Defense helping Offense

stevewin

I know this is nothing new - but thought it was interesting to see two quotes today regarding our offense going up against our defense every day in practice.

The thing that impressed Preston the most at training camp? The Buffalo defense.

“It surprises me how good our defense is. That’s not to say anything about the two teams we played (Indianapolis and Green Bay), but our defense is unbelievable,” he said. “In college, you might get beat on one or two plays, but out here — if you have an off day, you could get drubbed the whole practice.

Preston article

"J.P. is getting a little bit better every day," said Wyche. "The one thing we can not get frustrated with is not seeing giant leaps on certain days. You just don't see it in this league. Our defense is too strong of an opponent to practice against. He's going to make strides every day and if he takes two days to make a stride then we just live for two days with it. He's getting better and better every day. He's got all the skills and now it's just a matter of taking snaps."

BB.com

I've also read where JP and Duke both said they were looking forward to the scrimmage against the Packers because they wanted to see what playing against another defense was like. They both said they (while noting they didn't mean any disrespect to the Packers) were a little surprised with how much slower the Packers' defense was.

I've also read where JP and Duke both said they were looking forward to the scrimmage against the Packers because they wanted to see what playing against another defense was like. They both said they (while noting they didn't mean any disrespect to the Packers) were a little surprised with how much slower the Packers' defense was.

416426[/snapback]

After watching the game last night, all I can say is our defense is sick. If you think you're gonna run on us, you're crazy. Every angle, every play, every time they are on the field, they are sick. Special teams is the same way. I'm actually starting to believe that this WILL be the single best defense in the NFL this year.

I'm actually starting to believe that this WILL be the single best defense in the NFL this year.

416434[/snapback]

Why the low expectations? Spikes has said the best in the NFL is not good enough - he wants to be known as the best defense of all time! :devil::blush:

After watching the game last night, all I can say is our defense is sick. If you think you're gonna run on us, you're crazy. Every angle, every play, every time they are on the field, they are sick. Special teams is the same way. I'm actually starting to believe that this WILL be the single best defense in the NFL this year.

416434[/snapback]

I'm getting a little sick of this greatest defense in the world stuff. Can we please hold onto a slim 4th qtr lead or not wilt agaisn't scrubs before we label this D anything better than average. Do they have the potential to be great, absolutely. Will they be, i am a little more than caustiosly optimistic, but not 100% convinced, more like 80% convinced.

416434[/snapback]

I agree 100 percent, LA. But someone on this board posted last week that ESPN listed their projected top-five NFL defenses this year, and they didn't include the Bills. I was wondering if anyone who saw/heard that report, might post here which teams were listed. I cannot come up with five defenses that could be better than the Bills. I would guess the Steelers and Redskins would be on the list.

I cannot come up with five defenses that could be better than the Bills. I would guess the Steelers and Redskins would be on the list.

I can see some people putting a healthy Carolina D on a list like that.

With the addition of Samari Rolle and Boulaware coming back, Baltimore probably belongs up there.

Philadelphia should finish with good numbers in that horrible division.

The Pats could have been considered last year but they've lost too much, and the Jest are underrated defensively but I don't know about top 5 material.

My guess at the ESPN list would be:

1) P'burgh

2) Washington

3) Baltimore

4) Carolina

5) Philadelphia

6) Buffalo

I can see some people putting a healthy Carolina D on a list like that.

With the addition of Samari Rolle and Boulaware coming back, Baltimore probably belongs up there.

Philadelphia should finish with good numbers in that horrible division.

The Pats could have been considered last year but they've lost too much, and the Jest are underrated defensively but I don't know about top 5 material.

My guess at the ESPN list would be:

1) P'burgh

2) Washington

3) Baltimore

4) Carolina

5) Philadelphia

6) Buffalo

416512[/snapback]

The radio jocks in Philly are already declaring their defense to be better than the '02 Bucs. If that's the case they're a lock to win the Bowl. I personally don't see it - but you're right the offenses they face in their division are putrid.

In no particular order I'd put the Bills in the top 4 with Baltimore, NE (until proven otherwise - I don't care who they lost), and Washington.

I'll put P'burgh, Carolina, Philly, NYJ, and maybe Jax, Tampa & Chicago in the next tier. Maybe I'm underrating the Steelers - I dunno - it seems they're good every other year and I still think their secondary is vulnerable vs. a decent QB.

Obscure, yet outstanding "Stripes" reference.

416571[/snapback]

Indeed - took me a minute or so to get my bearing on that

In no particular order I'd put the Bills in the top 4 with Baltimore, NE (until proven otherwise - I don't care who they lost), and Washington.

I'll put P'burgh, Carolina, Philly, NYJ, and maybe Jax, Tampa & Chicago in the next tier. Maybe I'm underrating the Steelers - I dunno - it seems they're good every other year and I still think their secondary is vulnerable vs. a decent QB.

My list was a guess at what ESPN would do as opposed to how I see it. I agree with almost everything you said there.

416434[/snapback]

It's like 1999 all over again. :rolleyes: This time we need to bring home the hardware. The window is closing.