ARTICLE 2 OF IRAQI CONSTITUTION

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Article 2 of proposed Iraqi constitution:

Article 2:

Para. 1: Islam is the official religion of state, and is a fundamental source for legislation.

a) No law may be legislated that contravenes the essential verities of Islamic law.

416444[/snapback]

It will be interesting to see how that section works with:

Chapter 2

Article (14): Iraqis are equal before the law without discrimination because of gender, ethnicity, nationality, origin, color, religion, sect, belief, opinion or social or economic status

and

Article (16): Equal opportunity is a right guaranteed to all Iraqis, and the state shall take the necessary steps to achieve this.

It will also be interesting to see how this plays out:

1st -- Entities or trends that advocate, instigate, justify or propagate racism, terrorism, ''takfir'' (declaring someone an infidel), sectarian cleansing, are banned, especially the Saddamist Baath Party in Iraq and its symbols, under any name. It will be not be allowed to be part of the multilateral political system in Iraq, which should be defined according to the law.

I guess is depends on how one defines an "Iraqi".  In America until the last century, giving rights to "Americans" didn't mean women or other minorities were entitled to the same.

416497[/snapback]

"Iraqis are equal before the law without discrimination because of gender..."

That tells me that women have the same rights as men. The problem is that Islamic Law does not have the same equality. Which section of the proposed Constitution carries more weight?

That tells me that women have the same rights as men. The problem is that Islamic Law does not have the same equality. Which section of the proposed Constitution carries more weight?

416500[/snapback]

Excellent point.

I guess is depends on how one defines an "Iraqi".  In America until the last century, giving rights to "Americans" didn't mean women or other minorities were entitled to the same.

416497[/snapback]

1861 was two centuries ago. We had a little war over that little declaration. Good thing the Republicans had the balls to do so.

The fact that they think they can realistically reconcile these things is proof positive that their ancestors had sex with camels.  :blush:  :devil:

416509[/snapback]

Don't knock it until you try it. Of course I won't be knocking anytime soon, but you're free to do so.

1861 was two centuries ago.  We had a little war over that little declaration.  Good thing the Republicans had the balls to do so.

416511[/snapback]

1861 wasn't two centuries ago unless you are using the same sort of math GWB does when calculating the results from his tax cuts. More to the point, to compare the Republican Party of the Civil War era with that of today is pretty much consistent with your math skills.

1861 wasn't two centuries ago unless you are using the same sort of math GWB does when calculating the results from his tax cuts.  More to the point, to compare the Republican Party of the Civil War era with that of today is pretty much consistent with your math skills.

416554[/snapback]

We are in the 21st century. The last century as debbie eluded to was the 20th century, the century prior to that was the 19th century and includes the year 1861.

Unless of course you are John Kerry, Howard Dean, or one of their supporters.

We are in the 21st century.  The last century as debbie eluded to was the 20th century, the century prior to that was the 19th century and includes the year 1861. 

Unless of course you are John Kerry, Howard Dean,  or one of their supporters.

416564[/snapback]

Math is hard.

We are in the 21st century.  The last century as debbie eluded to was the 20th century, the century prior to that was the 19th century and includes the year 1861. 

Unless of course you are John Kerry, Howard Dean,  or one of their supporters.

416564[/snapback]

I'll grant you point on "century" and write off our disagreement to semantics. My point regarding your comparing the Republican Party of the 1860's to that of today still stands. The two parties have little in common, and your comparison between the two is ill founded.

I'll grant you point on "century" and write off our disagreement to semantics.  My point regarding your comparing the Republican Party of the 1860's to that of today still stands.  The two parties have little in common, and your comparison between the two is ill founded.

416582[/snapback]

So you're wrong on one, but not the other. Got news for you. You're wrong on both counts.

1861 was two centuries ago.  We had a little war over that little declaration.  Good thing the Republicans had the balls to do so.

416511[/snapback]

So minorities and women were given equal rights by the Civil War? The 19th Amendment was not necessary? The "Voting Rights Act of 1965" was not necessary?

:rolleyes: ....

416500[/snapback]

If you want to make a million bucks, found the Baghdad School of Law. The Constitution writers just setup Iraqi lawyers for the next hundred years.