Katrina could raise gas prices?

I occasionaly stop in on a msg board on slickdeals.net.. anyway, someone posted:

Fill your gas tanks up before you go to sleep

"Oil is going to take a huge jump tomorrow due to Katrina. The perception of the rigs being out of service, not to mention their are a few refineries in the area where the 'cane is going to hit, is going to blow the per barrel price through the roof. We could see $70+ per barrel this week yielding gas price hikes nationwide."

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=130899

Anything to worry about?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I occasionaly stop in on a msg board on slickdeals.net.. anyway, someone posted:

"Oil is going to take a huge jump tomorrow due to Katrina. The perception of the rigs being out of service, not to mention their are a few refineries in the area where the 'cane is going to hit, is going to blow the per barrel price through the roof. We could see $70+ per barrel this week yielding gas price hikes nationwide."

Anything to worry about?

421149[/snapback]

A million barrels a day of domestic oil production have already been shut down because of the hurricane. The refineries along the Gulf coast and Mississippi will be shut down next. And the Mississippi is a major transportation route for oil and gas (part of the reason for the spike in gas prices last year was that an accident on the Mississippi messed up shipping of gas).

Yeah, oil's going up. I expect it'll hit $70 well before lunch tomorrow. I already filled my tank, and identified the oil-sensitive stocks I'm shorting.

I received an e-mail forward from my grandfather telling me not to buy gas on september 1, and declaring september first as National Stick it up their behind day, as it would really screw up the oil companies' supply if nobody in America and Canada bought gas that day. I won't be needing a fillup till the end of september, so this doesn't affect me personally, but it would be interesting as hell if the word actually got out.

As for the price going up due to the hurricane? yes, this is absolutely true. It happens all the time when storms hit anywhere in the oil supply route. Oil companies use any type of excuse to raise rates. Get gas tonight, or purchase a hydrogen fuel cell car tomorrow morning. (i saw a show on bio diesel, and animal fat fuel... it was the "30-days episode on fx where the people lived on a hippie commune. I'm not too much of a gorp eating, tree hugging hippie, but the alternative fuels discussed in that show were quite interesting)

I received an e-mail forward from my grandfather telling me not to buy gas on september 1, and declaring september first as National Stick it up their behind day, as it would really screw up the oil companies' supply if nobody in America and Canada bought gas that day.  I won't be needing a fillup till the end of september, so this doesn't affect me personally, but it would be interesting as hell if the word actually got out.

421174[/snapback]

Yeah. That would REALLY screw up the oil companies. :D

Yeah.  That would REALLY screw up the oil companies.  :D

421179[/snapback]

Yeah, because if you didn't buy gas on the 1st, you wouldn't need to just buy that much more on the 2nd...

seriously, do people even THINK when they forward these emails? This might have an impact if you don't buy gas on the 1st AND ride your bike the entire day...

Yeah, because if you didn't buy gas on the 1st, you wouldn't need to just buy that much more on the 2nd...

seriously, do people even THINK when they forward these emails? This might have an impact if you don't buy gas on the 1st AND ride your bike the entire day...

421184[/snapback]

You got it!

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/nogas.asp

Anything to worry about?

421149[/snapback]

well just hope anyone on the message board that lives in the area gets the hell out NOW!!!

Anything to worry about?

421149[/snapback]

It went further west into the Gulf than they suspected--the market is so skittish anything will raise prices. Steve--I am less worried about gas prices--since you are going to save me a bunch of money on my car insurance.... (sorry if I offended anyone with a lame attempt at humor on a serious subject)... :P

Taken from an AP story:

Katrina will be only the fourth category 5 storm to hit the United States. The last was 1992's Hurricane Andrew, which leveled parts of South Florida, killed 43 people and caused $31 billion in damage. The other two were the 1935 Labor Day hurricane that hit the Florida Keys and killed 600 people and Hurricane Camille, which devastated the Mississippi coast in 1969, killing 256.

Lots of people using the Superdome as an evacuation site. Thoughts and prayers to all those who can't or won't get out of the way. Lots of help will be needed in the clean up.

I'll put in a plug for your local food bank or Catholic charities or yes even the Red Cross who will all be called into action and are already providing needed resources. Blood will be in short supply as well--for those of you in the same geography--if you are due to give a pint--now may be a good time to do it.

It went further west into the Gulf than they suspected--the market is so skittish anything will raise prices.  Steve--I am less worried about gas prices--since you are going to save me a bunch of money on my car insurance....  (sorry if I offended anyone with a lame attempt at humor on a serious subject)...  :P

Taken from an AP story:

Katrina will be only the fourth category 5 storm to hit the United States.  The last was 1992's Hurricane Andrew, which leveled parts of South Florida, killed 43 people and caused $31 billion in damage. The other two were the 1935 Labor Day hurricane that hit the Florida Keys and killed 600 people and Hurricane Camille, which devastated the Mississippi coast in 1969, killing 256.

Lots of people using the Superdome as an evacuation site.  Thoughts and prayers to all those who can't or won't get out of the way. Lots of help will be needed in the clean up. 

I'll put in a plug for your local food bank or Catholic charities or yes even the Red Cross who will all be called into action and are already providing needed resources.  Blood will be in short supply as well--for those of you in the same geography--if you are due to give a pint--now may be a good time to do it.

421215[/snapback]

The Labor Day hurricane was wicked. People caught out in the open by it were actually sandblasted to death - nothing found of them but any metal objects they had on them (e.g. belt buckles) and slivers of bone.

The wife went through Andrew, ten miles from the eye. That storm actually wrecked the bank she managed including the bank vault. Anyone have any idea what it takes to destroy a bank vault? :blink:

That storm actually wrecked the bank she managed including the bank vault.  Anyone have any idea what it takes to destroy a bank vault?  :P

421225[/snapback]

yes... no wait... no. Yeah, i don't have a clue what it takes to destroy a bank vault.

The Labor Day hurricane was wicked.  People caught out in the open by it were actually sandblasted to death - nothing found of them but any metal objects they had on them (e.g. belt buckles) and slivers of bone.

The wife went through Andrew, ten miles from the eye.  That storm actually wrecked the bank she managed including the bank vault.  Anyone have any idea what it takes to destroy a bank vault?   :P

421225[/snapback]

Both of those mentions are just bone chilling...

I still remember vividly the aerial video footage and stills from South Miami and Homestead after Andrew...it looked like a 30 mile wide F-5 tornado touched down...and stayed down....

Anything to worry about?

421149[/snapback]

Filled my car up with gas tonight at 3.03 per gallon I would imagine that tomorrow premium could go as high as 3.50 per gallon. Look out.

Anything to worry about?

421149[/snapback]

The market in Sydney, Australia's already open...US Gulf crude is already trading above $70. :P I'd bet when New York opens in the morning, it'll be in the $72-75 range, and could be $80 before the week's out.