7 WR's Made The Final Cut

Mark VI

Yeah, I know. The gameplan is already offensive.

Anyhow, regardless of the names, the Bills kept 7 WR's. I know Roscoe Parrish is hurt but that's still a high # of WR's. This may signal what Mularkey/Clements plan to do on offense.

I like Shelton as a blocking FB but clearly the Bills are running the ball better with a single back and 3 WR/4WR sets ( no TE ). Opposing teams have been stacking the line when Shelton is in. The student body right formation doesn't work with our OL. McGahee clearly runs better when the Bills run a spread formation, which takes the LB's and Safties off the Line of Scrimmage.

A Coach doesn't keep a high # of WR's unless he plans on using them often. . The norm is 5, if you plan on playing 2 WR's with a #3 seeing a few reps.

Looks like 3/4 WR sets could be a common site. I saw it often in practice and the final roster seems to indicate what our intentions are. Losman stayed in the pocket Friday against the Lions and that experiment failed miserably. Let him roll out and run around, since throwing on the run is something he's fairly good at. Quit trying to make him something he's not. Our fallback option, Kelly Holcomb, is hardly a downgrade.

The Offense and Defense was very vanilla this pre-season, so I'll take it one week at a time. I see some here are already quitting. :)

Shelton is a good blocker but due to the OL lacking the ability to just blow the opposition off the ball, it's better we go single back and fill the field with WR's.

The numbers seem to indicate that's what Mularkey/Clements plan to do, since there is no need for 3-4 backup WR's not seeing playing time.

Let's see what happens.

interesting analysis, mark. it makes sense, particularly since there's no "true" backup FB on the roster. we know joe burns is on the team almost exclusively b/c of ST play.

i agree with you that we'll see a lot of spread formations that will give JP many options and open running lanes for willis. opposing defenses can't "load the box" with eight defenders if the bills are showing three (or four) WR sets consistently. i like our chances w/ willis going one-on-one against just about anybody.

i hope the bills don't become a "pass first" team just because they show these formations, however. i'd really like to see something similar to how the bills ran the ball w/ thurman during the hey days of the K-gun.

i also hope they mix in a number of formations that include shelton but are pass plays. we don't want the appearance of shelton in the lineup to be an immediate trigger to the defense that a running play is coming. at this point, the bills have certainly not shown that they can "tell you what's coming" and still beat you.

as i sit typing this, it hit me that exactly one week from now i'll be tailgating at the ralph, getting ready to enjoy a new season of bills' football -- how friggin' awesome is this time of year!! screw the negative ninnies who want to bash donahoe and predict gloom and doom. whether we go 10-6 or 6-10, it's going to be a fun ride. :)

I agree with you, Mark VI. I expect that we will see many 4 and even 5 WR sets this year. It should serve to spread out the offense and take the pressure off the OL to protect against the blitz.

Like him or not, one thing that Losman has shown is the ability to get rid of the ball quickly. All he needs to do is hit on a few quick slants, and defenders will have to back off. That should open things up for the running game too.

Now, the question is: can Losman make the right reads and make the quickly? And can the WRs catch the ball? I think 4 quarters of Moulds and Evans may make a difference, know what I mean?

I agree with you, Mark VI. I expect that we will see many 4 and even 5 WR sets this year. It should serve to spread out the offense and take the pressure off the OL to protect against the blitz.

Like him or not, one thing that Losman has shown is the ability to get rid of the ball quickly. All he needs to do is hit on a few quick slants, and defenders will have to back off. That should open things up for the running game too.

Now, the question is: can Losman make the right reads and make the quickly? And can the WRs catch the ball? I think 4 quarters of Moulds and Evans may make a difference, know what I mean?

428991[/snapback]

5 wide receiver sets will be intersting to see with a new QB. But at least it will spread the field so that the entire defense isn't coming up to the line of scrimmage. I thinl it might say something about our confidence in some of these wide recievers or that our Offensive Line can't take on heavy blitzes.

428991[/snapback]

I agree. Losman is lacking in experience and is still a work in progress when it comes to reading the coverages. That was evident against the Lions.

I believe the weaknesses of the OL are lessened if Losman is allowed to roll out and hit the quick slants and out patterns. Plus spreading the field opens some lanes for McGahee on delays/draws/misdirections etc. It sure worked well with Thurman when he was here. Recently, Priest Holmes and E. James have enjoyed great success in this type of offense.

And you have proven you're the 2nd coming of Rudy.

Sing it with me, everyone!!!

Doom, despair and agony on me!

Deep, dark depression.

Excessive misery!

429015[/snapback]

if it weren't for bad luck,

i'd have no luck at all,

doom, despair, and agony on me!

Opposing teams have been stacking the line when Shelton is in. The student body right formation doesn't work with our OL. McGahee clearly runs better when the Bills run a spread formation, which takes the LB's and Safties off the Line of Scrimmage.

Shelton is a good blocker but due to the OL lacking the ability to just blow the opposition off the ball, it's better we go single back and fill the field with WR's.

428935[/snapback]

I agree with you that spreading the field will fit better with McGahee's cut-back style and take some pressure off the O-line. At the same time, it puts more pressure on JP to prove he's a credible passing threat and keep the D honest. In other words, sort of opposite of what we heard in the offseason about having him just be efficient and not carrying the team.

The "experiement" of having JP run pure drop back sets did seem to fail miserably in the Detroit game. He was really locking in on his receivers when he took more than a 3-step drop and the DBs were reading his eyes pretty effectively. He's more comfortable on the move, but again, that's going to put more pressure on him to be on the same page as the WRs.

If they're going with a more pass-oriented base set, its either a sign they're confident JP can make it work--or an admission the power running game just doesn't have a chance with this O-line. Hope it's the former! :)

5 wide receiver sets will be intersting to see with a new QB.  But at least it will spread the field so that the entire defense isn't coming up to the line of scrimmage.  I thinl it might say something about our confidence in some of these wide recievers or that our Offensive Line can't take on heavy blitzes.

429008[/snapback]

having 5 wrs will not deter teams from blitzing.

theonly thing that will stop blitzes is for JP to hit those WRs for big plays on a consistent basis.