CT residents- what happened with that storm today?

Pete

Holy sh--! Those skys were as nasty as any sky I have ever seen. Black at 6 oclock today, some cloud rotation going on and the clouds were very low. I took off from work on my bike around that time and there was some nasty thunder and lightning for over 3 hours. I am a weather freak but that storm had me nervous. I pulled my bike off, took shelter under an overhang and watched the show. Fuggin awesome! Lightning crashed right across the street from me and hit a tree. It knocked out power and there was this blinding flash of light. Was that from Ophelia? Were there tornados? What caused that storm? I am looking online and cannot find much info besides it knocked out power across the state. One of the coolest storms I have ever seen!

How bad was it? They called for hail even in those parts.

444343[/snapback]

It was hailing all over the state and there are still 30,000 people without power. It was very intense and I love storms. Cloud to ground lightning for over 3 hours, massive thunder and intense rain and hail. It was pitch black at 6 with the lowest clouds I have ever seen. I have family in Kansas and have been there for tornados. This sky reminded me of some of the supercells I have seen out there. I would love to hear what caused the storm and who got hit. I read it was a cold front getting moisture from Ophelia but thats all I could get. I worked all day and didnt see the warnings

It was hailing all over the state and there are still 30,000 people without power.  It was very intense and I love storms.  Cloud to ground lightning for over 3 hours, massive thunder and intense rain and hail.  It was pitch black at 6 with the lowest clouds I have ever seen.  I have family in Kansas and have been there for tornados.  This sky reminded me of some of the supercells I have seen out there.  I would love to hear what caused the storm and who got hit.  I read it was a cold front getting moisture from Ophelia but thats all I could get.  I worked all day and didnt see the warnings

444349[/snapback]

Wow. They said it was going to hit bad. So I am not surprised. Man...hope ya'll are okay.

They interrupted one of the college games yesterday to show the line of showers moving right across the state. It was about 80 percent reds and purples (which basically translates to 'Wall of Water') on the radar, which goes to show how strong it was. Lots of lightning strikes.

Up this way, we got a few boomers (a couple were so close that my dog about jumped up, hit the ceiling and came down on the couch. A 90-lb chicken-dog :D, but his mother was the same way) but it was mostly rain, which we desperately needed. Don't know where it came from, but it was probably leftovers from the showers on Thurs/Fri. When it was over at about 7, we had that orangish-yellowish half-light glow that comes after these things. I always love that.