How do you beat a team...

PromoTheRobot

It must be great to be a New England Patriot knowing that the refs will always give you an extra first down or save a touchdown with some horrendous flag out of nowhere. How many penalties were on Oakland in the second half? How many of them looked like total made up BS?

All Assante Samuels has to do is give 'em the "what did I do?" look and the PI flag goes on Moss.

PTR

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

are these the raiders we must fear. I had them down for one of our losses this season . After watching their defense, I may be putting that one in the win column. BTW this is no longer preseason.

The Pats look beatable and not necessarily with a perfect game.

I don't get why anyone would fear the raiders? How quick people forget a lot of moss's production was led by culpepper scrambling around in the backfield to give moss time. Yeah moss will get his yards, but make no mistake kerry collins is nowhere near the qb that culpepper is, and the raiders defense is swiss cheese. It would still be an embarssment as it was last year to lose to that team. I don't see them winning any more than 6 games.

I don't get why anyone would fear the raiders?  How quick people forget a lot of moss's production was led by culpepper scrambling around in the backfield to give moss time. Yeah moss will get his yards, but make no mistake kerry collins is nowhere near the qb that culpepper is, and the raiders defense is swiss cheese. It would still be an embarssment as it was last year to lose to that team. I don't see them winning any more than 6 games.

434543[/snapback]

My concern was just that going back to oakland and stinking the joint up again. I also thoght that they had upgraded their defense. Against the run maybe, against the pass not at all.

All Assante [sic] Samuels [sic] has to do is give 'em the "what did I do?" look and the PI flag goes on Moss.

You don't think Moss grabbing Samuel by the shirt and violently tugging him to the ground had anything to do it?

I thought the reffing sucked for both teams last night, with not nearly enough offensive holding calls on either team, and some GIFT first downs for the Raiders (i.e. the-hands-to-the-face on Vrabel)

or the amount of non calls on the patriots oline for blatant offensive holding. Brady is a good quaterback there's no denying that, but the amount of times that oline gets away with holding giving him eons to throw is just assinine

434512[/snapback]

Yeah, and that blubbering idiot Madden, sits there and shows a slow-mo of the great protection, the tackle hooks the D-end and Madden says "see how he just moves him to the outside so Brady can step up".

i thaught they called the game well. if anything, i think the raiders should have gotten a few more flags thrown at them. and they go a few gifts on fialed 3rd downs.

R. Moss pass interfierence was so obvious that i almost broke my TV when i heard madden, on the replay, say, "i dont know, looks kinda accidental". :doh:

he freakin grabed his jursey and pulled him to the ground, all while NOT trying to go for the ball. its liek moss said, to hell with the ball, im hurting his guy.

penalties killed them. its there own fault. !@#$ the raiders. how the hell do you leave WRs THAT open. come on. every WR was atleast 5 yards away from a defensive player for EVERY catch.

no real pressure on Brady. it was !@#$ing discusitng. :unsure:

i would also like to point out madden sucking bradys dick throughout the game. something happend on the play, or holding or whatever, i want to see the play. i dont want to see a slowmotion replay of bradys FEET!!. !@#$ING DISCUSTING!!!!

from now on, i will not listen to madden. bring on the mute button, and get the radio out. :doh:

It must be great to be a New England Patriot knowing that the refs will always give you an extra first down or save a touchdown with some horrendous flag out of nowhere.  How many penalties were on Oakland in the second half?  How many of them looked like total made up BS? 

All Assante Samuels has to do is give 'em the "what did I do?" look and the PI flag goes on Moss.

PTR

434507[/snapback]

I mentioned to my son last night that the Pats might just win the game with the help of the refs. It was opening night for the NFL, big splash for the network, you know that the top brass of the NFL did not want to see an upset. As soon as the Raiders just cruised down and scored the touchdown on the first series, the reffing suddenly went in the Pats favorite. I feel bad for the Raiders, they had no chance to beat the refs and the NFL desire to have pretty boy Brady and the Pats win on opening day on National TV.

It must be great to be a New England Patriot knowing that the refs will always give you an extra first down or save a touchdown with some horrendous flag out of nowhere.  How many penalties were on Oakland in the second half?  How many of them looked like total made up BS? 

PTR

434507[/snapback]

My personal favorite was Harrison trying to remove the head of a Raiders kick returner....and the Raiders getting called for holding. Then later, a Raider puts the EXACT same tackle on a NE Player....15 yard penalty. That being said, the most encouraging sign I saw was the NE Attitude. The 'we are better than you' junk that you just didn't see from the Pats the last few seasons. I think success has finally gone to the Pats heads this year, and they will miss the playoffs because of it.

This may be an unpopular view on this board, but the refs don't favor one team over another. Well, except for the "just give it to them" game. :unsure:

The referees SUCK EVERYWHERE. The problem is that the NFL refuses to hire full-time officials like every other sport. It is obvious that the quality of officiating has gone way downhill since Tagliabue was made commissioner...or when Ben Dreith retired.

All these NFL refs have other jobs other than what they do at a football game, whatever the hell that is. :doh:

Remember the crowd in Cleveland throwing bottles and other debris on the field after that replay call one play too late a few years back?

It's not just you, Buffalo. But I honestly don't think that they're giving the Pats every call. New England has proven that they're a damn good football team. They don't need the help of the refs.

Mike

My personal favorite was Harrison trying to remove the head of a Raiders kick returner....and the Raiders getting called for holding.  Then later, a Raider puts the EXACT same tackle on a NE Player....15 yard penalty.  That being said, the most encouraging sign I saw was the NE Attitude.  The 'we are better than you' junk that you just didn't see from the Pats the last few seasons.  I think success has finally gone to the Pats heads this year, and they will miss the playoffs because of it.

434633[/snapback]

i forgot about that. COMPLETLY TRUE.

the ref said, "forarm to the head, when the player was on the ground". but the WR JSUT caught the ball, and was simply tackled by the defender.

harrison's ST tackle was INSAIN. i expect a fine.

This may be an unpopular view on this board, but the refs don't favor one team over another.  Well, except for the "just give it to them" game.  :unsure:

The referees SUCK EVERYWHERE.  The problem is that the NFL refuses to hire full-time officials like every other sport.  It is obvious that the quality of officiating has gone way downhill since Tagliabue was made commissioner...or when Ben Dreith retired.

All these NFL refs have other jobs other than what they do at a football game, whatever the hell that is.  :doh:

Remember the crowd in Cleveland throwing bottles and other debris on the field after that replay call one play too late a few years back?

It's not just you, Buffalo.  But I honestly don't think that they're giving the Pats every call.  New England has proven that they're a damn good football team.  They don't need the help of the refs.

Mike

434643[/snapback]

Well I disagree with you. :doh:

Not really, of course. I don't think there's a conspiracy or anything to just give it to the Patriots. I DO think that refs are conditioned to expect and watch for certain things, like the Raiders committing a lot of stupid and dirty penalties (as has been their wont for 40 years), and like the defending SB champions, whoever they are, playing a good, sound fundamental game. So they see EVERYTHING the Raiders do because they're looking for it. They miss things the Pats do because they're not looking for it.

It's human nature, and it's also incompetence. What it isn't is a conspiracy.

I wasn't playing close enough attention to comment on the officiating in general, but I did notice a blatant hold on Dillion's 1st TD which directly affected the play. Kinda reminded me of one of McNabb's 3rd down scrambles against us a few years ago when Schobel was tackled right in front of the play. I don't understand how they miss those obvious calls on the edge, and yet they call phantom holds on 2 yard FB dive plays off guard in the midst of 8 300+ pound bodies where nobody can realistically see a damn thing.

Looked to me like some of the raiders, moss in particular, gave up.  They went through the motions, but they never believed they were going to win. 

Refs or no, they were a beaten team.

434518[/snapback]

I agree, it had nothing to do with the refs. Moss is simply pathetic to watch sometimes. The play where he drew the offensive interference call in the endzone was a pathetic effort against a small CB. He basically didn't even try.

Moss is sickening to watch sometimes.

I thought the raiders played really sloppy football, and they lost the game. The patsies did just enough to score more points.

I don't know how many times the raiders held the patsies on 3rd down just to give up the first on a stupid penalty. I thought the refs called a pretty good game.

You don't think Moss grabbing Samuel by the shirt and violently tugging him to the ground had anything to do it?

434568[/snapback]

You've officially lost all credibility as a Pats fan who sees things objectively from time to time. Take another look at that play. Samuels arm came down on Moss first, and long before the ball got there. That was a blatant pass interference and even you should be able to admit that.

I thought the reffing sucked for both teams last night, with not nearly enough offensive holding calls on either team, and some GIFT first downs for the Raiders (i.e. the-hands-to-the-face on Vrabel)

434568[/snapback]

equally bad was the 3rd quarter phantom facemask personal foul call on charles woodson (although derrick gibson was assessed the penalty).