TKO is the best linebacker the Bills ever had

Kelly the Dog

We have had a few excellent ones over the years, but TKO has a combination of size, speed, skills, athleticism, playmaking ability, production and star quality that IMO is unmatched, and I have been watching the Bills since the mid 60s.

He kills people, he's as good on the run or the pass, he's consistent, he has remarkable hands for INTs and picking up fumbles, he can be a terror on blitzes, he plays all downs and has the speed to be all over the field, he's good fundamentally, he's smart, he never lets up, he rarely if ever has a bad game, he rarely misses tackles or opportunities, he never misses a game, he's respected and known around the league as a stud, he scores touchdowns, he's made it to the Pro Bowl and he makes spectacular highlight reel hits and plays. And he comes across as a great guy. We really have never had that total package of consistent stellar, spectacular play.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cowart was definitely on the way to achieving that status, but alas, Tampa cut that process short (the bastards).

I'd have to give TKO a couple more years at this level before annointing him the best, but I agree that he's on track for it.

Cowart was definitely on the way to achieving that status, but alas, Tampa cut that process short (the bastards).

I'd have to give TKO a couple more years at this level before annointing him the best, but I agree that he's on track for it.

440138[/snapback]

But he already has, IMO. He was great on a crappy Bengals team. He has played exceptional since he has been with the Bills. He has been a great player since he came into the league. And who might you say was better on the Bills?

I would have to say he is approaching that level, but not there just yet - another year or two of performing at this level though should about do it in my eyes.

He is still chasing the legacy of guys like Spielman and Talley and maybe even about neck and neck with Fletcher in my estimation...

When you talk linebackers, we are blessed to have had some solid ones on this team over the years - Biscuit, Conlan, Talley, Paup, Cowart, Fletch, Spikes, Spielman, etc.

Shane Conlan

Darryl Talley

440144[/snapback]

No way for Conlan. He was great against the run and that's it. Talley was a consistently very, very good player for a long, long time but he was never a star. I really don't think those two are close, regardless of the fact I loved both of those guys as Bills. And if I had a choice of who I would want on my team, in their rookie season, in their fourth season or in their seventh season, each time, without question, I would take TKO over Conlan and Talley.

No way for Conlan. He was great against the run and that's it. Talley was a consistently very, very good player for a long, long time but he was never a star. I really don't think those two are close, regardless of the fact I loved both of those guys as Bills. And if I had a choice of who I would want on my team, in their rookie season, in their fourth season or in their seventh season, each time, without question, I would take TKO over Conlan and Talley.

440150[/snapback]

Yeah, I'd rate Talley higher if he didn't lose his jock strap vs. Mark Ingram on that 3rd down catch in the SB.

Still a fan favorite though.

I would have to say he is approaching that level, but not there just yet - another year or two of performing at this level though should about do it in my eyes.

He is still chasing the legacy of guys like Spielman and Talley and maybe even about neck and neck with Fletcher in my estimation...

When you talk linebackers, we are blessed to have had some solid ones on this team over the years - Biscuit, Conlan, Talley, Paup, Cowart, Fletch, Spikes, Spielman, etc.

440148[/snapback]

To me, the thing that makes him head and shoulders above all others is that he is great at everything. Speilman was an unbelievable player and tackler, but would you want him covering backs out of the backfield? Was he making diving interceptions? Was he scoring touchdowns? Half the plays are passes in the league. There isn't a soft spot in TKO's game. That is what separates him.

But he already has, IMO. He was great on a crappy Bengals team. He has played exceptional since he has been with the Bills. He has been a great player since he came into the league. And who might you say was better on the Bills?

440145[/snapback]

Didn't realize you were counting his years with the Bengals...to me, that's almost like saying Lofton was the best receiver the Bills ever had.

I think Talley was a great LB. I think TKO is a better LB overall, and has the skills to be the best Bills LB ever, but he's gotta do it for more than a couple of years.

We have had a few excellent ones over the years, but TKO has a combination of size, speed, skills, athleticism, playmaking ability, production and star quality that IMO is unmatched, and I have been watching the Bills since the mid 60s.

He kills people, he's as good on the run or the pass, he's consistent, he has remarkable hands for INTs and picking up fumbles, he can be a terror on blitzes, he plays all downs and has the speed to be all over the field, he's good fundamentally, he's smart, he never lets up, he rarely if ever has a bad game, he rarely misses tackles or opportunities, he never misses a game, he's respected and known around the league as a stud, he scores touchdowns, he's made it to the Pro Bowl and he makes spectacular highlight reel hits and plays. And he comes across as a great guy. We really have never had that total package of consistent stellar, spectacular play.

440133[/snapback]

Be careful not to sell Talley short. I agree that TKO is great, but it's easy to forget how good other players were. Some become mythological like Kelly, thurman and Smith others because you don't hear there names that often, become forgotten. Talley is my fav player of ALL time.

Jeff

440145[/snapback]

He Was with Cinny for about 4 or 5 years be fore he came to the Bills. Hes his

States:

Year Team Games Total Tckl Ast Sacks Int Yds Avg Lg TD Pass Def

1998 Cincinnati Bengals 16 114 97.0 17 2 0 0 0.0 0 0 2

1999 Cincinnati Bengals 16 106 83.0 23 3 2 7 3.5 7 0 4

2000 Cincinnati Bengals 16 128 109.0 19 2 2 12 6.0 7 0 2

2001 Cincinnati Bengals 15 109 80.0 29 6 1 66 66.0 66 1 4

2002 Cincinnati Bengals 16 112 80.0 32 1.5 0 0 0.0 0 0 1

2003 Buffalo Bills 16 126 70.0 56 2 2 1 0.5 1 0 6

2004 Buffalo Bills 16 96 61.0 35 3 5 122 24.4 62 2 11

TOTAL 112 796 583.0 213 20.5 12 208 17.3 66 3 30

Not Bad A

Be careful not to sell Talley short. I agree that TKO is great, but it's easy to forget how good other players were. Some become mythological like Kelly, thurman and Smith others because you don't hear there names that often, become forgotten. Talley is my fav player of ALL time.

Jeff

440179[/snapback]

Talley, again, was an excellent player and emotional leader of the team. I forgot to add that to TKO's list of attributes, too, and it shouldn't be underestimated. But Talley wasn't even the best linebacker on the team in the SB years, Bennett was. Talley was a little more consistent than Biscuit but Bennett was a better player, playmaker, and did everything. Talley was very dependable and highly underrated but he really was never a star.

Yeah..but Eddie Robinson was like having a coach on the field!

440177[/snapback]

Do you mean that he had the speed,reaction time and overall physical skills of an overweight 55 year old that is one Krispy Kreme away from a heart attack? I'd buy that.