching.  :doh:

446521[/snapback]

Now you're starting to get it. How can you expect a TWO-TIME starter to succeed in an environment where 80+% of first down plays are passes?

Even if a run only gets 1-2 yards, it's better than ZERO yards on an incomplete pass.

Now you're starting to get it. How can you expect a TWO-TIME starter to succeed in an environment where 80+% of first down plays are passes?

Even if a run only gets 1-2 yards, it's better than ZERO yards on an incomplete pass.

447548[/snapback]

I didn't blame JP for this fiasco. If you had read my posts, the problem inside the 20 last week and the problems this week, all fall squarely on the coaches. JP isn't the problem right now or he maybe but the coaching is failing so badly it's hard to tell.

I didn't blame JP for this fiasco.  If you had read my posts, the problem inside the 20 last week and the problems this week, all fall squarely on the coaches.  JP isn't the problem right now or he maybe but the coaching is failing so badly it's hard to tell.

447561[/snapback]

I agree. Losman did throw poorly all day but it's up to the coaches to gameplan correctly and make adjustments as the game progresses.

The Bills abandoned the run much too early against Tampa Bay. Then again, MaGahee moved like he was stuck in mud. I'll be watching him closely vs. Atlanta.