What do you guys think about Kerry Collins?

stevestojan

My draft is tomorrow. 14 of us. If i get a top 5 pick, that means I'll have the 5th and 24th picks. I will pick an RB first, unless Peyton is available (and no, you can't convince me to pass on Peyton if he's there). But my question is, do you think K Collins is a terrible choice in the 2nd round?

3500+ yards 4 out of the last 5 years. 21 TDs in 14 games last year. And now he has Moss.

What do you guys think?

Personally I never draft any other position but rb's in the 1st 2 rounds, If you have good rb's you can win the majority of your weeks, Most drafts I've seen you can get kerry collins in later rounds. My last draft I got him in the 9th rd. Collins has some players around him Moss and Porter, he'll put up #'s. 2nd rd is way to early though imo

Personally I never draft any other position but rb's in the 1st 2 rounds, If you have good rb's you can win the majority of your weeks, Most drafts I've seen you can get kerry collins in later rounds. My last draft I got him in the 9th rd.  Collins has some players around him Moss and Porter, he'll put up #'s. 2nd rd is way to early though imo

413896[/snapback]

My only fear with a 14 man league is that if i wait and chance it, someone may snag him in the 4th or so, and then I'm stuck with Billy Jow Tolbert.

My only fear with a 14 man league is that if i wait and chance it, someone may snag him in the 4th or so, and then I'm stuck with Billy Jow Tolbert.

413897[/snapback]

just be careful if one of the other 13 owners is JP, because we all know who his fantasy QB is...

Steve,

I think that taking KerryCollins in the second round is way too high. Here's a cheat sheet from TheHuddle.com.

He throws a lot of INT's, I'm sure they cost ya.

QUARTERBACKS

Tier 1

1 Peyton Manning IND 8

2 Daunte Culpepper MIN 5

Tier 2

3 Marc Bulger STL 9

4 Donovan McNabb PHI 6

5 Brett Favre GBP 6

6 Trent Green KCC 5

7 Matt Hasselbeck SEA 8

8 Carson Palmer CIN 10

9 Jake Plummer DEN 9

10 Tom Brady NEP 7

Tier 3

11 Aaron Brooks NOS 10

12 Michael Vick ATL 8

13 Drew Brees SDC 10

14 Kerry Collins OAK 5

15 Byron Leftwich JAC 7

16 David Carr HOU 3

17 Chad Pennington NYJ 8

18 Brian Griese TBB 7

19 Jake Delhomme CAR 7

20 Kurt Warner ARI 6

21 Joey Harrington DET 3

22 Steve McNair TEN 10

23 Kyle Boller BAL 3

24 Ben Roethlisberger PIT 4

Wow...you are in a VERY tough position, especially if you take manning. You have the #5 and #24 and #32...

If you go manning at #5...chances are just about every worthwhile RB will be gone when it bounces back to you. You might be able to get a JJ Arrington or Tatum Bell...but thats about it. By the time #32 comes around, there will be very few (if any) starters left, and you might be stuck taking your chances on a Fred Taylor or Ronnie Brown.

Point is, Manning that early really really handcuffs you, ESPECIALLY in a 14 team league.

Realize that in a 14 team league, every team starts 2 RBs...that means 28 RBs need to be taken to be starters. There are only 32 teams in the NFL. Teams like Denver, Tennessee, Cleveland have no set starter at this point, and many others have huge questionmarks in their starters.

IMO you NEED to go RB/RB with the #5 pick.

Would you rather have E.James / JJ Arrington / McNabb or Manning / Arrington / Tatum Bell?

But to answer your original question...YES, it is too early for Collins. Wait on your QB. If you arent going to take my advice and go RB/RB...take a top WR. Many should be sitting there with your 2nd pick, because RBs will be flying off the board. You can get a good QB late in the draft. Manning and Cullpepper are the only 2 worth reaching for...I would maybe take collins if he was still on the board when your 5th round pick came by.

BUT...if you go Manning / Chad Johnson....kiss your chances goodbye unless you get REALLY lucky and pick up some guy who just happens to be at the right place at the right time when a starting RB goes down for injuries.

Collins throws a good number of picks, so be careful if you're docked points for INT's.

I would rate him safely around the 10th QB, but his upside could be Top 3. Plus the job is his. (Does anyone even know who the Raiders back up is? Tsuitsatopo..sp?) He has a ton of weapons, just recognize that Norv likes to run and now Jordan will be the first option. Taking him in the 2nd round is too much of a risk IMHO.

I personally don't even look at QB's until the 5th or 6th round at the earliest. Once Manning, McNabb and Stuffedpepper are off the board there's not much difference between the 4th QB and the 10th QB. That's what you need to look at. There is a big difference between a top 5 RB and the 10-15 range, although the gap is much narrower than in the past.

You're probably looking at Lewis, Willis, or McAllister w/ the 5th pick. If it's a keeper league definitly go w/ Willis. With the 24th pick, you'll probably be looking at 2nd-3rd tier RB. Someone mentioned Bell and Arrington. Stay away from Denver RB's in the early round. Bell has potential, but Shanny is the fantasy foozball devil. Arrington is a safer pick. Shipp is dinged again and opposing D's won't be able to key on him. Also look at Stephen Jackson. If Holt or Chad Johnson are still there, they would also make a good pick.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.