Tampa Bay is the perfect team

1billsfan

I think it will be a hard but winable, tough faught game. We'll get two questions answered right off the bat:

Can they win a road game?

Can they win a week after getting their heads swelled by all the media props and pats on the back?

It's so hard to gauge how good or bad teams are this early. Remember how we creamed the Pats a couple of years ago then fell off a cliff? Cautious optimism baby, cautious optimism.

TB won this week. but how is their team. i didnt get to watch the game, cus i was watching a more important game. hows their run D? hows their passing D? O-Line? RB? QB????

437253[/snapback]

I only saw highlights of the game but this you can't deny them, they're a team coming home after taking down their biggest rival at their house. The team and their fans will be stoked to say the least.

BTW, their defense held Minny to two field goals and Cadillac runs like the wind. I even think we might end up being the underdogs in the betting lines.

TB is a defense to fear, rivals the Bills D. Cadillac had the stats, but most of the yards came at the end of the game when he broke one open on a short yardage siutuation when the line was stacked and he ended up taking it to the house.

TB won this week. but how is their team. i didnt get to watch the game, cus i was watching a more important game. hows their run D? hows their passing D? O-Line? RB? QB????

437253[/snapback]

Minnesota scored their only TD on defense, and their D was good last year, so they're legit on that side of the ball. Their RB and WR's aren't bad. QB and OL are question marks, but the QB gets rid of the ball very quickly in Gruden's offense, so it's going to be a lot tougher to rush the passer next week.

and he ended up taking it to the house.

437309[/snapback]

This is the key phrase. Not too many runningbacks in the NFL can take it to the house on a 71 yard run, this kid did. So I wouldn't feel so comfortable downgrading his big stats. The Bills will have their hands full with Cadillac.

This is the key phrase. Not too many runningbacks in the NFL can take it to the house on a 71 yard run, this kid did. So I wouldn't feel so comfortable downgrading his big stats. The Bills will have their hands full with Cadillac.

437347[/snapback]

Well I never said it was going to be a walk in the park. That Caddies got zig, and he can be dangerous. But Im comfident that the Bills D can contain him, probably keep him under 100 yards. How Willis performs is up in the air, Id guess near 100 yards, 1 TD? JP will struggle. That backfield is great, and he won't be able to scramble as well as he did against Texas. That being said, Griese will struggle too. You better pray Lindell does whatever he did to get up for the Texans game nest week too.

Yes, the Bucs should be feared.

On defense, not a whole lot has changed since 2002 when they won the Super Bowl. I wouldn't expect JP to do much against them, but the key (like always) is to be nearly perfect in the turnover category. Lots of FG's in this game will be fine; I wouldn't go for many 4th and shorts.

On offense, Cadillac Williams gives the Bucs the running game that they have sorely lacked for so long. He, along with TE Alex Smith, will be a challenge - but a manageable one - for Milloy and our 3 LB's. Michael Clayton is good, but Clements can shut him down. I'd leave McGee to handle their faster WR, Joey Galloway, who can be doubled against with Vincent on deep routes. IMO, the best general defensive strategy against West Coast Offenses is to not blitz but instead contain and confuse with LB's. This should play well to our LB strengths. Even better if Schobel, Kelsay, and Edwards can beat their men one on one, which is very possible given the supposed crappiness of the Bucs' line.

The difference in this game could very well come down to field position and special teams returns. I know nothing about the Bucs' ST, but ours should still be better.

But in all honesty, I wouldn't be surprised to see us lose this one. Not trying to be a doom and gloomer; we should expect JP to have some rough times this season, and an NFC road game is an ideal time to get the screw-ups out of the system anyway. Then again, my football evaluation could be COMPLETELY wrong here. After all, this is coming from the same guy who once predicted Josh Reed would replace Moulds as our #1 by his 4th year :angry:

On defense, not a whole lot has changed since 2002 when they won the Super Bowl. I wouldn't expect JP to do much against them, but the key (like always) is to be nearly perfect in the turnover category. Lots of FG's in this game will be fine; I wouldn't go for many 4th and shorts.

On offense, Cadillac Williams gives the Bucs the running game that they have sorely lacked for so long. He, along with TE Alex Smith, will be a challenge - but a manageable one - for Milloy and our 3 LB's. Michael Clayton is good, but Clements can shut him down. I'd leave McGee to handle their faster WR, Joey Galloway, who can be doubled against with Vincent on deep routes. IMO, the best general defensive strategy against West Coast Offenses is to not blitz but instead contain and confuse with LB's. This should play well to our LB strengths. Even better if Schobel, Kelsay, and Edwards can beat their men one on one, which is very possible given the supposed crappiness of the Bucs' line.

The difference in this game could very well come down to field position and special teams returns. I know nothing about the Bucs' ST, but ours should still be better.

But in all honesty, I wouldn't be surprised to see us lose this one. Not trying to be a doom and gloomer; we should expect JP to have some rough times this season, and an NFC road game is an ideal time to get the screw-ups out of the system anyway. Then again, my football evaluation could be COMPLETELY wrong here. After all, this is coming from the same guy who once predicted Josh Reed would replace Moulds as our #1 by his 4th year  :angry:

437407[/snapback]

I agree w/ all that...

I'm going to be an even bigger nit -

I thought the 4th down run on the TD drive was crazy. We're dominating the game but only up 5, they just scored a TD - if we get stopped there Houston is going to be one fired up, re-energized football team.

Flame away if you wish, but I'm not a 20/20 hindsight guy. I vigorously defended MM on the late punt vs. Jax and the 4th down Henry goaline run in Oakland last year.

I was half watching the game - I was esp. watching Cadillac because I was playing him on my FF team. The Bucs were not that impressive to me - esp. in the first part of the game. Williams only had like a 2.5 yd. ave I think w/o the long run. To be honest - the Bucs got back in the game by throwing - some balls which I thought were miracles (although's Griese's TD pass rolling to his left and throwing across his body was perfect).

I am not looking past the Bucs - but I do not fear them. I think our D will make Griese look like he's tripping over his dog most of the game. I am actually contemplating sitting Williams on my FF team - I just don't see him busting out against our D - esp. with the way Minn really did keep him in check the majority of their game.

Making the trip to Tampa this weekend - will be somewhere in the club seats. Can't wait!

I agree w/ all that...

I'm going to be an even bigger nit -

I thought the 4th down run on the TD drive was crazy.  We're dominating the game but only up 5, they just scored a TD - if we get stopped there Houston is going to be one fired up, re-energized football team.

Flame away if you wish, but I'm not a 20/20 hindsight guy.  I vigorously defended MM on the late punt vs. Jax and the 4th down Henry goaline run in Oakland last year.

437416[/snapback]

No, I won't flame. I'd just rather play conservative offense against a great D in their own house. That's all.

I was half watching the game - I was esp. watching Cadillac because I was playing him on my FF team.  The Bucs were not that impressive to me - esp. in the first part of the game.  Williams only had like a 2.5 yd. ave I think w/o the long run.  To be honest - the Bucs got back in the game by throwing - some balls which I thought were miracles (although's Griese's TD pass rolling to his left and throwing across his body was perfect). 

I am not looking past the Bucs - but I do not fear them.  I think our D will make Griese look like he's tripping over his dog most of the game.  I am actually contemplating sitting Williams on my FF team - I just don't see him busting out against our D - esp. with the way Minn really did keep him in check the majority of their game.

Making the trip to Tampa this weekend - will be somewhere in the club seats.  Can't wait!

437421[/snapback]

What were your thoughts on the Bucs' D?

What were your thoughts on the Bucs' D?

437444[/snapback]

I was actually mostly watching the Bucs O when Williams was on the field. The only thing that struck me the other way was that Culpepper looked horrible when I saw him - although I guess some of that could be credited to the Bucs D.

I think it will be a hard but winable, tough faught game. We'll get two questions answered right off the bat:

Can they win a road game?

Can they win a week after getting their heads swelled by all the media props and pats on the back?

It's so hard to gauge how good or bad teams are this early. Remember how we creamed the Pats a couple of years ago then fell off a cliff? Cautious optimism baby, cautious optimism.

437245[/snapback]

Couldn't agree more. It will be intereseting to see how this team does against a gritty Bucs team. If we played like we did yesterday with our defense the way its been, we'll have a very good chance.

But in all honesty, I wouldn't be surprised to see us lose this one. Not trying to be a doom and gloomer; we should expect JP to have some rough times this season, and an NFC road game is an ideal time to get the screw-ups out of the system anyway. Then again, my football evaluation could be COMPLETELY wrong here. After all, this is coming from the same guy who once predicted Josh Reed would replace Moulds as our #1 by his 4th year  :doh:

437407[/snapback]

My guess is also that ST performance will tell the tale.

Normally, I think the Bills D will set the tone and be the key for the game, but I expect TB if Cadillac can produce again and he will certainly give Griese some room simply from the threat he provides to about hold their own against the Bills D. I think folks who want to discard Caddy's results need to look at the flow of WM's performance this week. The plan is for these high quality runners to pound away earlier in the game and the expectation from the coaches is that they will have lousy initial yardage (as was the case with both players).

However, this initial unrelenting pounding is seen by both teams as a prelude to production toward the end of the game. Both players did this as well with WM getting over 100 and Cadillac producing a big run. I prefer WM's output but folks strike me as wrong to try to discount Caddy because most of his yards came on one run. He is a rook so his production is not as certain as WM's, but given the variation in production that game injuries cause neither should be assumed he will do the same thing or that he can be stopped.

The key to me is whether the Bills or TB use the time it takes for the running game to get on track to produce in the other facets of the game and build a lead.

Likewise when the Bills have the O initiative, JP has certainly raised our confidence level, but likewise I expect this first year starter to hold his own at best against a quality TB defense.

Thus, I look to the Bills ST to make this game for us. If the kick coverage is as good as it was last year and yesterday, the return game puts some points on the board as it did frequently last year and Lindell proves to be the Lindell that showed up yesterday on PK work then this one may actually be a laugher for us even on the road. At least I hope so.

Tanpa beat a very average team yesterday. The loss of Moss is more than the folks in Minesota would like to admit and they will have a tough time reaching .500.

Im always glad when a team wins before we play them. They wont be hearing it all week in practice on how poorly they played the week before from their fans and local media.

Tanpa beat a very average team yesterday. The loss of Moss is more than the folks in Minesota would like to admit and they will have a tough time reaching .500.

Im always glad when a team wins before we play them. They wont be hearing it all week in practice on how poorly they played the week before from their fans and local media.

437511[/snapback]

Minnesota and Miami frequently start the season very strong only to end it with a whimper. Considering that, Minnesota's loss in the first game certainly points to a disastrous season for them. Also may confirm that it is an average team at best. having said that, a road game against a tough defense will be an early challenge for JP and the offense. I hope we keep the penalties down in a noisy stadium, play mistake free offense and great D + ST. I don't expect a very productive O performance.