Roberts for Chief Justice?

blzrul

So a guy has two years on the bench and isn't even confirmed for the Supreme Court yet, but he's qualified to be Chief Justice?

I suppose that anyone who questions this will be called a sympathizer of hurricanes...we must all pull together at this time of trial...

Give me a fewking break.

Oh well, I suppose Roberts is just as qualified as the rest of the inept morons in the current administration.

And most importantly, it seems, he has GREAT hair.

What a stupid country this is. I would almost believe that Katrina WAS sent by God to smite us, except the people who got smitten are the ones who least deserve it.

you've got it all wrong. Katrina was sent by Allah. Plus, bush gets to nominate a moderate to replace moderate SDO'C with conservative roberts replacing conservative WR. Now, i must focus my efforts on saving the infadel refugee welfare state by making my monetary pledge to deon sanders.

And most importantly, it seems, he has GREAT hair.

429647[/snapback]

Don't you already know that 90 percent of everything is just showing up with your shoes tied and having great hair? <_<;)

I agree that it does seem to be a little backhanded to have a CJ who is relatively new to the scene rather than a justice who has served on the court for a while. If SDO had stayed on, I think she might have been nominated, but I'm not complaining that Scalia or Thomas weren't or were much less of an option b/c of their divisiveness. I would take Roberts over them; he seems to be more composed and similar in his nature and personality to WR.

But with the new spot to be filled, look for a more hardcore "conservative" nomination since Pres. Bush already picked his "moderate." He's shown in many of his decisions and nominations that he's not afraid to engage and (unwittingly?) fuel the partisan fights.

As some of you know, I am one of the most left-leaning voices here at PPP and I am a lawyer. Yet I support Roberts as Cheif Justice.

First, it is traditional to appoint a newly appointed justice to cheif Justice. So appointing Roberts is not unusual. This is beacuse the Cheif Justice plays the role of facilitator. The idea is that justices who have been on the Court for many years have entrenched themselves into "camps" and would be less likely to broker compromises and cooperation (i.e. Scalia).

Also, Robert's legal skill is undisputed. I have confidence in his legal ability. The way I see it Bush is going to appoint judges who lean way to the right. Roberts is about as rational as we are going to get. I am sure we will get a Scalia clone with the next appointment (if Bush has not lost too much political capital after Iraq and the New Orleans Debacle).

So, all in all Roberts is about as good as we will get.

As some of you know, I am one of the most left-leaning voices here at PPP and I am a lawyer. Yet I support Roberts as Cheif Justice.

First, it is traditional to appoint a newly appointed justice to cheif Justice. So appointing Roberts is not unusual. This is beacuse the Cheif Justice plays the role of facilitator. The idea is that justices who have been on the Court for many years have entrenched themselves into "camps" and would be less likely to broker compromises and cooperation (i.e. Scalia).

429776[/snapback]

Stop disrupting nozzlenut's attempt to make everything political and act like a 12 year old while attacking the President. There was a lot of insight in that "great hair" blast. <_<

Slipping into John "Captain Obvious" Madden mode: The other thing this does is it keeps SDOC on until another replacement can be found....Not to say Roberts in inappropriate for Chief (I think, from what I know, that he's a good pick), but it conveniently lets the "opening" disappear until it can be given appropriate attention.

So a guy has two years on the bench and isn't even confirmed for the Supreme Court yet, but he's qualified to be Chief Justice?

I agree. I'd rather have Thomas or Scalia.

I would almost believe that Katrina WAS sent by God to smite us, except the people who got smitten are the ones who least deserve it.

429647[/snapback]

Yeah, those poor people who took the opportunity to loot, rob, rape and murder the first chance they got are certainly the least deserving of any bad fortune! <_<;):huh:

Yeah, those poor people who took the opportunity to loot, rob, rape and murder the first chance they got are certainly the least deserving of any bad fortune!  <_<  ;)  :huh:

429940[/snapback]

To be fair, the people doing all the looting and raping had to survive the hurricane in order to have that opportunity and most will probably get away with it. The bad fortune went the way of all the old folks, disabled people, and little kids who drowned.

Of course, reading her post, you get the sense she could name a few people she believes DO deserve to die in a horrible flood.

He's just doing this so he can stop the only black member from being Chief Justice

BushBad!

But seriously, I think Thomas or Kennedy would be better choices

429924[/snapback]

For CJ?!? No way. I am with slothrop and Bush on this one.

429776[/snapback]

Do you have anything (a link would be great) that explains this?

Not that I don't believe you. I do, and I've been trying to convince a few people of this all day. A source to quote would help, but I don't think citing "slothrop on the internet" is going to help my case. :D

Not that I don't believe you.  I do, and I've been trying to convince a few people of this all day.  A source to quote would help, but I don't think citing "slothrop on the internet" is going to help my case.  :D

430244[/snapback]

I believe anything I read on the intarweb.

Not that I don't believe you.  I do, and I've been trying to convince a few people of this all day.  A source to quote would help, but I don't think citing "slothrop on the internet" is going to help my case.  :D

I understand the line of reasoning, but I would probably characterize it as common rather than traditional. One of the original associate justices was actually nominated for CJ, but was never confirmed.

To support the theory, there have been only three sitting associate justices elevated to CJ: Edward White (1910-1921), Harlan Stone (1941-1946), and William Rehnquist (1986-2005). Charles Hughes served as an associate, resigned, and was later nominated as CJ (1930-1941).

So three out of sixteen. Four if you count Charles Hughes.