(LAMP)Anyone play Warhammer 40000?

The Poojer

My son, the same one, has been bugging me to let him start playing it. they have events at games workshop stores. I do not want to invest alot into it if he is not going to understand it or not want to play. btw he is still 13, any advise or knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hand him a football, otherwise he'll be wearing black clothing, eyeliner, and wondering why you didn't hug him more when he was little.

:)

408004[/snapback]

Absolutely! Then he'll know the value of a man in little red shorts, a little red hat and no shirt on. Man, that's just awesome.

naw. Warhammer 40K is a good game. Although, no chicks ever get involved nor find it cool, which is a drawback.

It's a potentially deep and fun game. Lots of time can be spent at it. Doing all of the modelling is fun. You find out which part of the game is most fun for you, and you often go and do more or similar things with your time that you enjoy. For example collecting/trading the figures, modelling/painting the figures or terrain (like model railroads), or the actual playing of the game itself which can be quite complecated if you learn all of the rules. Simple enough to play, LONG time to master.

Biggest drawbacks:

*Afformentioned chicks think hobby gaming is lame. (some truth here But less social stigma these days as computer games become more pervasive)

*miniatures from GamesWorkshop are EXPENSIVE.

*Social game but often with other slightly social oddballs. Hey, I'm a geek. shrug.

*Time intensive Lots of modelling time, Lots of prep time, and the Game is long (2-6 hours) If the kid likes it, he'll learn patience. I learned if from fishing and from gaming. Got to learn is somewhere.

If the kid likes it, it has a LOT of positives going for it though. It's a sophisticated game, that can teach as much as he's willing to spend time learning about it. There are also a gazillion websites out there as fan sites and teaching sites about the game. I recommend giving it a try. (My brother plays the game every week or so, and I've loosely played it with him for the last 15 years or so) FYI, my favorite part is doing the modelling.

Cheaper figures may be bought on ebay, especially in lots, and especially the basic type figures.

My son, the same one, has been bugging me to let him start playing it. they have events at games workshop stores.  I do not want to invest alot into it if he is not going to understand it or not want to play.  btw he is still 13, any advise or knowledge would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

407996[/snapback]

Buy him a soldering iron.

naw.  Warhammer 40K is a good game.  Although, no chicks ever get involved nor find it cool, which is a drawback. 

It's a potentially deep and fun game.  Lots of time can be spent at it.  Doing all of the modelling is fun.  You find out which part of the game is most fun for you, and you often go and do more or similar things with your time that you enjoy.  For example collecting/trading the figures,  modelling/painting the figures or terrain (like model railroads), or the actual playing of the game itself which can be quite complecated if you learn all of the rules.    Simple enough to play, LONG time to master. 

Biggest drawbacks:

*Afformentioned chicks think hobby gaming is lame. (some truth here But less social stigma these days as computer games become more pervasive)

*miniatures from GamesWorkshop are EXPENSIVE.

*Social game but often with other slightly social oddballs.  Hey, I'm a geek.  shrug.

*Time intensive  Lots of modelling time, Lots of prep time, and the Game is long (2-6 hours)  If the kid likes it, he'll learn patience.  I learned if from fishing and from gaming.  Got to learn is somewhere.

If the kid likes it, it has a LOT of positives going for it though.  It's a sophisticated game, that can teach as much as he's willing to spend time learning about it.    There are also a gazillion websites out there as fan sites and teaching sites about the game.  I recommend giving it a try.  (My brother plays the game every week or so, and I've loosely played it with him for the last 15 years or so)  FYI, my favorite part is doing the modelling.

Cheaper figures may be bought on ebay, especially in lots, and especially the basic type figures.

408234[/snapback]

All this is true. Warhammer is very expensive, if you want a game that's just as good (if not better) and has miniatures that are less expensive, try WarMachine.