Fredonia or Pittsford?

A question for the longtime denizens of the Wall:

I know that the Bills trained for many years at SUNY-Fredonia. I also know that a desire to branch their market to Rochester and beyond resulted in the move to St. John Fisher College.

If I had been a bigger Bills fan in the mid and late 90s, I would (and should) have made a pilgrimage to Fredonia...it's only three hours from Cleveland. The move to SJFC puts a camp trip logistically out of reach for me.

Which place is better? Did Fredonia have a parade the way Pittsford does?

Mike

From what I recall, Fredonia was very low key...they went there to "get away from it all." Crowds were relatively sparse...Funny...I went to college down there but the only time I went to camp was after I left school....there might have been 200 people there when I went...might have been only 100...it only felt like a lot of people at autograph time...

A question for the longtime denizens of the Wall:

I know that the Bills trained for many years at SUNY-Fredonia.  I also know that a desire to branch their market to Rochester and beyond resulted in the move to St. John Fisher College.

If I had been a bigger Bills fan in the mid and late 90s, I would (and should) have made a pilgrimage to Fredonia...it's only three hours from Cleveland.  The move to SJFC puts a camp trip logistically out of reach for me.

Which place is better?  Did Fredonia have a parade the way Pittsford does?

Mike

412797[/snapback]

Dude... the bills going from fredonia to Fisher was like going from driving a volkswagon beetle to a Lexus. SUNY campuses have basic facilities. private colleges have a lot more ammenities.

Yeah, I forgot to mention Fredonia didn't even have a football team so they set up goal posts on a soccer field....

no "Experience," nothing. Spartan. It was a "practice that happened to be open to the public," and if you wanted autographs you'd try to catch the players as they came out of the main athletic hall...if they came out the front entrance...

Yeah, I forgot to mention Fredonia didn't even have a football team so they set up goal posts on a soccer field....

no "Experience," nothing.  Spartan.  It was a "practice that happened to be open to the public," and if you wanted autographs you'd try to catch the players as they came out of the main athletic hall...if they came out the front entrance...

412806[/snapback]

They had 2 sets of bleachers, one for the general public which could seat 100 maybe and another for VIPs. You couldn't see anything from the bleachers; you saw less standing on the sidelines. Fisher is about 100 times better.

Well, I am a major homer, seeing how Fredonia is my hometown. I have very good memories of going home every year to go to training camp. I haven't been since they moved to Rochester, but I would imagine it would be a nicer facility...

Dude...  the bills going from fredonia to Fisher was like going from driving a volkswagon beetle to a Lexus.  SUNY campuses have basic facilities.  private colleges have a lot more ammenities.

412804[/snapback]

amen to that. AS a SUNY school athlete at brockport, we have been tryin to get a fieldhouse w/ an indoor track for the past few years, but the state won't give their share for the project. I do have to say that things have gotten better, since i was a freshman, we did get a new outdoor track up here, but that was because our old one was destroyed in a wind storm.

I LOVED Fredonia. They even had Shade, something that Fisher is greatly lacking.

Fisher is a beautiful place to watch a practice especially when in the stadium because the security actually do not allow STANDING at the fence. (for you Simon):):blink: and for the night practice they play loud music to encourage the standing, swaying and lighters waving in the air. There is just no shade to sit in and the temps are quite high in July - Aug. It is Clean.

Dude...  the bills going from fredonia to Fisher was like going from driving a volkswagon beetle to a Lexus.  SUNY campuses have basic facilities.  private colleges have a lot more ammenities.

412804[/snapback]

Don't lump in all SUNY schools with the small colleges. UB, admittedly SUNY's largest and most well off University, has a heck of a lot more going for it that St. John Fisher, when speaking about athletic facilities and pretty much everything else.

Fisher hands down. It also helps mobilize fans in Rochester and regionalizes the franchise much better. As a small market team the Bills need that badly. Also Fisher's facilities are superior to Fredonia's. It was a great marketing move for the Bills.

How soon everyone forgets!

The Bills practiced for years on the campus

of Niagara University

How many of you went there when they held

training camp there?

I went a couple times with my dad when I was younger

and then when i was working at the Campus Store

at NU I regularly meet/saw/talked to a number of the

Bills players, coaches and management personel

Training field was about 100 feet from the Gym, the players

and coaches stayed in O'Shea the boys dorm, ate at the

students dining room, my best friends Mom worked

there.

I am sure the players went off campus after their

nightly meetings, they were close to Downtown

Niagara Falls, which at the time still had some things

to do, just a 10min drive to the Canadian Ballet in

NF, Ontario and if they wanted to, they could go to

Lewistown and take in the local historical sites

Just a little reminder that the Bills practiced at places

other than Fredonia and SJF

I LOVED Fredonia.  They even had Shade, something that Fisher is greatly lacking.

Fisher is a beautiful place to watch a practice especially when in the stadium because the security actually do not allow STANDING at the fence. (for you Simon)0:);) and for the night practice they play loud music to encourage the standing, swaying and lighters waving in the air. There is just no shade to sit in and the temps are quite high in July - Aug.  It is Clean.

412946[/snapback]

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!!!! Fedonia had NO SHADE AT ALL. The practice was on a Barren Soccer field surrounded with snow fencing. The BILLS FAN WAGON was there as well as two small highschool like bleachers.

FREDONIA SUCKED. It was a Joke compared to SJF

amen to that. AS a SUNY school athlete at brockport, we have been tryin to get a fieldhouse w/ an indoor track for the past few years, but the state won't give their share for the project. I do have to say that things have gotten better, since i was a freshman, we did get a new outdoor track up here, but that was because our old one was destroyed in a wind storm.

412866[/snapback]

And what a windstorm that was. I remember being in the 9th floor of Perry and I thought the building was gonna topple. Lucky it didn't happen during a game or people in the press box would have been killed.

And what a windstorm that was. I remember being in the 9th floor of Perry and I thought the building was gonna topple. Lucky it didn't happen during a game or people in the press box would have been killed.

413076[/snapback]

Good to see some Brockporters on TSW...graduated there 20 years ago. What's the bar scene like? Canal Side, Northbound, Barbers (vis-o-drafts), Lincoln, Rox, BVI, Caseys (great wings) still up and running?

I've never been to St. John Fisher, but I think just from what I've heard, I like Fredonia better. I like "low key" amd "basic football without a lot of frills. I understand why they went to Rochester though.

How soon everyone forgets!

The Bills practiced for years on the campus

of Niagara University

How many of you went there when they held

training camp there?

How about when the Bills stayed at the Roycroft in East Aurora ? The players walked from the practice fields through town to the lodging - no golf carts then 0:)

Fredonia was intimate - SJF is all about $$$

Good to see some Brockporters on TSW...graduated there 20 years ago.  What's the bar scene like?  Canal Side, Northbound, Barbers (vis-o-drafts), Lincoln, Rox, BVI, Caseys (great wings) still up and running?

413079[/snapback]

Canal Side - Open but sucks ass. Only good for the nights you want to pick up a slut.

Northbound- Closed

Barbers- Open. Cool bar when it's not crowded.

Lincoln- Never heard of

Rox- Never heard of

BVI- Never heard of

Caseys- Never heard of. I'll assume all these closed before I got there.

My favorite bar was Jimmy Macs when I was there. That has since closed though as the owner was a gambler that didn't know when to fold'em. I heard a good BBQ joint/bar opened but haven't been back to try it out.