Mularkey's decision to punt

JÂy RÛßeÒ

Factors:

2:18 left

4th and 10 at Jax 33 - a 51 yard FG attempt is clearly the outermost limit of our kicker's leg. If he misses Jax gets ball at 41.

We're ahead by 4 meaning they need to score a TD against last years' #2 D who hasn't allowed a TD all day.

A good punt gives them a VERY long field to have to work with.

So I'm OK with the decision to punt. But here's where it starts going wrong.

Moorman punts down the middle rather than for the corner. Ball bounces Jags way and they start at their 20.

For some reason we switch to a 3-4 with Ron Edwards as the NT and Jeff Posey as a DE. Leftwich has all day to throw for the rest of the game.

You know the rest... :angry:

For some reason we switch to a 3-4 with Ron Edwards as the NT and Jeff Posey as a DE.  Leftwich has all day to throw for the rest of the game.

You know the rest...  :angry:

29113[/snapback]

The "prevent defense" philosophy always prevents the Bills from winning. You win by doing what worked all day.... Attacking/Blitzing.

Blitz was key....

Especially when everytime we blitzed Leftwich would make a bad read or just make an awful throw...

I also hate the prevent defense in a one possession game...you go with what has worked the entire game....Hopefully Gray learns his lesson

I have no problem with the punt.  I have a problem calling a run when you know you are going to punt.  Throw on 3-11 and try to win the game instead of trying not to lose it.

29145[/snapback]

Actually I believe it was 3rd and 14...I have no problem with the run and wouldnt of had a problem with a pass either...thats a 50/50 call in my book....You run you keep the clock moving and hope Mcgahee gets 4-5 on the draw to get you back in that 46 yard FG range...Mcgahee only gained a yard and the rest is history

4th and 10 at Jax 33 - a 51 yard FG attempt is clearly the outermost limit of our kicker's leg.  If he misses Jax gets ball at 41.

29113[/snapback]

Actually I think Lindell has the leg for 50-55 easy. The problem he has with accuracy though is only compounded as the distance gets longer.

Factors:

4th and 10 at Jax 33 - a 51 yard FG attempt is clearly the outermost limit of our kicker's leg.  If he misses Jax gets ball at 41.

We're ahead by 4 meaning they need to score a TD against last years' #2 D who hasn't allowed a TD all day.

So I'm OK with the decision to punt.  But here's where it starts going wrong.

Moorman punts down the middle rather than for the corner.  Ball bounces Jags way and they start at their 20.

For some reason we switch to a 3-4 with Ron Edwards as the NT and Jeff Posey as a DE.  Leftwich has all day to throw for the rest of the game.

You know the rest...  :blush:

29113[/snapback]

If you had a decent kicker that would not have happened ,they better get another kicker as Lindell will be affecting the coaches decision :angry:

Factors:

So I'm OK with the decision to punt.  But here's where it starts going wrong.

Moorman punts down the middle rather than for the corner.  Ball bounces Jags way and they start at their 20.

You know the rest...  :angry:

29113[/snapback]

I would like to respectfully disagree. The punt and the prevent are all part of the same philosophy.

Here's the thing. If you are a coach with big ones and believe your D can stop them from the 20, you go for the FG. Even if they get the ball in good field position it doesn't matter because a FG for them does nothing, you would have to give up a TD.

You punt because you know you are going to go into a prevent shell and give up all kinds of yards. In the end, you are taking the stance that your team can hold them on 4 plays inside the 10 because it will come down to that.

I'm surprised nobody else is concerned about the punt itself - if Moorman is this great punter why can't he hit a corner?  I think there are too many variables when you count on bounce/coverage.

29159[/snapback]

He could of been told to do so....I know Tasker said before the play thats what he would of told the Punter to do, Kick it high and let the Punt Returner fair catch it.....The problem is the Punt Returner(J.Lewis) alloud it bounce and luckily for him it took a Jag bounce...

Would have but I dont know any of you, and I dont post nearly as much as some. I doubt anyone would know who I was. I would love to come to one of the tailgates someday!

29169[/snapback]

Here's a little story. On Saturday night at Danny's, we were done eating and had moved down to the bar. A lady at one of the tables seemed to be watching us alot. She was pretty crocked and I don't even remember who started talking to her but it turned out that she's been lurking here for 2 or 3 years but has never registered or posted. As we introduced her around she was like "I KNOW YOU!" or "OH MY GOD THAT'S #89!" or whatever.

We had never met mead107 either, but there he was with his family at dinner with us.

Don't be shy, we're a pretty friendly bunch!

If you had  a decent kicker that would not have happened ,they better get another kicker as Lindell will be affecting  the coaches decision  :angry:

29166[/snapback]

And who is that kicker they should have got that was available as a free agent? I'm not a big Lindell fan, but when you look around the league at how many teams constantly switch kickers, I'm not sure there were many better options available. Re-signing Hollis certainly wasn't the answer as he was out for year. So who's the better choice?

Kickers are like QB's. There are 32 teams in the league and about a dozen really great ones. Unfortunately the rest of the teams deal with the best they can find.

Here's a little story.  On Saturday night at Danny's, we were done eating and had moved down to the bar.  A lady at one of the tables seemed to be watching us alot.  She was pretty crocked and I don't even remember who started talking to her but it turned out that she's been lurking here for 2 or 3 years but has never registered or posted.  As we introduced her around she was like "I KNOW YOU!" or "OH MY GOD THAT'S #89!" or whatever.

We had never met mead107 either, but there he was with his family at dinner with us.

Don't be shy, we're a pretty friendly bunch!

29183[/snapback]

As I can personally attest. Everyone was so nice to us! I will definitely plan to attend next year too....

He could of been told to do so....I know Tasker said before the play thats what he would of told the Punter to do, Kick it high and let the Punt Returner fair catch it.....The problem is the Punt Returner(J.Lewis) alloud it bounce and luckily for him it took a Jag bounce...

29177[/snapback]

But you're putting too much into the other team's hands. Kicking out of bounds takes so many other variables out of it - what will the returner do etc etc.