Watching Food Network Last Night

NJ_BillsFan

I was watching that weird guy on the food network last night. The show was the Secret Life of The Sandwich. I live in Northern NJ and we call it a sub. I know people in southern Jersey call it a hoagie. They had a 3 min geography lesson on the names throughout the US.

Supposedly, citizens from Buffalo call a sandwich a "Bomber"?? Is that true?

What does everyone else call a sandwich? I call it a sub.

I was watching that weird guy on the food network last night.  The show was the Secret Life of The Sandwich.  I live in Northern NJ and we call it a sub.  I know people in southern Jersey call it a hoagie.  They had a 3 min geography lesson on the names throughout the US. 

Supposedly, citizens from Buffalo call a sandwich a "Bomber"??  Is that true?

What does everyone else call a sandwich?  I call it a sub.

433150[/snapback]

It's a sub. I've NEVER heard someone in WNY say "Man, I want a chicken finger bomber."

Food Network is sweet (Especially "Good Eats" which actually teaches normal people how to cook a few things) and "Everyday Italian" because Giada De Laurentiis may be one of the best looking women on TV.

But in this case, they're just making sh-- up.

433150[/snapback]

The word sandwich that we use today was born in London during the very late hours one night in 1762 when an English nobleman, John Montagu, the Fourth Earl of Sandwich (1718-1792), was too busy gambling to stop for a meal even though he was hungry for some food. The legend goes that he ordered a waiter to bring him roast-beef between two slices of bread. The Earl was able to continue his gambling while eating his snack; and from that incident, we have inherited that quick-food product that we now know as the sandwich. He apparently had the meat put on slices of bread so he wouldn’t get his fingers greasy while he was playing cards. In 1770, The Fourth Earl of Sandwich was drafted by the Cincinnati Bengals, putting Kelly Holcomb of the Cleveland Browns on the bench.

The word sandwich that we use today was born in London during the very late hours one night in 1762 when an English nobleman, John Montagu, the Fourth Earl of Sandwich (1718-1792), was too busy gambling to stop for a meal even though he was hungry for some food. The legend goes that he ordered a waiter to bring him roast-beef between two slices of bread. The Earl was able to continue his gambling while eating his snack; and from that incident, we have inherited that quick-food product that we now know as the sandwich. He apparently had the meat put on slices of bread so he wouldn’t get his fingers greasy while he was playing cards. In 1770, The Fourth Earl of Sandwich was drafted by the Cincinnati Bengals, putting Kelly Holcomb of the Cleveland Browns on the bench.

433280[/snapback]

And at age 52, The Fourth Earl posted a II and XII record. He was much villified.

It's a sub. I've NEVER heard someone in WNY say "Man, I want a chicken finger bomber."

Food Network is sweet (Especially "Good Eats" which actually teaches normal people how to cook a few things) and "Everyday Italian" because Giada De Laurentiis may be one of the best looking women on TV.

433164[/snapback]

It was funny because there was a map and it went straight to Buffalo, NY. The guy said, "Ask for a sub here and they will go 'what's a sub? You mean a bomber?' " I was laughing so hard. I was like who the hell would call a sandwich a bomber?

433164[/snapback]

If I am not mistaken, the local chain John & Mary's has a sandwich called the "A-bomb", but everybody else calls them subs.

If I am not mistaken, the local chain John & Mary's has a sandwich called the "A-bomb", but everybody else calls them subs.

433307[/snapback]

and like someone above said, in Fredonia, there's a place called the "Bomber House". I've been there several times (even though they can't touch the chicken finger sub from PWT) and every time i ordered a "Sub".

I was watching that weird guy on the food network last night.  The show was the Secret Life of The Sandwich.  I live in Northern NJ and we call it a sub.  I know people in southern Jersey call it a hoagie.  They had a 3 min geography lesson on the names throughout the US. 

433150[/snapback]

I'm from North Buffalo and the best shop around is "Mike's Subs" and as a result I call them subs.

433150[/snapback]

Nobody in WNY calls them bombers except for my old elementary school lunch lady. The sandwich resembling a sub was always called bombers on our old school lunch calander.

433280[/snapback]

Butler: [ waiting at the door for guests to arrive ] Lord and Lady Wilkinson!

Lord Worcestershire: A marvelous entertainment, Salisbury! These chopped steaks are terrific, especially with this delicious mushroom sauce.

Lord Salisbury: Thank you, Coming from you, Worcestershire, that certainly is a compliment. [ turns to his guests ] Lord and Lady Wilkinson, welcome!

Lord Worcestershire: Tell me, Wilkinson, what the deuce is the purpose of two swords?

Lord Wilkinson: It's simple, really. Let's say you're an an attacker. My first blade straightens you upright, while the second clips you neatly at the ankles.

Lady Wilkinson: And there's Lady Wilkinson, for attacking your opponent's underarms and legs!

Butler: The Earl of Sandwich!

Nobleman: Tell me, have you seen Lord Cardigan?

Noblewoman: I understand he was turned away at the door..

Nobleman: Lord Cardigan? Why in heaven's name?

Noblewoman: He wasn't properly attired. Evidently, he came in a sweater.

Nobleman: Odd. I saw Lord Ascot, and he got in..

Butler: The Duke and Duchess of Argyll!

Lord Worcestershire: You know, Sandwich.. were the Sandwich Islands named after you?

Earl of Sandwich: Oh, no. Everyone asks me that, but I'm afraid nothing has ever been named after a member of my family.

Servant: Excuse me, your Lordship, but would you care for one of Lord Salisbury's steaks?

Earl of Sandwich: Yes, I would. Would you bring it to me with a couple slices of pumpernickel, please?

Servant: Yes. [ steps away ]

Butler: Lord and Lady Doucebag!

Lord Salisbury: Well, well, well.. I was just asking Lord Sandwich, "Where the devil are those Douchebags?"

Lady Doucebag: Well, it has been impossible to get him out of his workshop! He has been working day and night.

Lord Salisbury: You, Douchebag? Well, I wasn't aware you dabbled in that sort of thing. What in heaven's name are you working on?

Lord Doucebag: Well, I would be happy to tell you.. but perhaps after you have finished eating.

Lord Salisbury: Well, here is Chambers right now. Would you like something to eat?

Lord Doucebag: We're not too hungry right now - just a plate of raw vegetables.

Lord Salisbury: Would you like some dresing with that?

Lady Doucebag: Just some vinegar and water, thank you.

Earl of Sandwich: Douchebag, how are you? I haven't seen you in the House of Lords in ages! Don't tell me for the first time in memory we are going to have a House of Parliament without a Douchebag?

Lord Doucebag: My dear Sandwich, Parliament has always had its share of Douchebags, and it always will.

Lord Salisbury: Spoken like a true Douchebag. I have often heard the King speak of your family.. [ to Earl of Sandwich ] ..and of yours, as well: "Give me a Sandwich and a Douchebag, and there is nothing I cannot do."

Earl of Sandwich: Hear, hear!

Lord Salisbury: So, tell me, Douchebag.. when are you going to show us that invention of yours?

Earl of Sandwich: Yes, Douchebag, just what kind of an invention are you sitting on?

Lord Doucebag: Well, it's a long story. Why don't we go out to the garden, and I'll explain it to you.

Earl of Sandwich: Tell me - did Lady Douchebag help you in the project?

Lord Doucebag: Help? Why.. she was the inspiration!

[ they exit to the garden to discuss the wondrous invention ]

Butler: Lord Compost Heap and Lady Disinfectant Cake!

[ fade ]

I've heard it called a bomber a few times, but I don't think its common by any means. I know down in fredonia there was a sub place called the bomber house.

433205[/snapback]

I was going to mention the Bomber House. :blink: The Bomber House, lol