Hockey is Off ESPN

plenzmd1

ESPN formally rejects offer for the NHL package. Hope you all have OLN. I know I am going to miss that music during the playoffs. Love Melrose too, hopefully that whole NHL tonight crew goes over to Comcast.

Wonder how this will affect the playoff coverage and also the center ice package. Can't see much change to Center ice, and now maybe we can get a price on it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ESPN formally rejects offer for the NHL package. Hope you all have OLN. I know I am going to miss that music during the playoffs. Love Melrose too, hopefully that whole NHL tonight crew goes over to Comcast.

Wonder how this will affect the playoff coverage and also the center ice package. Can't see much change to Center ice, and now maybe we can get a price on it.

410796[/snapback]

F the NHL! OLN is only on a higher package for my dish. They are not worth the extra money.

F the NHL!  OLN is only on a higher package for my dish.  They are not worth the extra money.

410799[/snapback]

Comcast will most likely make OLN a basic package channel for all outlets. They need to get into as many households as possible to get ad revenue up and to keep the NHL when the deal is up in two years.

This is a big move by Comcast to step up against the market controlling ESPN. I read an article from Canada a few weeks back saying ESPN could awaken a giant if they pass up on hockey.

In the end, if all works out, OLN will turn into ESPN-type channel and that will drive the prices of cable and satelitte down because ESPN charges ridiculous rates that are passed on to you and me.

410796[/snapback]

Problems, problems, problems.

Comcast is a CABLE TV empire who absolutely hate satellite.

For example, Comcast controls the cable TV around the Philadelphia area and broadcasts their own sports network (Comcast Sportsnet) on cable. When the Flyers and the Sixers play, Comcast has the "rights" to show the games. So, if you have a satellite in the Philadelphia area, and you subscribe to either the NHL or NBA service, you still will NOT see Flyers or Sixers game because Comcast refuses to allow satellite to broadcast them. The only way that you can watch them is to subscribe to Comcast Cable. And if you live in an area in southeast Pennsylvania that has no cable availabilty, Comcast will STILL prevent you from receiving the game on the satellite.

Comcast is bad news, man.

410808[/snapback]

Agreed - I really despise Comcast.

Want to hear more Comcast crap? When they bought AT&T broadband a few years back, the first thing they did was raise the price of their internet access to $65/month for people without cable TV. If you subscribe to their cable TV, it's only $50. They were trying to convince me to purchase the $8/month cable package because that would still make my monthly bill cheaper. How dispicable is that? I told them to get lost because I wasn't going to help pump up their subscriber numbers to help their stock price.

I actually dislike Comcast more than I dislike Microsoft if you can believe that...

CW

Problems, problems, problems.

Comcast is a CABLE TV empire who absolutely hate satellite.

For example, Comcast controls the cable TV around the Philadelphia area and broadcasts their own sports network (Comcast Sportsnet) on cable. When the Flyers and the Sixers play, Comcast has the "rights" to show the games. So, if you have a satellite in the Philadelphia area, and you subscribe to either the NHL or NBA service, you still will NOT see Flyers or Sixers game because Comcast refuses to allow satellite to broadcast them. The only way that you can watch them is to subscribe to Comcast Cable. And if you live in an area in southeast Pennsylvania that has no cable availabilty, Comcast will STILL prevent you from receiving the game on the satellite.

410808[/snapback]

Im not so sure about that. For instance, all pro games are blacked out on the regional sports network, or else you would just order them and not the specific sports subscirption ala Center Ice. However, as part of the basic package on D*, you get your regional sports network. In the Mid Atlantic,, I get Comcast Sports Net out of DC(now I also get MASN). The Bullets and Caps game on still shown there. But, if I want to see a Sabres game in years past, even if i paid to get Empire, they would be blacked out everywhere but Buffalo.

Now maybe in Philly somehow it was differant, I am not sure. What I will say that if they can start to build a netwrok to compete with ESPN, all I can say is AMEN Brother

Im not so sure about that. For instance, all pro games are blacked out on the regional sports network, or else you would just order them and not the specific sports  subscirption ala Center Ice. However, as part of the basic package on D*, you get your regional sports network. In the Mid Atlantic,, I get Comcast Sports Net out of DC(now I also get MASN). The Bullets and Caps game on still shown there. But, if I want to see a Sabres game in years past, even if i paid to get Empire, they would be blacked out everywhere but Buffalo.

Now maybe in Philly somehow it was differant, I am not sure. What I will say that if they can start to build a netwrok to compete with ESPN, all I can say is AMEN Brother

410818[/snapback]

It IS different in Philadelphia.

Comcast SportsNet (Philadelphia) does not broadcast on Satellite and refuses to do so.

Comcast bought out HTS in Baltimore/Washington, but HTS is still under contract to satellite. After that contract expires (2007?) Comcast Sportsnet Washington/Baltimore will no longer be available on Satellite.

Bad news, man.

From what I read, Comcast might be trying to position OLN as a competitor to ESPN:

"Over the past year, the channel has endured a major shift. The network's name is now what was once its acronym. The Outdoor Life Network is no longer and its motto is now, "We've Got A New Attitude." The hunting and fishing the network was founded on a decade ago is now mostly replaced with events ranging from the Tour de France and America's Cup to the All-Star BBQ Showdown. One of OLN's greatest assets is the 10 seasons of "Survivor" re-runs it purchased from CBS for a reported $10 million."

Article

Ironic that this article is on the ESPN website, huh?

I have dish network in buffalo and OLN is only available on their top 180 package. I signed up because they had the cheapest service. So, there is no way in hell I'll go to their top package just for the NHL. With Dish's record, no way they will bring it down to the base package.

I have dish network in buffalo and OLN is only available on their top 180 package.  I signed up because they had the cheapest service.  So, there is no way in hell I'll go to their top package just for the NHL.  With Dish's record, no way they will bring it down to the base package.

410871[/snapback]

Everyone is getting heated and they have no reason to yet. Mark my words, OLN will drop down to the basic tier channels. ESPN didn't care for hockey. This is a good thing. Plus, the NHL network will now be available in America.

Comcast SportsNet (Philadelphia) does not broadcast on Satellite and refuses to do so.

Comcast bought out HTS in Baltimore/Washington, but HTS is still under contract to satellite. After that contract expires (2007?) Comcast Sportsnet Washington/Baltimore will no longer be available on Satellite.

Bad news, man.

410822[/snapback]

This is absolutly correct. Comcast is bad news.

Wanna hear another Comcast gem? You've all heard about the broo-ha-ha about Comcast and the Asbestos King. Well, just recently, the court threw out Comcast's lawsuit vs the Asbestos King, with Comcast's argument being they were shut out of the O's telecast starting in 2007 because the AK formed his own, third-party network. All the time, Comcast has refused to broadcast's AK's network that the Nats are now on, MASN. The O's will join MASN after their contract with Comcast ends at the end of 2006.

Here's the kicker: Comcast is offering two Nats tickets to anyone in the DC area who signs up for cable! That's right, from the robber baron who refuses to show the Nats, they want to take you out to the ballgame, but forget about seeing the Nats on MASN.

Comcast marketing folks have really been taking a hit on this in the DC area. At first, people were rallying around them, only in the fact that they were taking on the Asbestos King...but this terrific blunder has really set them back a spell! :D

Bad news, man.

410822[/snapback]

That just sucks!!!! If I was a philly sports fan, I would not be a dish customer.Didn't know it worked that way in Philly. Wonder how this will affect the center ice. Like I said, 99% of that is the local coverage, so I really cant see the differance.

This is absolutly correct.  Comcast is bad news.

410902[/snapback]

Are any of the sports networks good newa?

I don't think so. The good ol' American way of competition is the best thing here (when the other guy is competing) and the major problem here it strikes me is that we choose through out government to allow powerful folks to buy monopolies with campaign contributions and justify it as streamlining which allows a standard in this new communication field to be set by bright guys (and folks like Microsoft generally demonstrate how bright they are by buying (stealing) something from someone else.

And that's EXACTLY what Comcast wants people to say.

Screw 'em.

CW

410966[/snapback]

Their network, they can set the rules I guess. Are you saying Fez that if you lived in Buffalo(no need for the ticket, at least for Bills games) and the Sabres games only on cable, you would still refuse to get cable. As you know, I am as big a fan of D* as you, however I would be a comcast customer today if that was the case.

Now, I NEED SOME INFO ON CENTER ICE!!!!!!!!!!!! Jonesing to watch some hockey, only about 7 weeks away

Are any of the sports networks good newa?\

At least the sports networks don't own entire distribution methods. :D I see your point though, and big companies in general are just making things bad all around :doh:

Their network, they can set the rules I guess.

True, although I don't think they should be allowed to have their own channel AND their own distribution method. Not going to change though (at least, not for the better, only for the worse).

Are you saying Fez that if you lived in Buffalo(no need for the ticket, at least for Bills games) and the Sabres games only on cable, you would still refuse to get cable.

Yes, I'd still refuse to get cable. I guess I just wouldn't get to watch any of the Sabres games. I was fine without it last year... :doh:

CW

Comcast will most likely make OLN a basic package channel for all outlets. They need to get into as many households as possible to get ad revenue up and to keep the NHL when the deal is up in two years.

This is a big move by Comcast to step up against the market controlling ESPN. I read an article from Canada a few weeks back saying ESPN could awaken a giant if they pass up on hockey.

In the end, if all works out, OLN will turn into ESPN-type channel and that will drive the prices of cable and satelitte down because ESPN charges ridiculous rates that are passed on to you and me.

410806[/snapback]

Please, hockey is penny-ante in MOST of the US of A. In many markets it rates lower than SOCCER even in TV ratings.