Bills Cut Roster to 53

Matt in KC

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we only have one backup DE on the entire roster?  Is TD looking to pick someone up or what?

428461[/snapback]

Notice that Lauvale Sape is still on the roster. Maybe they plan to use him as a DE as well?

Did anyone see Sape getting any reps at DE in training camp?

428495[/snapback]

Sape and Bannan made the team.. 5 DTs.. unless Bannan switches to OL.

428501[/snapback]

Bannan played both DE and DT last year, they liked him for his flexibility.

I know this post will be followed with a million "i've heard of him!" posts; but does anyone think that maybe Ritzman AND Gause were cut because we're interested in Hugh Douglas?

428484[/snapback]

That was my first thought knee jerk reaction when I saw the cut lists ...... but isn't Douglas pretty old and pretty much considered washed up?

I'm happy for Jim Leonard, but I'm astounded by these cuts. It was clearly strategy-based, and a lot of these choices come down to 'who do we think will clear waivers'. Clearly, they didn't think Leonard would make it through. We have 3 DEs, which is a shock, but I'm guessing that they consider Posey a backup DE and that Stamer can fill his role if need be. I'm happy with that - I don't think Posey is more of a playmaker than Stamer on the strong side, so it works out pretty nicely there.

But I'm also surprised by *7* receivers. Holy fuggin schitt. I've never seen that before. Most teams carry 5. SEVEN receivers...and Reed, Wilson, Aiken and SMith had better make some fuggin plays by the time Parrish is ready...cuz one of them is gone at that point. We wont' finish the year with 7 receivers, that's for sure.

Knew Ezekiel wouldn't make it cuz they like our depth at LB and nobody seems to take an injury there. We've been lucky.

Last surprise is the OLinemen. Sape AND Bannan on DL but McFarland AND Tucker cut? Wow. ANd I wasn't at all impressed by the work of Greg Jerman so that came as a shock.

In a nutshell, I don't think ANYBODY could have guessed this roster correclty.

I was surprised by the fact that we only kept 3 DE's but Glenn made the point that Bannon doubled as a DT/DE last year and NodNarb made the point that Posey can fill in at DE which I remember Mularkey pointing out during camp and Nod also pointed out that Stamer can fill in at Posey's LB position..........7WR's.....Damn ST must be a factor (obviously) All in all I have no doubts. I trust Mularkey's decisions............

But I'm also surprised by *7* receivers. Holy fuggin schitt. I've never seen that before. Most teams carry 5. SEVEN receivers...and Reed, Wilson, Aiken and SMith had better make some fuggin plays by the time Parrish is ready...cuz one of them is gone at that point. We wont' finish the year with 7 receivers, that's for sure.

428678[/snapback]

Maybe Mularkey is planning on pulling out the ol' Steve Spurrier "1 QB, 3 O-Lineman and 7 WR" formation...

The Haddad cut has me pretty irked  :)  What more is a guy supposed to do?  Then you have Stone Hands Reed who makes the roster.

428727[/snapback]

I seems to have come down to blocking, which wasn't Haddad's stong suit. We also have too many good punt return men on the roster, which didn't help his cause either.

I think that when Parrish is healthy, they will cut a WR or move him to the PS, and activate Gause or Ritzmann (probably Gause) from the PS. In fact, I'll bet they've already told Gause he's gonna be on the team in a matter of a couple weeks.

The thing is, they do have some players who can cover a few positions. Peters can also play TE, and Bannon can play DE and OT if needed. I was stoked to see Leonhard make the team, because the Tasker comparisons are inevitable. He was a great 4 year player at Wisconsin, and had a boatload of interceptions, and was a great punt returner.

As opposed to a punt catcher, who we all remember as......

I seems to have come down to blocking, which wasn't Haddad's stong suit.  We also have too many good punt return men on the roster, which didn't help his cause either.

428741[/snapback]

Fair enough, but:

Reed can block, but not catch

Smith is fast, but dumb as rocks

Wilson is... the next Clarence Coleman?

Aiken is the slower version of Moulds with poorer hands

I suppose there is one complete receiver there if you add the four of them up, but I'm not sure that means 7 roster spots should have been used on receivers.

I know there are good reasons why I am not running this team, but nonetheless, I think they are crazy for not keeping a guy who just caught the ball consistently.

I know there are good reasons why I am not running this team, but nonetheless, I think they are crazy for not keeping a guy who just caught the ball consistently.

428751[/snapback]

The 5th+ WR has to be able to play on ST. If Haddad wasn't going to be the punt return guy, he didn't have a shot. Aiken is a good ST guy, and George Wilson look's like he can play there as well, so they make sense. But I can't see why Fast Freddie made it, since I doubt he'll be returning punts either.

The 5th+ WR has to be able to play on ST.  If Haddad wasn't going to be the punt return guy, he didn't have a shot.  Aiken is a good ST guy, and George Wilson look's like he can play there as well, so they make sense.  But I can't see why Fast Freddie made it, since I doubt he'll be returning punts either.

428759[/snapback]

Do we then see a justifiable difference between Aiken and Wilson where they each offer different talents for this team, then?

I just don't buy it.

So we only have one backup DE on the entire roster?  Is TD looking to pick someone up or what?

428461[/snapback]

Nope, not really. It's what I've been saying for quite awhile that I am still trying to figure out the Bills D scheme.

I'm not sure what you should name the positions (I like CG Nittan's naming the role played by Posey and backed-up by Denney "The Keeper"). But though I'm not sure what shorthand applies to the positions, I do know that the standard 4-3 alignment which calls for there to be 4 DEs simply does not apply to our depth chart.

The Bills have four guys Posey, Denney, Schobel and Haggan who can play the Keeper and RDE role and that is plenty,

Fair enough, but:

Reed can block, but not catch

Smith is fast, but dumb as rocks

Wilson is... the next Clarence Coleman?

Aiken is the slower version of Moulds with poorer hands

I suppose there is one complete receiver there if you add the four of them up, but I'm not sure that means 7 roster spots should have been used on receivers.

428751[/snapback]

When in doubt, go to the bottom line, and

just say NO to white WR's. :)