Questions Answered

Mikie2times

How will the Bills offensive line hold up? It appears that the left side is going to be just fine, both Benny and Gandy had a very good games. The right side was also strong, and Preston showed he could give us some depth at C and G. The pass blocking was the best we have seen in years, and with JP's added mobility I don't expect this team to give up many sacks this year.

How Will the Bills defense hold up without Pat Williams? The Bills have a hyped defense; a defense that many predicted would be outstanding this year. In this game they took it a step further, pure domination. If this unit plays like this all year they will be remembered in the class of the Ravens, 70's Steelers, and 85 Bears.

Will JP be able to manage the game? Not only will he be able to manage the game but he will become an asset as the season progresses. He played very well with a few poor decisions, but overall it was an outstanding debut. He showed great leadership and enthusiasm, and it really looks like this is his team. But the mobility difference as compared to Bledsoe really stands out. On 4 or 5 plays he turned sacks into gains, and should be good for around 35 yards on the ground a week. As his decision making improves watch out, he really does have all the tools.

Was a nice start to the season ... but it was the Texans still.

Defense played well and offense played well enough to win.

Few points that could stand to be better:

3-14 in 3rd downs

5.9 yards a pass ... could be better

McGahee has a solid game ... but no other RB added much

8 people caught a ball .. but only TD was to Peters .. that could be improved

Good news:

Lindell 5 FG's ... and all looked well kicked.

Moorman solid as always

defense and the 100 yards given up .. excellent

Win the turnovers 5-0

Don't get too excited it was only the first game.  The same people who are all excited now are the same people who will say the bills are doomed when they lose their first game.

436606[/snapback]

Some of us enjoy the moment.

Other's apparently don't know how.

I didn't think it'd be so quick before someone said "Yeah, but it was the Texans." :doh:;):doh:

Some of us enjoy the moment.

Other's apparently don't know how.

I didn't think it'd be so quick before someone said "Yeah, but it was the Texans." :doh:  ;)  :doh:

436609[/snapback]

Agreed. We don't need people telling us it's only the first game. No stevestojan! Really?! :doh:

With 9/11, Katrina, Iraq, etc... in the back of everybody's minds today, it's ok to be overly positive an hour after our team wins. We have all week to fairly critique the game.

BTW, the Texans may not be the Patriots, but they're not exactly the Browns either. They have a strong defense and a pretty decent trio (Carr, Davis, Johnson). We played a respectable opponent, and we played them well.

It was "just" the Texans (although it was "just" the Jaguars last year), and our OL looked shaky in the first half. But JPL looked pretty good for the most part (much better than I expected -- especially given a much more agressive game plan than I was expecting), they didn't give up on the run (even though it was terrible in the first half), and the defense never relented. The Texans' only TD came with lots of penalties to the defense.

Overall -- should be a fun season :doh:

CW

Don't get too excited it was only the first game.  The same people who are all excited now are the same people who will say the bills are doomed when they lose their first game.

436606[/snapback]

Next week is going to be one tough game. I had to watch the damn Vikes/ Bucs game as it was the only one on here. Cadillac will be a force to be reckoned with and the defense looked good. Griese settled in after throwing two pics (one for score) and threw two TDs to the rookie Clayton.

EDIT - I meant Smith, not Clayton.

Next week is by no means a gimme folks.

436606[/snapback]

Not like I forgot the Patriots opener, it was just one game. But the Texans, as horrible as they looked, will probably be around .500 at the end of the year. We dominated every faucet of the game, and despite it being only one game I think many of the teams biggest question marks went in our favor.

The line played great, and Willis and the defense wore down the Texans. The defensive line had great pressure on the QB all game (Kelsey looked like a monster). The secondary was unrelenting, and the LB group showed why it's the best in the league. We need to improve in some areas but I don't see us not improving. That’s what’s great about having youth. Next week will be a difficult challenge, JP's first road game against an underrated Bucs squad.

How will the Bills offensive line hold up? It appears that the left side is going to be just fine, both Benny and Gandy had a very good games. The right side was also strong, and Preston showed he could give us some depth at C and G.  The pass blocking was the best we have seen in years, and with JP's added mobility I don't expect this team to give up many sacks this year.

How Will the Bills defense hold up without Pat Williams? The Bills have a hyped defense; a defense that many predicted would be outstanding this year. In this game they took it a step further, pure domination. If this unit plays like this all year they will be remembered in the class of the Ravens, 70's Steelers, and 85 Bears.

Will JP be able to manage the game?  Not only will he be able to manage the game but he will become an asset as the season progresses.  He played very well with a few poor decisions, but overall it was an outstanding debut. He showed great leadership and enthusiasm, and it really looks like this is his team.  But the mobility difference as compared to Bledsoe really stands out. On 4 or 5 plays he turned sacks into gains, and should be good for around 35 yards on the ground a week. As his decision making improves watch out, he really does have all the tools.

436542[/snapback]

The line couldn't run block for crap in the first half. Willis had like 10 yards rushing. But they turned it around in the second half. They only allowed 1 sack the whole game which was above expectations and JP didn't make any mistakes. He doesn't need to lead this team for us to win.

The line couldn't run block for crap in the first half.  Willis had like 10 yards rushing.  But they turned it around in the second half.  They only allowed 1 sack the whole game which was above expectations and JP didn't make any mistakes.  He doesn't need to lead this team for us to win.

436694[/snapback]

You seem correct in your read of the running performance but one better hunker down because this is the plan all along.

MM has described a plan where the Bills may well get smoked a lot in the run game for as much as 3/4 of the game, but the plan is to wear down the opponents and have WM end up with over 100 yards for the game.

Looks like things went according to plan as far as how things are supposed to work for this team.

Texans had 12 drive starts and on only 2 do they gain more than 15 yards net.

Safetys 3 INT's

Sacks 5

Chris Kelsay is going to be a star....

Willis--money with going over 100

JP--we saw a little bit more of the playbook today...there are a lot of tricks that Mularkey/Clements and Wyche are going to use.

Mike Gandy--our Wal-Mart priced left tackle is pretty damn good....

We have one more win than the whole month of September last year....

The line couldn't run block for crap in the first half.  Willis had like 10 yards rushing.  But they turned it around in the second half.  They only allowed 1 sack the whole game which was above expectations and JP didn't make any mistakes.  He doesn't need to lead this team for us to win.

436694[/snapback]

I agree that the line didn’t look good early, but I think that had a lot do to with the Texans stacking the box. This line is not going to simply over power defenses, few lines can. The Bills exploited the Texans defensive scheme in the 1st quarter. JP started out 9 of 10 and was over 100 yards. Shortly after the first the ground game really started to get going. Throw in the defense keeping the Texans offense off the field and the Texans D just wore out.

This strategy will be this years blue print for success. The defense will likely continue to keep offenses off the field, giving us TOP and boosting the ground attack. If JP keeps teams from stacking the box our ground game will be very effective.

What I liked the most is I just don’t see us giving up many sacks this year. JP's mobility really helps, but even without that he had 7 or 8 seconds on more then one occasion. As Brent Jones said we haven't seen pass blocking in Buffalo this good since the Kelly days. Yes it was just one game, but the progress that is being shown is excellent, and they should only continue to get better.

• 2 weeks later...
It was "just" the Texans (although it was "just" the Jaguars last year), and our OL looked shaky in the first half.  But JPL looked pretty good for the most part (much better than I expected -- especially given a much more agressive game plan than I was expecting), they didn't give up on the run (even though it was terrible in the first half), and the defense never relented.  The Texans' only TD came with lots of penalties to the defense.

Overall -- should be a fun season :devil:

CW

436629[/snapback]

so much for a fun season . i think it will still be fun , just a lot of ups and downs

so much for a fun season . i think it will still be fun , just a lot of ups and downs

456033[/snapback]

Why did ya have to dig up this craptastrophie? :devil:

Your right though, still should be an exciting year regardless of how the last two weeks played out.