How Do Folks Explain Peters Going Undrafted?

He is being described as the greatest athlete that folks such as JMac have ever coached (and he coached Munoz) and being given singular similar praise by old hands in the NFL with the Bills.

There is also praise coming down that he has not made a single-mistake at LT this preseason.

My question is how did 32 NFL teams (including our Bills) with all their scouts, The Combine, and all the bucks dedicated to them making the perfect choice miss so badly in passing on this specimen 7 times+ in the draft?

My guesses are:

1. There is some personal foible which disqualified him as a draft pick in everyone's mind which I missed and if anyone knows or remembers this inquiring (or should I say enquiring( football fan would love to know.

2. He did register a near historic low on the Wonderlic test and like moost Americans NFL types can attribute more faith than it worth giving to numbers and tests when they actually do not do an accurate (or even good) job of predicting who will be a good football player (or whether someone will do well in college or a job for that matter).

3. There is a little bit of exaggeration going on here from the Bills braintrust as they seek to develop confidence in or around a player, seek to market their team to ticket-buyers and the media, and seek to promote their own ability or paper over their mistakes.

It will be interesting to see how this all adds up wih the results of Peters play (the only true measure in this game).

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

lack of work ethic (he has over-come this perception).......weight issues also impacted his status.....

it should be noted he was passed over by the league a second time when he was cut before the season last year.........

Undrafted stars: London Fletcher, Brian Moorman, Jeff Saturday, Jake Delhomme, Billy Volek, Priest Holmes, Antonio Gates, Drew Bennett, Rod Smith, Wayne Chrebet, Adewale Ogunleye, Pat Williams, Adam Vinatieri and Mike Vanderjagt.

How do explain that?

Could it be that Jason Peters played out of position in college, and should have been converted to tackle then?

Wasn't Arkansas more of a running team when he played there? If Peters was used mostly for run blocking, his offensive stats wouldn't have attracted pro teams looking for a tight end with good hands.

lack of work ethic (he has over-come this perception).......weight issues also impacted his status.....

it should be noted he was passed over by the league a second time when he was cut before the season last year.........

414368[/snapback]

Wag, when your cut, can anyteam sign you to the Practice Squad? I think they can, but if you sign someone off some one elses practise squad, they have to put you on the active roster right?

Anyway, thing Peters was a classic tweener.

Wag, when your cut, can anyteam sign you to the Practice Squad? I think they can, but if you sign someone off some one elses practise squad, they have to put you on the active roster right?

Anyway, thing Peters was a classic tweener.

414380[/snapback]

yea, i believe you are correct........if a players is cut they must first clear waivers, but if you go unclaimed they are a UFA and free to sign with any club, via active roster or practice squad......

if a team signs a player off another squad they must add them to the active roster and cannot add them to the practice squad without cutting them first........

He played in the wrong position for the wrong college and the low Wonderlic score. His success story up to now is a function of the prowess of the Bills scouting and coaching.

Undrafted stars: London Fletcher, Brian Moorman, Jeff Saturday, Jake Delhomme, Billy Volek, Priest Holmes, Antonio Gates, Drew Bennett, Rod Smith, Wayne Chrebet, Adewale Ogunleye, Pat Williams,  Adam Vinatieri and Mike Vanderjagt.

How do explain that?

414371[/snapback]

:D

bunch of 'em in years past...Larry Little, Joe Jacoby, Ernie Ladd etc.

If I remember, when he came out of FSU he had a knock on him that he was..... to put it mildly.....well, it was said that he didn't have much gray matter. A Dexter Manly type that could barely grasp the college playbook and as for an NFL playbook....forget it! Let me make this perfectly clear, I didn't say this, these are the things that I heard from Mel Kiper types at draft time.

It looks like Lenny (what is what the rest of the NFL thinks) can be trained.

Jeff

it's obvious, FFS -- he's stupid.  don't you know he only scored a 9 on the wonderlic?  it's a miracle he can put his own underwear on.  :D

414376[/snapback]

I think you put to much stake (even it's most avid propronents which i am far from being) do not claim it makes the same false claims of being an intelligence measure IQ boosters claim) and give to much faith to a test score.

He is being described as the greatest athlete that folks such as JMac have ever coached (and he coached Munoz) and being given singular similar praise by old hands in the NFL with the Bills.

There is also praise coming down that he has not made a single-mistake at LT this preseason.

My question is how did 32 NFL teams (including our Bills) with all their scouts, The Combine, and all the bucks dedicated to them making the perfect choice miss so badly in passing on this specimen 7 times+ in the draft?

My guesses are:

1. There is some personal foible which disqualified him as a draft pick in everyone's mind which I missed and if anyone knows or remembers this inquiring (or should I say enquiring( football fan would love to know.

2. He did register a near historic low on the Wonderlic test and like moost Americans NFL types can attribute more faith than it worth giving to numbers and tests when they actually do not do an accurate (or even good) job of predicting who will be a good football player (or whether someone will do well in college or a job for that matter).

3. There is a little bit of exaggeration going on here from the Bills braintrust as they seek to develop confidence in or around a player, seek to market their team to ticket-buyers and the media, and seek to promote their own ability or paper over their mistakes.

It will be interesting to see how this all adds up wih the results of Peters play (the only true measure in this game).

414360[/snapback]

I don't get this. What's all the fascination with Peters? He didn't look all that great to me. He's a project, and as far as that goes, he's ok. However, he couldn't make it as a TE, and he's not good enough to crack a line spot, in which we got someone else's castoff in Gandy. I would imagine a former skill player would look more athletic than the rest of the lineman. But how athletic is he, when we needed TE's but yet, he couldn't play TE?

I mean seriously, do you guys by into the hype that much? If you never watched the Bills, but only read this board, you'd think Peters was Orlando Pace.

My vote is #3. Alot of people here seem to believe the Bills propoganda machine when it gets rolling during slow news periods.

I don't get it.

Just wait until he is up for a new contract - then he'll be back to being called a "work in progress".

I don't get this.  What's all the fascination with Peters?  He didn't look all that great to me.  He's a project, and as far as that goes, he's ok.  However, he couldn't make it as a TE, and he's not good enough to crack a line spot, in which we got someone else's castoff in Gandy.  I would imagine a former skill player would look more athletic than the rest of the lineman.  But how athletic is he, when we needed TE's but yet, he couldn't play TE?

I mean seriously, do you guys by into the hype that much?  If you never watched the Bills, but only read this board, you'd think Peters was Orlando Pace. 

My vote is #3.  Alot of people here seem to believe the Bills propoganda machine when it gets rolling during slow news periods.

I don't get it.

Apparently you don't. When JMac calls him the best LT prospect he's ever coached, it means a little more than the belief of your average NFL fan. As was pointed out in another thread, for Peters to be able to hold-his-own against KGB after about a year TOTAL in time spent as a LT in his entire football lifetime, it shows the kid has skills. Maybe he's not ready to start this year, but most likely by next season. And his speed (4.87) isn't really all that fast for a TE, but it's incredible for a LT.

yea, i believe you are correct........if a players is cut they must first clear waivers, but if you go unclaimed they are a UFA and free to sign with any club, via active roster or practice squad......

if a team signs a player off another squad they must add them to the active roster and cannot add them to the practice squad without cutting them first........

414387[/snapback]

This is generally correct. The other thing to factor in here is that it takes two sides to make a deal. My guess is that when the Bills cut him from their roster, they had kind words to say when the Turk came to visit and made anything from a suggestion of a possibility to a promise that as soon as he cleared waivers after being cut, he would be signed to the Bills PS and they drew as clear a map as they felt comfortable doing laying out a path for him that led from him being on the PS to the active roster.

My guess is that several teams came to Peters as soon as the Bills cut him from the roster with offers to go on their PS. However, Peters and his agent (s) made a judgment that their best chance of getting onto an active roster was to stay with the Bills.

It seems as if the move to activate him on the Bills roster was a defensive move on our part if he got a feeler or offer from another team that they had room to put him on their active roster (mandated for signing someone off a PS). When the Bills activated Peters we did not seem to have a specific role for playing him. It seemed to really surprise the Bills braintrust that he turned out to be such an unblockable demon on ST.

He attracted out interest because of his softhands and great skills and we used him as a TE, but I think they assigned him a tackles number to emphasize to him that learning blocking was actually the thing which was stopping him from being an NFL TE as he showed Remeirsma like receiving skills but couldn'y be relied upon to block to save his life.

This to me is why his actually becoming a credible LT is so impressive, because to my understanding it was not receiving that was the weak part of his game, it was blocking.

Perhaps it was both blocking and precise route running which were his failures. It would seem he would have to have multiple deficits to not make him worth project status given the athleticism and nose for the ball he has shown in games.

I think you put to much stake (even it's most avid propronents which i am far from being) do not claim it makes the same false claims of being an intelligence measure IQ boosters claim) and give to much faith to a test score.

414424[/snapback]

i'm not sure i understand your run-on, but one thing is clear: you failed to recognize my sarcasm. i'm the one bashing everyone for calling peters stupid on the basis of that test.