I had to put my cat to sleep today

HelloNewman

:(:(

My wife and I owned a orange tiger cat that we adopted from an animal shelter 4 years ago as a kitten. He was cute as a button....7 toes on each front foot...he looked like he had mittens on his front paws when he was a kitten...he was such a little knucklehead getting into everything and keeping us busy.....we loved him very much....He was an indoor cat who greeted us everytime we came home and always exposed his belly for a bellyrub when we walked in the door.

About a week ago he started getting really sick....the vet diagnosed him with liver problems and we dropped 500.00 to treat him....fluids...special food...pills...vet visits. He was not responding and not eating and slept all day and did not move. I came home today from work to find him drooling and foaming at the mouth from nausea. I rushed him to the vet and he said the skin in his ears were yellow from jaundice and it was not getting better. We had to euthanize him and I just got home from the vet about 1 hr ago and I feel awful......my wife took it very hard.

I hope that anyone on this board who jokes about hurting cats and posting avatars with pictures of a gun to a kittens head with the words "DIE" across the top will think twice about how their actions affect others. It is not funny at all and very immature. Lets hope this does not happen to any of their pets because it is an awful feeling to have to put a pet to sleep from illness and watch their pet deteriorate. Thanks for listening :D

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very sorry for the loss. I had to do the same to a 16-year calico a short while ago.

Pets become our great friends, always looking to us for hope and kindness, and giving in return comradeship and incessant loyalty and a great amount of laughter.

God bless that little one who has moved on ahead.

:(  :(

I hope that anyone on this board who jokes about hurting cats and posting avatars with pictures of a gun to a kittens head with the words "DIE" across the top will think twice about how their actions affect others.  It is not funny at all and very immature.  Lets hope this does not happen to any of their pets because it is an awful feeling to have to put a pet to sleep from illness and watch their pet deteriorate.  Thanks for listening :D

442991[/snapback]

Sorry about your cat. I love cats, as well as dogs. They're awesome animals in a ton of ways.

No need, however, to take what a poster jokes about as a personal affront. I joke about all kinds of things, and tear down fellow Bills fans and cats and republicans and virtually everything is fair game as a joke. A picture of a gun to a kitten's head happens to be funny, precisely because of the fact that you know it is not going to happen. It's your issue if you're going to take that kind of joke to heart, and not the posters.

Hope you get a new cat and he or she is as cool as your old one. But perhaps wait a while. It's not like you have to do it right away. It's not like someone put a gun to your head or anything.

I'm so sorry to hear that.

Our cat Doggie (see pic) has been sick recently, but is feeling better. He will be 17 in November. He wasn't supposed to live out the week when my wife got him...in 1989.

He had dystemper before my wife got him and survived cancer 2 1/2 years ago.

Mike

I had to put a pet down for the first time at the end of 2003. My wife had him when we met, and he hung around another 14 years. Finally the years got the better of him. I know what you're going through and it's tough. My condolences. :(

As far as the dark humor aspects of your post, I'd take K-Dog's advice.

My wife and I owned a orange tiger cat that we adopted from an animal shelter 4 years ago as a kitten.  He was cute as a button....7 toes on each front foot...he looked like he had mittens on his front paws when he was a kitten...he was such a little knucklehead getting into everything and keeping us busy.....we loved him very much....He was an indoor cat who greeted us everytime we came home and always exposed his belly for a bellyrub when we walked in the door.

About a week ago he started getting really sick....the vet diagnosed him with liver problems and we dropped 500.00 to treat him....fluids...special food...pills...vet visits.  He was not responding and not eating and slept all day and did not move.  I came home today from work to find him drooling and foaming at the mouth from nausea.  I rushed him to the vet and he said the skin in his ears were yellow from jaundice and it was not getting better.  We had to euthanize him and I just got home from the vet about 1 hr ago and I feel awful......my wife took it very hard. 

I hope that anyone on this board who jokes about hurting cats and posting avatars with pictures of a gun to a kittens head with the words "DIE" across the top will think twice about how their actions affect others.  It is not funny at all and very immature.  Lets hope this does not happen to any of their pets because it is an awful feeling to have to put a pet to sleep from illness and watch their pet deteriorate.  Thanks for listening :D

442991[/snapback]

That sucks...you have my condolences. I miss my cats so much (and I'm a dog guy, at heart).

I hear you re:dead cat jokes and such. Not exactly mensa humor there. But, as the K-Dog mentioned, don't take any of that personally. This is a tough time to understand that sort of humor...but, that's all it is (at least for most people).

My wife and I owned a orange tiger cat that we adopted from an animal shelter 4 years ago as a kitten.  He was cute as a button....7 toes on each front foot...he looked like he had mittens on his front paws when he was a kitten...he was such a little knucklehead getting into everything and keeping us busy.....we loved him very much....He was an indoor cat who greeted us everytime we came home and always exposed his belly for a bellyrub when we walked in the door.

About a week ago he started getting really sick....the vet diagnosed him with liver problems and we dropped 500.00 to treat him....fluids...special food...pills...vet visits.  He was not responding and not eating and slept all day and did not move.  I came home today from work to find him drooling and foaming at the mouth from nausea.  I rushed him to the vet and he said the skin in his ears were yellow from jaundice and it was not getting better.  We had to euthanize him and I just got home from the vet about 1 hr ago and I feel awful......my wife took it very hard. 

442991[/snapback]

You have my sympathies my friend. I prefer cats to dogs because they are cleaner animals. If you put in several scratching posts in your home, you'll find that they won't tear up your furniture (unlike what some people claim).

Losing a pet is almost as bad as losing a close family member. I hope you didn't have kids because they will take it alot harder. :D

That was wrong.  Funny as hell.  But wrong.  I can't believe I am actually laughing my ass off at that.  I am such a horrible person.  Someone pour a bear over my head for being such a jerky jerk.

443084[/snapback]

Pour a bear over your head? :(