Helping conserve fuel

Now that gas prices are going to be close to 3.00/gal up here in the near future sooner or later .....steps will be taken in my house to conserve fuel consumption

-No unnecessary trips...if it is not on the way home from work or to work then we don't go

-dining out is going away

-the wife is carpooling which will save us a ton of gas since we live 1 hr away from our jobs

-cars tuned up

Any other advice you can give or any ideas you may have would be great

(wisecracks aside)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that gas prices are going to be close to 3.00/gal up here in the near future sooner or later .....steps will be taken in my house to conserve fuel consumption

-No unnecessary trips...if it is not on the way home from work or to work then we don't go

-dining out is going away

-the wife is carpooling which will save us a ton of gas since we live 1 hr away from our jobs

-cars tuned up

Any other advice you can give or any ideas you may have would be great

(wisecracks aside)

421925[/snapback]

I don't know if this applies to you but....Stop making pretend you are part of the NASCAR circuit when driving on the thruway(especially when you already have a gas guzzling SUV)! :D

Don't forget about the off-shore oil off the coast of CA and FLA. :D

421961[/snapback]

Yes, FL and CA instead of ANWR. In 20 years they'll be too warm and out of drinking water, so who cares about the view. Alaska, meanwhile, will be prime real estate. Don't want to spoil tomorrows golfcourses!

seriously:

--keep your tires at a consistent pressure

--drive with your windows up and AC on... It's more efficient to do it this way than the other because of drag caused by the open windows

--Make sure your spark plugs are gapped correctly and are in good condition

--don't slam on the gas or brake... Use the cruise control as often as possible

--Drive in the highest gear comfortable for your car (i.e. if you're going 40mph, shift to 4th and drop your rpms to 2800 instead of leaving it in 3rd at 3900rpms.

In your house:

--shades drawn

--leave AC at a constant temperature... it uses more energy to move along a temperature gradient than it does to maintain a constant temp.

Yes, FL and CA instead of ANWR.  In 20 years they'll be too warm and out of drinking water, so who cares about the view.  Alaska, meanwhile, will be prime real estate. Don't want to spoil tomorrows golfcourses!

421983[/snapback]

Gussie, Gussie, Gussie...ask Bunter when it comes to science. :D

seriously:

--keep your tires at a consistent pressure

--drive with your windows up and AC on...  It's more efficient to do it this way than the other because of drag caused by the open windows

--Make sure your spark plugs are gapped correctly and are in good condition

--don't slam on the gas or brake...  Use the cruise control as often as possible

--Drive in the highest gear comfortable for your car (i.e. if you're going 40mph, shift to 4th and drop your rpms to 2800 instead of leaving it in 3rd at 3900rpms.

In your house:

--shades drawn

--leave AC at a constant temperature...  it uses more energy to move along a temperature gradient than it does to maintain a constant temp.

421996[/snapback]

Good advice.