ANyone ever eat an MRE?

taterhill

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spaghetti in meat sauce is good too. Especially with the cheese and tabasco mixed in..... <_<

430906[/snapback]

Gotta have the tobasco. I think the Beef Terryaki comes with powdered chili and it's pretty good too.

Everyone hates the vegie crackers, but I think they're pretty good.

When I was in the Marine Corps from 94-98, we pronounced MRE as "Mr. E".

My battalion managed to acquire the oldest MREs in existence; the M&M packets featured promotional artwork from the 1988 Olympics and the chocolate in the M&Ms and Mars bars had degraded into cocoa powder by the time we got to them. We looked forward to training at Army installations because we knew we'd be getting more modern i.e. better tasting MREs there. It was also fun to discover how many varieties that we'd been eating hadn't been manufactured for many years; the Army personnel we talked to hadn't heard of several of them.

The cheese spread seemed funky the first time I ate it, but you start to crave it after awhile.

Eating MREs for every meal leads to severe constipation; they should have included Preparation-H.

Eating MREs for every meal leads to severe constipation; they should have included Preparation-H.

430918[/snapback]

The tabasco helped with that.

I remember my MRE days fondly.

When it's cold and rainy and you're sitting on a guard point overnight, nothing warms the body and soul quite like an MRE.

The tabasco helped with that.

I remember my MRE days fondly.

When it's cold and rainy and you're sitting on a guard point overnight, nothing warms the body and soul quite like an MRE.

430957[/snapback]

C-rats for me. I got out because I couldn't handle the taste of MRE's.

Just kidding of course but c-rats were a lot better then MRE's just heavy to carry around if you had to carry your own.

Good:

Beef with Mushrooms

Bean Burrito

Country Captain Chicken

Pasta in Alfredo

Chili Mac

Bad:

Pasta with Vegetables

Beef Stew

Beef Patty

Pork Chop

430863[/snapback]

It's been a while since I've had one, but do they still have the Chicken A-la-King(blah!!)

Good man.

I trust Iraq has proven hospitable.

:w00t:

God bless ya.

Do they still make the hot dogs?

430908[/snapback]

Iraq hasn't been too bad so far. We get shelled with mortars a lot and I've taken small arms fire once but other than that not bad. I don't think they have the hot dogs anymore. If they do I haven't seen them. They were pretty good... <_<

Ahh, the Chicken A-La-King. I used to always try to get the MRE's that had the cheese spread. I served in the US Army from 91-99, so the one's that were big during my tenure were:

Chicken A-La-King

Chicken w/Rice

Pork w/rice in BBQ sauce

spaghetti w/meat sauce

Beef Stew

Every so often you'd catch one with a bag of M&M's in them...

Best part about MREs is the chemical that is used to heat the meal. Take the packet and dump some (or most) of the chemical into an empty 2-liter bottle. Put a 1/4 cup of water in, screw on the lid ... and run. Fun times.

Best part about MREs is the chemical that is used to heat the meal.  Take the packet and dump some (or most) of the chemical into an empty 2-liter bottle.  Put a 1/4 cup of water in, screw on the lid ... and run.  Fun times.

431067[/snapback]

The water initiates an exothermic (heat-generating) reaction typically between a stabilized elemental magnesium and an easily-available anion. I think the anion is chlorine coming from wetted, slightly acidic NaCl.

I'm an ex (as in extinct <_< ) chemist. Elemental Mg and assorted Mg salts were one of the staples of we college student's homegrown wisea$$ explosives. :w00t: