(OT) Advice on trees/bushes for a property divide

PIZ

Our house and the house next to us share the lot between us. The house next door is a rental and the renters seem to think they have rights to all the land in-between us. The owner of the rental property knows it a a split lot, but I'd like to plant some trees or bushes that would show where the property is divided and also to provide some added privacy. I need something that will be a little tall, but not grow too tall, as the land our house sits on is about 5 feet higher than the neighbors. Does anyone here have any ideas as to the type of trees/bushes to look for or the type to stay away from? Who would I call for this type of thing? A nursery?

Our house and the house next to us share the lot between us.  The house next door is a rental and the renters seem to think they have rights to all the land in-between us.  The owner of the rental property knows it a a split lot, but I'd like to plant some trees or bushes that would show where the property is divided and also to provide some added privacy.  I need something that will be a little tall, but not grow too tall, as the land our house sits on is about 5 feet higher than the neighbors.  Does anyone here have any ideas as to the type of trees/bushes to look for or the type to stay away from?  Who would I call for this type of thing?  A nursery?

30928[/snapback]

Call a number of them. Cost, types amenable to your climate and soil, growth rate and care, iundesirable aspects are some factors. Go to a Lowe's or HD and look for books about the subject first.

Some nurseries, as the season ends, might like to dump some junk off onto you. Also, never buy from folks that drive by and tell you that they're "in the business" and happen to have some you might like at a very good price - items "left over" for a large landscaping project. Scam.

I am not knocking anybody here who rents....I did it for years....

But I have to say in your case that you have neighbors who appear to be in the "budge an inch take a mile philosophy" they are taking over property that is rightfully yours because you have not said anything in the past about it....

I have had neighbors like that in the past.....I wanted to plant a flower bed to create an edge to my property and make it look nicer...they bitched about it....I called their land lord who didn't want to get involved as long as people were not getting shot at his rental it seems.....

So I went down to city hall....found out just where my property lines were and as it turns out my property line went MUCH further then I originally wanted to go...right into what they definately considered their yard.....I made a copy of it....gave it to the tenets and landlord....put up a solid 6' fence exactly where i entended to...and biult my flower bed....

Not a peep from anybody either....who probably considered themselves lucky I didn't take even more space.......

I have cool neighbors next to me currently......(different house) once again my property line cuts into them....but they are cool and so we worked it out....we spit the cost for a good quality fence between us and they have been nice enough to put up with contractors going back and forth between us to work on my back yard........

In order to know exactly where the prop. line is you need a survey done. It is well worth the money. Cost depends on area and availability of a surveyor. I work in the business and an average size city lot goes for around $600 in my area(WNY - Southern Tier).

John,

I've been thinking about going to City Hall.  Doesn't someone have to come and do a survey?  What does that cost?

31160[/snapback]

I do not remember what it cost but when we had our property lines surveyed we also had them put in metal spikes, not just wooden stakes with red flags. You can pound them into the ground and find them years later with a metal detector.

I do not know where you live. I would consider evergreens for a year round barrier (like an arborvitae in the northeast), and see if there any places where you can dig your own, and transplant them. That can save you $20-$30 per tree or more depending on the size. Do NOT crowd them, and keep the row trimmed. They will grow 25ft tall or more if you do not keep them topped at 8-12 feet high. Great natural fence.

Good luck.

Poplar trees grow quickly, and they're straight and relatively tall. They have a nice look to them, IMO. However, their lifespan is relatively short. But presumably, by that point, your problem would have gone away.

I do not remember what it cost but when we had our property lines surveyed we also had them put in metal spikes, not just wooden stakes with red flags. You can pound them into the ground and find them years later with a metal detector.

I do not know where you live. I would consider evergreens for a year round barrier (like an arborvitae in the northeast), and see if there any places where you can dig your own, and transplant them. That can save you $20-$30 per tree or more depending on the size. Do NOT crowd them, and keep the row trimmed. They will grow 25ft tall or more if you do not keep them topped at 8-12 feet high. Great natural fence.

Good luck.

31194[/snapback]

I hope this helps. Arbrovitae (sp?) work great - they are green all year long. You can trim them like a hedge and theylook great. We have renters on one side of our property (nothing against them, but the landlord does not keep up the property) and I planted 10 of these this spring along the property line. I would get the survey of the property first too so there is no problems later on.

I hope this helps.  Arbrovitae (sp?) work great - they are green all year long.  You can trim them like a hedge and theylook great.  We have renters on one side of our property (nothing against them, but the landlord does not keep up the property) and I planted 10 of these this spring along the property line.    I would get the survey of the property first too so there is no problems later on.

31244[/snapback]

Yeah, that sounds like a plan. Do you plant the trees right on the property line or should you leave a space?

Is this the tree? I didn't know you could order trees online.

Yeah, that sounds like a plan.  Do you plant the trees right on the property line or should you leave a space? 

Is this the tree?  I didn't know you could order trees online.

31247[/snapback]

Yes, this is the one. The description on the link you listed tells it all- "This evergreen tree prefers a deep well drained site. When established it can stand considerable heat and drought. It is one of the most popular of all trees for windbreaks and year around privacy screening. It may be sheared and shaped to fit into most every landscaping need."

I am not sure about where to plant them on the property line. The surveyor or someone from local residential zoning could answer this question.

I planted the trees on my side of an existing fence. This is how I went. Hope this helps. Good luck!!