Returning to Western NY

Septic can be a couple-few to several thousand depending on the design. Wells vary according to how deep it's necessary to drill. Likely ranges from a few to several thousand. Add in the cost of a water treatment system. I've been around the area and in my experience, WNY water sucks. Very high sulphur content. Summers spent haying there on my grandparents' farm, I had to have iced tea mix just to get it down the gullet, even when your tongue is wagging in severely dehydrating activity like that.

Then again, everyone always says everyone else's water tastes different. The best water I've ever had came from a spring off of a back road in the woods of Maine.

All the best in moving back.

Dude... the septic and well are the least of your problems. Trust me.... if you move back to this state, bring a 55 gallon drum of KY... cuz you're gonna take it in the posterior big time. Do you not realize NYS is the highest taxed state in the USA? I promise.... if your home is only assessed for $150 K (average home), plan on paying at least 6K/yr. in property taxes alone (and you get out of paying for water & sewer). Then don't forget the 7-9% sales tax (depending on the county to reside), plus 23¢/gallon of gas tax, state income tax, tolls for the pleasure of cruising on the thruway (one of the nations most unkempt highways), high auto insurance premiums, among the highest energy costs in the country, the world's laziest and most corrupt politicians, the home of $41 billion dollars a year in medicaid fraud, and lastly. the last place on earth that any company worth their salt would locate a business. And, oh yeah, that sucking sound you hear from all of ythat $$$$$ you just paid in taxes??? welll, look downward.... it's going down that huge sewer we fondly acronym "NYC".

Damn.... I can't wait to retire and get the F**K out this state!!!

The family and I have decided to relocate back to Western NY after 23 years of misery in the DC area.  We are in the process of looking for land.  Does anyone have a rough idea what septic and well cost?

406309[/snapback]

Probably a good move for your soul, and a bad one for your bank account.

Welcome home.

Dude... the septic and well are the least of your problems.  Trust me.... if you move back to this state, bring a 55 gallon drum of KY... cuz you're gonna take it in the posterior big time. Do you not realize NYS is the highest taxed state in the USA?  I promise.... if your home is only assessed for $150 K (average home), plan on paying at least 6K/yr. in property taxes alone (and you get out of paying for water & sewer).  Then don't forget the 7-9% sales tax (depending on the county to reside), plus 23¢/gallon of gas tax, state income tax, tolls for the pleasure of cruising on the thruway (one of the nations most unkempt highways), high auto insurance premiums, among the highest energy costs in the country, the world's laziest and most corrupt politicians, the home of $41 billion dollars a year in medicaid fraud, and lastly. the last place on earth that any company worth their salt would locate a business.  And, oh yeah, that sucking sound you hear from all of ythat $$$$$ you just paid in taxes???  welll, look downward.... it's going down that huge sewer we fondly acronym "NYC".

406515[/snapback]

Dude... the septic and well are the least of your problems.  Trust me.... if you move back to this state, bring a 55 gallon drum of KY... cuz you're gonna take it in the posterior big time. Do you not realize NYS is the highest taxed state in the USA?  I promise.... if your home is only assessed for $150 K (average home), plan on paying at least 6K/yr. in property taxes alone (and you get out of paying for water & sewer).  Then don't forget the 7-9% sales tax (depending on the county to reside), plus 23¢/gallon of gas tax, state income tax, tolls for the pleasure of cruising on the thruway (one of the nations most unkempt highways), high auto insurance premiums, among the highest energy costs in the country, the world's laziest and most corrupt politicians, the home of $41 billion dollars a year in medicaid fraud, and lastly. the last place on earth that any company worth their salt would locate a business.  And, oh yeah, that sucking sound you hear from all of ythat $$$$$ you just paid in taxes???  welll, look downward.... it's going down that huge sewer we fondly acronym "NYC".

406515[/snapback]

couldn't have said it any better!. I left in 1999. It's f-up there and there is no economic recovery in plan.

I am aware of the huge problems NT has, however I will benefit from not being taxed by the state on my federal retirement. As far as the taxes go, I live in a townhouse here and it is going for $325,000 I paid $65,000. I own only about 25 feet of property and I pay $3300 in taxes. Taxes on 1/4 acres here are about $7700. So I am not shy of taxes. We priced a Ryan home here in Howard county,MD it is going for $745,000 the same exact model is listed in Hamburg for $245,000. I know there is a lot to consider but I can't wait to get back.

406515[/snapback]

PLEASE get your facts straight. Oneida County is proud to be paying 9.75% sales tax. It is our duty to support all those who don't care to work.

[sad but true facts:

1) As part of the refuge relocation package, the immigrant is given a $5000 credit toward a new automobile.

2) A 16 year old girl can not enter into a legal contract UNTIL she becomes pregnant, then she is considered an adult and is allowed to do so. ]

I :D NY

406515[/snapback]

This is a sad situation overall, because WNY is fine place.

I got back last night after taking my daughter to UB. Amherst resembles a much less ritzy Long Island imo, except the people are much nicer.

You guys know far more about the WNY economy than me, but the restaurants and hotels were packed, and one would think that the schools would add to the economy.

Speaking of schools, UB is beautiful, and the tuition is approx. 6 grand, as opposed to the 35 or so that other schools cost.

Btw, at the tour, there was a 45 minute introductory speech. When the admissions officer finally mentioned the Bills, I started clapping (in a silent room). The 50 other people were laughing, but I think I embarrassed my daughter. :D

[quote=Bill from NYC,Aug 14

Btw, at the tour, there was a 45 minute introductory speech. When the admissions officer finally mentioned the Bills, I started clapping (in a silent room). The 50 other people were laughing, but I think I embarrassed my daughter. :D

Bill, if you have a daughter of college age, I'll bet that it was not the first that you embarressed her. :D My daughter attended Buff State there and it was fun getting her moved in and settled. She had a great experience in Buffalo.

We wish her the best.

Man, where do I start? I have a masters in urban planning, work in land development (i.e., design neighborhoods for the rich) and it would seem like I'd promote this area. But I don't. Do yourself a favor, stay away. Goverment is unskilled to do its job. Unions run this town and refuse to allow change (i.e., operate with market conditions). And taxes, yes taxes. I could go on for days.

Buying raw land has its benefits but also its problems. As noted previously water quality can be an issue. Most rural wells need water treatment which can be hundreds of dollars a year. Doens't sound like much until you compare it with buying into an existing neighborhood and paying for water quarterly though the municipality. Same goes for the well.

I can tell you right now, that buying a vacant lot in any development is expensive. By the time the developer pays for improvements (sewers, water, roads, sidewalks, etc), a lot can easily exceed $100k for less than a half acre. So if you're buying a new home on one of these lots and paying $250k, I don't have to tell you the quality of the home. Even if the lot was $60k, the home is still suspect.

Do what you wish, but I'd go somewhere else. It's not worth it.

Dear Stuck,

My family and I moved back to Western NY from Binghamton NY two weeks ago, so I know of some of the issues you are dealing with. We felt it was the right move with raising our little boy - the Niagara Frontier is one of the best areas in the nation for families and was recently rated number #1 in the nation for affordable homes and interest rates. We ar e thrilled to be back.

In terms of land with septic or well .... you might try Youngstown, Wilson, Newfane or Olcott ... all have land available that would suit your desires and they are located on either the Niagara River or Lake Ontario and it is absolutely gorgeous!

Best of luck!

The family and I have decided to relocate back to Western NY after 23 years of misery in the DC area.  We are in the process of looking for land.  Does anyone have a rough idea what septic and well cost?

406309[/snapback]